This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are any of the mega evolutions actually an upgrade?

#11Kromlech06Posted 10/27/2013 9:29:14 AM
It's a fair tradeoff rather than a 100% no cost boost.

Anybody who thinks all megas are going to ubers are nuts.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
PM and I'll add you too. You know you want Water Absorb Maractus.
#12MaruKazeryuPosted 10/27/2013 9:29:17 AM
IceDragon77 posted...
Uh yes? All of them?

Mega Evolution instantly gives your pokemon 100 more BST. So while some get abilities that aren't great, they get way better stats.

it also sacrifices their hold item, which some pokemon that can mega evolve have their great strategies that rely on specific items
---
4639-9811-6534 -Pokemon X/Y Friend Code. PM if you add. Trainer name: Marii
Friend Safari: Grumpig, Sigilyph, Girafarig
#13TakethatbackPosted 10/27/2013 9:29:30 AM
Mawile definitely, even though some dude just wrecked my whole team >_>
she was a major contributor to knocking at least a few of his Pokemon out.
#14Avison(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 9:34:16 AM
Well a lot of the mega evolutions seemed great until I realized the speed bonus only applied to the turn after you mega evolved. You don't get the advantage of out speeding with a certain sweeper mega evolving.
---
-True knowledge is understanding why you truly know nothing.
GT: "Avison Atrius" BB Mains: Hakumen, Arakune
#15Mewtwo_soulPosted 10/27/2013 9:35:32 AM
Avison posted...
Well a lot of the mega evolutions seemed great until I realized the speed bonus only applied to the turn after you mega evolved. You don't get the advantage of out speeding with a certain sweeper mega evolving.

Well some will need specific moves for set up, such as Absol and Protect.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#16SupremeZeroPosted 10/27/2013 9:37:28 AM(edited)
Some lose out to the originals, yeah, but there's still a lot that definitely benefit. Like Mawile.
---
There's always hope for better things in life. But you can't let anything, friend, lover, God himself, be your hope. You have to be your own hope.
#17Avison(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 9:38:01 AM
SupremeZero posted...
Some lose out to the originals, yeah, but there's still a lot that definitely benefit. Like Mawile.

That is what I said.
---
-True knowledge is understanding why you truly know nothing.
GT: "Avison Atrius" BB Mains: Hakumen, Arakune
#18chumpykalamoonaPosted 10/27/2013 10:10:24 AM
Kromlech06 posted...
It's a fair tradeoff rather than a 100% no cost boost.

Anybody who thinks all megas are going to ubers are nuts.

Some Megas are pretty balanced, sure.
But we don't know how Smogon/whatever will decide how Megas should be.
In their simulations, Blaziken became Uber once it got Speed Boost as a Hidden Ability. Not specifically Speed Boost Blaziken, but Blaziken in general. You couldn't even use a Blaze Blaziken in OU, because they felt it was easier to ban the entire Pokemon to Ubers, rather than have special cases based on ability. If I remember correctly.

So some Pokemon who were previously OU, and are now better with Mega, may get banned solely due to Mega use.

More likely, if that's the case, then Mega Stones will be banned items in all tiers bar Uber, essentially making all Megas Uber, regardless of actual effectiveness.

It really just depends on if whoever is in charge wants to do it as a case-by-case basis, or wants to blanket ban all Mega Evolutions based on a few overpowered ones.

If I got something wrong, however, please enlighten me. I've been out of the game for a while, and I think that's what I heard about Blaziken last gen.

Right now, I think the most accurate thing anyone can say is "Who knows?"
---
Are you okay!? BUSTAH WULF!