This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So IVs really don't make much of a difference?

#21KazamA87Posted 10/27/2013 9:12:44 PM
For me, I like to have at least 3-5 IVs for my pokemon, one always being speed, but I could care less about having all perfect 6 IV pokemon. I was breeding and got a 4 Perfect IV adamant scyther and a jolly 5 IV Gabite so I'm happy.
#22UtadaPosted 10/27/2013 9:16:13 PM
ShadowMaster684 posted...

Here's a perfect example: My Mewtwo has an 18 in its Sp.Atk IV. If I mega-evolve it to Y, I have a 93% chance of OHKOing a Darkrai with Aura Sphere. I have enough bulk to tank one STAB move from it, and it's faster than me. I would NEED an OHKO in that situation, or else I would not win that particular battle.

If my Sp.Atk IV was 25 or higher, it would guarantee me the OHKO, every time. That's how much of a difference it makes. Granted, 93% chances are nice, but you know how this game's RNG works. It's going to fail you during the most dire circumstances. IVs can really be that needed edge.

That's assuming Darkrai has 31 sp. def IVs.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/8bcMusic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Utada/sig.jpg
#23Xenesis XenonPosted 10/27/2013 9:16:57 PM
Utada posted...

That's what you *should* be assuming.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#24UtadaPosted 10/27/2013 9:18:44 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...

Hacking strikes again!
---
#25Xenesis XenonPosted 10/27/2013 9:21:17 PM
Utada posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...

Hacking strikes again!

Yes, because they didn't change the IV system for Legendaries in this Gen to allow them to have 3 Guaranteed 31 IVs. Preposterous. It MUST be Hacking. Or perhaps planning for the worst case scenario.

(Yes, I know you can't get a Gen 6 Darkrai yet. It'll happen through some kind of event or third game).
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#26EnlinoPosted 10/27/2013 9:27:41 PM
Utada posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...

Hacking strikes again!

I don't know if you noticed, but there's a lot of people with Pokemon that have 31s in all important stats, and X and Y haven't even been hacked yet!!!

Seriously though, you should always assume your opponent is prepared. If your plan hinges on them not caring about something that matters then it's a bad plan.
#27UtadaPosted 10/27/2013 9:30:20 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...

Hacking strikes again!

Yes, because they didn't change the IV system for Legendaries in this Gen to allow them to have 3 Guaranteed 31 IVs. Preposterous. It MUST be Hacking. Or perhaps planning for the worst case scenario.

(Yes, I know you can't get a Gen 6 Darkrai yet. It'll happen through some kind of event or third game).

If I'm using non-31 IVs I'm most likely going to assume non-31 IVs as well.

Then again, Darkrai would have to sacrifice somewhere else, too. It won't be speed, so then it's def, HP, or special attack is going to be lower.
---
#28RAcastBlasterPosted 10/27/2013 9:32:54 PM
Utada posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Utada posted...

Hacking strikes again!

If I'm using non-31 IVs I'm most likely going to assume non-31 IVs as well.

Then again, Darkrai would have to sacrifice somewhere else, too. It won't be speed, so then it's def, HP, or special attack is going to be lower.

You always, ALWAYS assume the worst of your opponent. Not doing so is a terrible strategy...
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Y, Xenoblade Chronicles, 3DS FC: 2277-7562-5299
All bow down to your Steel type overlords!
#29ShadowMaster684Posted 10/27/2013 9:33:25 PM
Utada posted...

That's the entire point of my post, though.

That is the difference between perfection and imperfection - granted, most situations aren't going to be that slim, but it makes a difference.

For the record, it's even more important when you look at that Darkrai's Speed. My Mewtwo Y has a Speed IV of 31 - meaning that a perfect Darkrai is only 4 speed points higher. If its IV is 26 (which is a great IV, for the record) or less, it loses that fight every time - it doesn't matter whether I OHKO or not.

I'll absolutely say this: In probably 95% of the circumstances you come across, perfect IVs aren't going to make that much of a difference, but they DO have an impact. It can be the difference between a guaranteed 2HKO/possible 3HKO, it could mean that your wall can't sponge that one last attack that would give you the chance to counter an opponent.

Perfect 31s across the board may not be necessary, but those differences shouldn't just be thrown away.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0361-6447-6950
#30lenia272Posted 10/29/2013 1:19:09 PM
People complaining that perfect IV's require no life should spend 10 minutes researching. I bred my 5 perfect iv fenekin in about 30-45 mins.(decently good rng) 6 is admittedly kinda useless besides for pride/bragging rights and 5 is prolly not really needed but 4 perfect iv's literally takes almost no time or effort to get. A full team of 6 with all 31 speed/attack iv's combined vrs 6 mediocre will almost certainly swing the advantage in a battle. If you care less about battling at all and never plan to do any then yeah... don't worry about IV's.