This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people."

#71omega bahumatPosted 11/2/2013 8:22:32 AM
SerperiorThanU posted...
ShadowComedus posted...
I have this one major issue with most of my raising of pokemon.

I don't remember which pokemon it was, but it did not matter what it's nature was, what it's characteristics were, or even what its IVs were, I could even max out the EVs in favour of the Physical Attack moves it learned, it's Special Attack would always outclass the rest of its stats.

Now I've told you it learned Physical Attacks moves, now get this: It learned NO Special Attack type moves. So this pokemon has a high SpeAtk. but no Special Attack moves. Now, thankfully this pokemon could learn TMs that were special attacks, but they were either hard to obtain, or in post-game.

Now I don't remember which Gen I was playing either, but still, I was going "wtf" the entire time.

So, on a social level, I would agree with the "Win with your faves", but definately in competition, I would take a team that would kick rear end.

And about choosing pokemon for esthetics, you serve us up something like Palpatoad and Seismetoad, and you think I'm going to use that in favour of something else that can do the same job without making me want to hurl all over my desk?

Have you ever heard of the song "Dreamer" ?

Gen I was filled with these as it had a garbage level up move selection and gen V Pokemon tried to emulate that too, but the one that pops into my mind the most is Chansey which had a very good Special (better than Charizard's -_-) but had an abysmal attack, the WORST in the game... And guess what kind of attacks Chansey can only learn through level up?

Didnt matter in Gen 1 as once you got to Cinnabar you could teach Chansey anything you wanted via TMs infinite
#72ScythemantisPosted 11/2/2013 8:38:28 AM
If everyone actually did use just their favorites I think we would see a more diverse, balanced and fun metagame environment, but instead everyone is fixated on the numbers race.
---
creator of bogleech.com
#73SerperiorThanUPosted 11/2/2013 9:12:20 AM
omega bahumat posted...
SerperiorThanU posted...
ShadowComedus posted...
I have this one major issue with most of my raising of pokemon.

I don't remember which pokemon it was, but it did not matter what it's nature was, what it's characteristics were, or even what its IVs were, I could even max out the EVs in favour of the Physical Attack moves it learned, it's Special Attack would always outclass the rest of its stats.

Now I've told you it learned Physical Attacks moves, now get this: It learned NO Special Attack type moves. So this pokemon has a high SpeAtk. but no Special Attack moves. Now, thankfully this pokemon could learn TMs that were special attacks, but they were either hard to obtain, or in post-game.

Now I don't remember which Gen I was playing either, but still, I was going "wtf" the entire time.

So, on a social level, I would agree with the "Win with your faves", but definately in competition, I would take a team that would kick rear end.

And about choosing pokemon for esthetics, you serve us up something like Palpatoad and Seismetoad, and you think I'm going to use that in favour of something else that can do the same job without making me want to hurl all over my desk?

Have you ever heard of the song "Dreamer" ?

Gen I was filled with these as it had a garbage level up move selection and gen V Pokemon tried to emulate that too, but the one that pops into my mind the most is Chansey which had a very good Special (better than Charizard's -_-) but had an abysmal attack, the WORST in the game... And guess what kind of attacks Chansey can only learn through level up?

Didnt matter in Gen 1 as once you got to Cinnabar you could teach Chansey anything you wanted via TMs infinite

We were talking about level up moves

@scythe who said people's favorites can't be the top tier Pokemon? Either way, using favorites should not be an excuse for being lazy and not using strategy or using badly balanced teams.
#74NanaboboPosted 11/2/2013 9:26:55 AM
You're all forgetting there's more to Pokemon than battle. Why there is no Contest/Pokeathlon/Musical this generation I don't know, but...
---
ACNL Dream Address 4100-2150-3577
#75omega bahumatPosted 11/2/2013 9:31:47 AM
Scythemantis posted...
If everyone actually did use just their favorites I think we would see a more diverse, balanced and fun metagame environment, but instead everyone is fixated on the numbers race.

Because being the best usually necessitates winning.

Even in-game the final boss is the champion typically which only adds on to that pressure.
#76omega bahumatPosted 11/2/2013 9:34:00 AM
pushstart89 posted...
SerperiorThanU posted...
pushstart89 posted...
I 100% agree with this sentiment and that dude winning at the Vancouver championships with an Amoongus, shows that it can be done.

I've loved Clefable long before Fairy typing and happily made someone's day by trading in my legendary for a Clefairy on the GTS, (yes I know I was robbed), but I always battle with favourites knowing that many of them are seen as mediocre in competitive rankings.

Lol I don't want to call you naive or even ignorant but Amoongus is top tier for doubles, there is nothing remarkable about an Amoongus being among a team that won the championships.

Clefable was never terribad either.

haha so I'm guessing your against winning with favourites then? Simply 'wrong' would have done naive and ignorant seem a bit harsh to call someone over Pokemon

What you said was both Naive and Ignorant as well as wrong.

Deal with the consequences of your words.
#77SerperiorThanUPosted 11/2/2013 11:00:27 AM
Nanabobo posted...
You're all forgetting there's more to Pokemon than battle. Why there is no Contest/Pokeathlon/Musical this generation I don't know, but...

The entire mechanics of the game and the entire concept of pocket monsters revolve around battling. Sure there are other things to do but the battling is the main aspect of Pokemon.
#78CressetPosted 11/2/2013 11:59:48 PM(edited)
Nanabobo posted...

Guess these weren't popular enough. Shame, they gave a chance for pokemon who are no good for battling to shine.

SerperiorThanU posted...
Rhydons posted...
karen only plays in-game tho

Yeah and people are forgetting Karen LOST. She's just saying that to make herself feel better since she can't be older than 20 herself. I'm sure you know plenty of na´ve 20 year old women.

She still won often enough to become part of an elite four, though
---
Being able to change keyboard settings is the right of all sentient gamers. - spydey_fan
#79SerperiorThanUPosted 11/3/2013 6:55:21 AM
Cresset posted...
Nanabobo posted...

Guess these weren't popular enough. Shame, they gave a chance for pokemon who are no good for battling to shine.

SerperiorThanU posted...
Rhydons posted...
karen only plays in-game tho

Yeah and people are forgetting Karen LOST. She's just saying that to make herself feel better since she can't be older than 20 herself. I'm sure you know plenty of na´ve 20 year old women.

She still won often enough to become part of an elite four, though

The elite four is like high school sports. Nowhere near good. The trainers in the battle subways are better.
#80packman1010Posted 11/3/2013 5:26:50 PM
Says the guy who used 3 dragonite in gen 2. This is lance, right?
---
GT: YOKEDxPREDATOR
FC: 0774-5538-1096