This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people."

#61pushstart89Posted 10/31/2013 2:28:54 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
Azure_Flame posted...
"Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

Am I the only one that also find using 'favorites' kinda selfish too? Picking the ones you like seems similar to using only good ones (just instead of stats, they look good)

Not really because favourites can have strong stats and a lot of the strongest Pokémon stat wise are also designed to look good as well so it's not that black and white. It's about attachment and that can be for a number of reasons.
#62SerperiorThanUPosted 10/31/2013 2:29:26 PM
pushstart89 posted...
SerperiorThanU posted...
pushstart89 posted...
I 100% agree with this sentiment and that dude winning at the Vancouver championships with an Amoongus, shows that it can be done.

I've loved Clefable long before Fairy typing and happily made someone's day by trading in my legendary for a Clefairy on the GTS, (yes I know I was robbed), but I always battle with favourites knowing that many of them are seen as mediocre in competitive rankings.

Lol I don't want to call you naive or even ignorant but Amoongus is top tier for doubles, there is nothing remarkable about an Amoongus being among a team that won the championships.

Clefable was never terribad either.

haha so I'm guessing your against winning with favourites then? Simply 'wrong' would have done naive and ignorant seem a bit harsh to call someone over Pokemon

What an illogical conclusion. I'm all for winning with favorites... if you can even win with them. It's just that you seemed so smug that a guy winning with Amoongus meant something when Amoongus is a top tier Pokemon in doubles anyways.

And what does that mean "against winning with favorites?" choose whatever the heck you want, just don't yap about the Pokemon I choose because your team was crushed by mine.
#63SerperiorThanUPosted 10/31/2013 2:33:17 PM(edited)
pushstart89 posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
Azure_Flame posted...

Am I the only one that also find using 'favorites' kinda selfish too? Picking the ones you like seems similar to using only good ones (just instead of stats, they look good)

Not really because favourites can have strong stats and a lot of the strongest Pokémon stat wise are also designed to look good as well so it's not that black and white. It's about attachment and that can be for a number of reasons.

Yeah, who said our favorites can't be strong ones like Garchomp and Mega Gengar? But his point was valid. There's no difference between picking for the stats and picking for the design if that's what makes it their favorite. That said, I personally don't have favorites, I like all Pokemon. So I make multiple teams. Remember, your teams need to be well balanced and constructed though and have a purpose. Don't just cram all 6 fire starters into one team. That's when it gets exasperating.
#64pushstart89Posted 10/31/2013 2:38:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#65SerperiorThanUPosted 10/31/2013 3:25:31 PM(edited)
pushstart89 posted...

I think you need to calm down.
#66D_BartPosted 10/31/2013 2:51:44 PM
Azure_Flame posted...

"Oh, but don't worry, we've installed an IV system where some Pokemon are born genetically inferior to other ones."
---
Splash
#67AmirygonPosted 10/31/2013 3:16:52 PM
RE: "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people."

...in theory, yet the gameplay clearly does not support this as others said. On the other hand, even if it did - whose to say many people's favorites aren't the more powerful? Everyone has their preferences and/or their own style.

NewbieN00b posted...
Azure_Flame posted...

Well no, you aren't.
---
It is the fact you are offended, quite frankly, that offends me.
#68ShadowComedusPosted 11/2/2013 2:15:26 AM
I have this one major issue with most of my raising of pokemon.

I don't remember which pokemon it was, but it did not matter what it's nature was, what it's characteristics were, or even what its IVs were, I could even max out the EVs in favour of the Physical Attack moves it learned, it's Special Attack would always outclass the rest of its stats.

Now I've told you it learned Physical Attacks moves, now get this: It learned NO Special Attack type moves. So this pokemon has a high SpeAtk. but no Special Attack moves. Now, thankfully this pokemon could learn TMs that were special attacks, but they were either hard to obtain, or in post-game.

Now I don't remember which Gen I was playing either, but still, I was going "wtf" the entire time.

So, on a social level, I would agree with the "Win with your faves", but definately in competition, I would take a team that would kick rear end.

And about choosing pokemon for esthetics, you serve us up something like Palpatoad and Seismetoad, and you think I'm going to use that in favour of something else that can do the same job without making me want to hurl all over my desk?

Have you ever heard of the song "Dreamer" ?
---
-------------------------
Boredom is a frame of mind where one sits there and says "I found a pin hole in the wall..."
#69SerperiorThanUPosted 11/2/2013 5:19:32 AM(edited)
ShadowComedus posted...
I have this one major issue with most of my raising of pokemon.

I don't remember which pokemon it was, but it did not matter what it's nature was, what it's characteristics were, or even what its IVs were, I could even max out the EVs in favour of the Physical Attack moves it learned, it's Special Attack would always outclass the rest of its stats.

Now I've told you it learned Physical Attacks moves, now get this: It learned NO Special Attack type moves. So this pokemon has a high SpeAtk. but no Special Attack moves. Now, thankfully this pokemon could learn TMs that were special attacks, but they were either hard to obtain, or in post-game.

Now I don't remember which Gen I was playing either, but still, I was going "wtf" the entire time.

So, on a social level, I would agree with the "Win with your faves", but definately in competition, I would take a team that would kick rear end.

And about choosing pokemon for esthetics, you serve us up something like Palpatoad and Seismetoad, and you think I'm going to use that in favour of something else that can do the same job without making me want to hurl all over my desk?

Have you ever heard of the song "Dreamer" ?

Gen I was filled with these as it had a garbage level up move selection and gen V Pokemon tried to emulate that too, but the one that pops into my mind the most is Chansey which had a very good Special (better than Charizard's -_-) but had an abysmal attack, the WORST in the game... And guess what kind of attacks Chansey can only learn through level up?
#70omega bahumatPosted 11/2/2013 8:21:44 AM
pushstart89 posted...
I 100% agree with this sentiment and that dude winning at the Vancouver championships with an Amoongus, shows that it can be done.

I've loved Clefable long before Fairy typing and happily made someone's day by trading in my legendary for a Clefairy on the GTS, (yes I know I was robbed), but I always battle with favourites knowing that many of them are seen as mediocre in competitive rankings.

Amoongus is really good though