This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If IVs didnt exst no one would have a problem with breeding.

#21ClassyOldHatPosted 10/27/2013 1:49:21 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
The IV system is there to make your pokes more unique. :vGamefreak never intended for people to conduct experiments in eugenics in order to perfect them to get a competitive edge.

If the pokecommunity just stopped worrying about IVs all together then no one would have to breed for them in the first place.

First, if nobody worried about it, things would not be balanced. The only difference would be that that only the lucky would have a significant advantage over the unlucky, rather than the luck and the hackers. Because IVs are a pure statistical upgrade, with no downsides, and stay with a trainer forever, things would not just "average out," the way those who make this argument claim.

Second, the job of making Pokemon unique has already been done, and in a much more significant and noticeable way, through Natures and abilities. Most RPGs have no statistical variation between members of the same class at all, natures already put Pokemon leagues ahead of others, without the need for randomly making some pokemon objectively better than all other members of their species. There is no need to sacrifice game balance for the sake "uniqueness" in a few stats that is barely noticeable in the single player mode, even when you are looking for it.

Third, Power items and Destiny Knot show that Game Freak DO want players breeding. The solutions people here are suggesting to remove the elements of luck would actually make Pokemon's breeding system LESS of a puppy mill/eugenics experiment, because you'd be getting the desired result on the 1st through 5th try, if you knew the right methods rather than going through and throwing out boxes of babies because the RNG decided they would never be able to keep up with their peers.
#22HalecticPosted 10/27/2013 1:55:14 PM
Inferno05 posted...
Shiny, yes. There are those like me who consider shiny nothing but a glorified pallet swap and don't mind hacking for them. We're not going to trade them out to the world, what would we want that we can't make ourselves? It's just that I prefer orange Chandelure to purple. For egg moves, people would just level up the parents and then breed properly. Without IVs there would be no hacking except for shiny, and since we wouldn't trade these shinies there would be no argument because there wouldn't be even the illusion of some sort of competitive advantage to hacking. With Everstone guaranteeing nature and Egg moves already guaranteed if the baby is compatible, we could then start getting the right pokemon in 1 egg rather than 50. Why would we hack to save 5 minutes of a single breed?

They would still hack shinies and events.

No one except two or three people in the world have a legit Wish Chansey, everyone else has a hacked one for example.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#23BaitandSwitchPosted 10/27/2013 2:05:50 PM
r7gerrabbit posted...
IV's DO NOT require effort, skill, or anything of the sort.
They are a mindless GRIND. That is not fun in any way, shape, or form. It's a mechanic that relies on RNG and moving your character back and forth for hours.

It's mindless garbage.

I do not deny that it is a grind. However, grinding is effort. As far as I'm concerned, there are three component's to a player's overall strength: their skill in battle, their cunning in designing their team, and their diligence in building it.

Fun? Subjective. I do not enjoy the grind itself, but I enjoy the satisfaction of it being worthwhile when I'm done.

I wouldn't object to making breeding more dynamic and amusing, though.
#24FafnirPosted 10/27/2013 2:11:15 PM
BaitandSwitch posted...
r7gerrabbit posted...
IV's DO NOT require effort, skill, or anything of the sort.
They are a mindless GRIND. That is not fun in any way, shape, or form. It's a mechanic that relies on RNG and moving your character back and forth for hours.

It's mindless garbage.

I do not deny that it is a grind. However, grinding is effort. As far as I'm concerned, there are three component's to a player's overall strength: their skill in battle, their cunning in designing their team, and their diligence in building it.

Fun? Subjective. I do not enjoy the grind itself, but I enjoy the satisfaction of it being worthwhile when I'm done.

I wouldn't object to making breeding more dynamic and amusing, though.

Pick up egg from the daycare. Hold left for 20-30 seconds, then hold right for 20-30 seconds, all while paying attention to something more worth my time. Read or something. Repeat around 20-40 times. Check new pokemon, find it inadequate, discard and repeat 50-200+ times.

I have spent more time running up and down route 7 than I have doing any other thing in the entire game. Considering the mechanical nature of this process, I can barely even be considered to even be playing the game at this point.
---
PSN: TheManingrey
ACVD ID: Wintermute / 3DS FC: 0860-4081-6465
#25MivoPosted 10/27/2013 2:16:32 PM
Fafnir posted...
I have spent more time running up and down route 7 than I have doing any other thing in the entire game. Considering the mechanical nature of this process, I can barely even be considered to even be playing the game at this point.

Yes, it feels like work, not like a game. I bred a Shinx with 6 perfect IVs and just finished its EV training. At this point, I feel like playing something else entirely to actually have some fun.

I'm happy with the Shinx, but it showed me one thing clearly: This isn't for me. I have a huge backlog of games and spending recreation time on something that isn't providing entertainment is nonsensical. I'll just keep filling the Pokedex, which is something I do enjoy. But the IV grind, even in its improved form, just isn't fun. (I generally don't mind grinds, but here it is tedious.)