This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just finished a Monotype Bug run

#1Monkins42Posted 10/27/2013 2:15:39 PM
I'm not sure if anyone even remembers me asking for advice on which type to do first, but a lot of you recommended Bug type to me, which I actually used!

Let me just say DANG, that was pretty tough, Malva and Wilkstrom were probably the toughest parts of the game for me. And Grant gets an honorable mention, because he beat me nearly a dozen times before I finally earned that gym badge. (Amaura was a little devil, Ice and Rock was x4 effective against half my team).

My final team members were:

Hoplite the female Vivillon. (High Plains Pattern to those who care)
My pseudo starter, and a surprisingly good Poke, definitely the best out of any game's generic early evolving Bug.
Ability was Shield Dust (probably would've been better with Compound Eyes)
Attacks were Hurricane, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, and Draining Kiss.

Bachelor the male Butterfree.
Bachelor was okay, he was probably the weakest link of my team sadly though, although he had a pretty good strategy going for him which I'll explain in a second.
Ability was Shield Dust
Attacks we Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, Psybeam and Whirlwind.

Royella the female Beedrill.
At first I was sure Royella was my weakest link, but she was able to solo the Fairy gym thanks to Poison being super effective on Fairy. (Fell Stinger is an awesome move when used correctly)
Ability was Swarm
Attacks were Poison Jab, Fell Stinger, Swords Dance, and Toxic Spikes (Two layers of Toxic Spikes + Bachelor's Whirlwind was awesome for badly poisoning the entire team of strong opponents.)

Rototil the male Scolipede
Was another powerhouse on my team, but was a nightmare to train and level up, he was so weak until he finally evolved. Another good Fairy killer, and the only way I was able to beat Wilkstom thanks to Bulldoze.
Ability was Poison Point.
Attacks were Megahorn, Poison Tail, Bulldoze and Swords Dance.

Pondler the male Yanmega
A saving grace for my team, without him there was literally no way I would've been able to beat Malva's Talonflame, that thing was an absolute nightmare.
Ability was Speed Boost
Attacks were Bug Buzz, Air Slash, Ancient Power, and Protect. (Only by using protect to get a free Speed Boost, followed by an Ancient Power was I able to kill that Talonflame)

Naginata the female Scizor
The last addition to me team, she was actually really helpful, being really reliable to take a hit as well as dish out damage, but due to adding her right before the elite four, she didn't get nearly as much usage as the others (who were all on my team shortly after beating the second gym)
Ability Technician
Attacks Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Swords Dance, and Strength (Someone had to get stuck with it)

An honorable mention goes out to Seesil, the Pelipper, who was a fantastic HM slave, sporting Fly, and Surf. Too bad I had to force him to spam Swallow if all of my other Pokes fainted, just so he wouldn't accidentally kill something and win me a battle.

ANYWAYS, it was a lot of fun, and a nice challenge, also a great way to Train up 6 Nice Bug Types to trade over into my X version.

Any input on which type I should attempt next?
---
Xbox 360 Gamer-Tag: Alec8717
3DS Friend Code: 1950-8272-8519
#2DigitalIncisionPosted 10/27/2013 2:16:42 PM
oh

by monotype I thought you meant only pokemon of one PURE type

this is slightly less impressive but still really interesting
---
Digi
Board 8 Late Night Crew [LNC]
#3Shigmiya64Posted 10/27/2013 2:18:13 PM
Normal!
---
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."
My 3DS Friend Code: 0705 - 3328 - 1003
#4thedeadly0Posted 10/27/2013 2:19:02 PM
Try a Wonderlocke
Basically just like a Nuzlocke but you have to trade away every pokemon you catch to Wonder Trade and you have to use the pokemon you get. I ended up with a team of a polar pattern Vivillion, a Ursaring, a Scyther, a red Florges, a Ilumise and a Clawitzer
It really is interesting how versatile your team can be in a Wonderlocke. RIP Sorry the Diggersby
#5Monkins42(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 2:21:18 PM
Normal does sound like a lot of fun, but I just realized Ice might be a really interesting type, and it will give me a good reason to use an Aurorus on my team too!
---
Xbox 360 Gamer-Tag: Alec8717
3DS Friend Code: 1950-8272-8519
#6Cecil_Del_SolPosted 10/27/2013 2:21:36 PM
DigitalIncision posted...
by monotype I thought you meant only pokemon of one PURE type

This. "Monotype" is a bit of a misnomer. I'd have gone with "Gym Leader," or something.

Nonetheless, seems interesting. Might take such a route with my X.
---
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1920/3dspictures002.jpg
Cecil is a man with honor. ~ AncientPancakes
#7Shigmiya64Posted 10/27/2013 2:24:08 PM(edited)
Monkins42 posted...
Normal does sound like a lot of fun, but I just realized Ice might be a really interesting type, and it will give me a good reason to use an Aurorus on my team too!

Thing is, you're gonna have a hard time filling out your team early on with ice.

Though, you could ask for mystery Ice type eggs from the forums. I know I'd contribute!
---
"Remember to believe in magic, or I'll kill you."
My 3DS Friend Code: 0705 - 3328 - 1003
#8piranhapetePosted 10/27/2013 2:24:06 PM
I'm pretty sure this is what monotype has always meant. All of your team includes one type.
---
I count triple because I'm the False Spring Queen!
So you ARE outnumbered, cakesniffers.
#9SilverwyrmPosted 10/27/2013 2:27:28 PM
Shigmiya64 posted...
Monkins42 posted...

Thing is, you're gonna have a hard time filling out your team early on with ice.

Though, you could ask for mystery Ice type eggs from the forums. I know I'd contribute!

trade over eggs from another game
---
3ds friend code: 5086-1083-5381
#10SilverwyrmPosted 10/27/2013 2:28:22 PM
piranhapete posted...
I'm pretty sure this is what monotype has always meant. All of your team includes one type.

pure typing only would be extremely hard to get the pokemon for, and possibly impossible for some, so yea

I mean...how many pure bugs do we have?
---
3ds friend code: 5086-1083-5381