This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a similar/better defensive core comparable to Ferrothorn/Jellicent?

#21Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 6:18:53 PM
sabeta_sama posted...
Saintpara posted...
sabeta_sama posted...
Ferro/Jelli core was terrible. Fighting/Dark was the most common attack type combination.

No? Fighting/GHOST was fairly common, and Fighting/Rock was as well. I remember very few Pokemon outside of the lower tiers running Fighting/Dark. Just Scizor, who had them more incidentally than because they covered each other (he wanted Pursuit) and some physical Lucario.

Toxicroak runs Sub-Punch and Sucker Punch (not popular until later on)
DD Scrafty, need I say more? (popular early on)
Machamp/Conkeldurr: Fighting move of choice+Payback (no longer popular because Alakazam)
Aforementioned Scizor
Tyranitar (Crunch/Pursuit/Superpower)
Hydreigon (Not popular)
Lucario
Weavile (was used briefly early on)

Fighting/Ghost is primarily used by Special Attackers, such as Gengar and Alakazam, but a much more significant part of the meta was Fighting/Dark. As you said Fighting/Rock was, and still is VERY popular.

The slower ones here can be WoW'd easily though. Switch in on the predicted Fighting attack on Ferro then burn them. Some of these hesitate switching in because of TWave, WoW, Toxic, and Scald
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#22Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 6:51:01 PM
theject posted...
theject posted...
Alomomola, that beautiful beast of a UU says whats up with that sexy 165 HP base base, 80 Defense base, Regenerator and Wish.

God I love Momo.

I correct my statement with NU...didn't realize people ignored her that hard.

You can edit you know
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#23Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 7:04:01 PM
SorceressTharja posted...
Sylveon and Florges are too utterly similar, that in a defensive core they're probably interchangable. Both pure-fairy, wish-passing special walls/tanks. Both can run Moonblast/Wish/Protect/Toxic as a good set. IMHO, Sylveon>Florges but as I was saying the two are incredibly similar.

Well Florges has Aromatherapy for team support
---
#24SorceressTharjaPosted 10/27/2013 7:05:19 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
Sylveon and Florges are too utterly similar, that in a defensive core they're probably interchangable. Both pure-fairy, wish-passing special walls/tanks. Both can run Moonblast/Wish/Protect/Toxic as a good set. IMHO, Sylveon>Florges but as I was saying the two are incredibly similar.

As soon as Pokebank comes out, Sylveon will have Heal Bell for the same purpose.
#25Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 7:19:45 PM
IrishMercenary posted...
Skarmory does work well,
I was going to advise Heatran to round off Grass/Fire/Water core.

Nice idea. You can go from defensive to offensive easily w/ that pairing
---
#26Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 7:36:04 PM(edited)
the_cajun88 posted...
Reginleif20 posted...
sabeta_sama posted...
Ferro/Jelli core was terrible. Fighting/Dark was the most common attack type combination.

Because the other 4 members of your team can't cover that combo

If they need more support, then they aren't that good of a core.

Name something good then
---
#27SaintparaPosted 10/27/2013 7:45:33 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
sabeta_sama posted...
Saintpara posted...
sabeta_sama posted...

No? Fighting/GHOST was fairly common, and Fighting/Rock was as well. I remember very few Pokemon outside of the lower tiers running Fighting/Dark. Just Scizor, who had them more incidentally than because they covered each other (he wanted Pursuit) and some physical Lucario.

Machamp/Conkeldurr: Fighting move of choice+Payback (no longer popular because Alakazam)
Aforementioned Scizor
Hydreigon (Not popular)
Lucario

Fighting/Ghost is primarily used by Special Attackers, such as Gengar and Alakazam, but a much more significant part of the meta was Fighting/Dark. As you said Fighting/Rock was, and still is VERY popular.

The slower ones here can be WoW'd easily though. Switch in on the predicted Fighting attack on Ferro then burn them. Some of these hesitate switching in because of TWave, WoW, Toxic, and Scald

These are also mostly UU super heroes. Toxicroak was only briefly popular, as was Scrafty. Weavile hasn't been OU since late Gen 4 and poor Machamp lingered at the bottom of OU until he FINALLY dropped to UU where he could shine a little. Hydreigon was extremely rare and a niche choice. So what, you had Ttar, Luke and Scizor? Three top guys, for sure, but all burnable and on the slow side. Scizor also got STAB on neither and Pursuit didn't scare Jellicent unless it actually ran away, which it wouldn't.
---
Plothooker - www.plothook.net - Get Hook'd
"Is there a barista in here? Because this roast just got DARK!" - Andy Samberg
#28Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:02:03 PM
Reginleif20 posted...

As soon as Pokebank comes out, Sylveon will have Heal Bell for the same purpose.

Umm, Florges has Grass moves? Damn, These two are way too similar
---
#29Reginleif20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:18:23 PM
Saintpara posted...
Reginleif20 posted...
sabeta_sama posted...
Saintpara posted...
sabeta_sama posted...

Aforementioned Scizor
Hydreigon (Not popular)
Lucario

These are also mostly UU super heroes. Toxicroak was only briefly popular, as was Scrafty. Weavile hasn't been OU since late Gen 4 and poor Machamp lingered at the bottom of OU until he FINALLY dropped to UU where he could shine a little. Hydreigon was extremely rare and a niche choice. So what, you had Ttar, Luke and Scizor? Three top guys, for sure, but all burnable and on the slow side. Scizor also got STAB on neither and Pursuit didn't scare Jellicent unless it actually ran away, which it wouldn't.

This
---
#30RaiderX98Posted 10/27/2013 8:21:36 PM
Token SkarmBliss post.
---
3DS fc- 1246 8733 9947 PM if you added/want to add me
Psychic Safari with Abra, Xatu, and Espurr