This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to get into competitive battling?

#1MrSkormPosted 10/27/2013 1:00:07 PM
As someone who has never really played Pokemon competitively, what advice would you give to someone that wants to get more out of their game.

I have glanced over certain mons on Smogon (Smogen?) & Seribii but it's a lot to take in.

I've made my 1st ever competitive mon: Scizor (fave pokemon) with 31 IVs in all but SpAtk & EV'ed into max Attack & Hp, the rest into speed. No idea about what moves to use, I want to use: Bullet punch, U-turn, Sword Dance & Pursuit but neither of the previous sites have this set in their lists, is it viable to play against the grain?

I've no idea where to go from here, I don't know the competitive mons, was happy to find out that Scizor was a decent pick.
---
PSN/GT:MrSkorm
Top of your Speedwall since 4/12/10
#2POPSHU_FRUITCHUPosted 10/27/2013 1:03:19 PM
MrSkorm posted...
As someone who has never really played Pokemon competitively, what advice would you give to someone that wants to get more out of their game.

I have glanced over certain mons on Smogon (Smogen?) & Seribii but it's a lot to take in.

I've made my 1st ever competitive mon: Scizor (fave pokemon) with 31 IVs in all but SpAtk & EV'ed into max Attack & Hp, the rest into speed. No idea about what moves to use, I want to use: Bullet punch, U-turn, Sword Dance & Pursuit but neither of the previous sites have this set in their lists, is it viable to play against the grain?

I've no idea where to go from here, I don't know the competitive mons, was happy to find out that Scizor was a decent pick.

From what I understand, Smogon is very strict with their sets, so I usually base my EV's off of their site, and then test movesets that work. That's what it all comes down to though, is testing and gaining experience. Though I'm like you, I've finally bred my first 5 IV pokemon(Volcarona) and am now just getting into the online battling of the games.
---
*Opposing Pokemon leans in to your Pokemon*
"Your mom was a slutty Ditto, you have over 100 siblings with 6 different dads"
#3MrSkorm(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 1:20:24 PM
Bump
---
PSN/GT:MrSkorm
Top of your Speedwall since 4/12/10
#4lambchipsPosted 10/27/2013 1:21:33 PM
Just go do battle maison... that was how I got into team building
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green