This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people."

#81VIIVincentPosted 11/3/2013 5:40:39 PM
variety or not, you wont be winning much or winning at all in the competitive area. numbers are what matters when you are trying to win. why even battle if you dont care even the least amount when it comes to winning?

"I want to show off my favorites!"
*Gets SD + Shadow Sneak'd to death by Aegislash*

some Pokemon does this role better than your favorite and it WILL come in handy much easier if you were to use that Pokemon. your favorite will get blasted or is just too slow.

i love my favorites, yes. but that only works in game most of the time.

This quote contradicts Mega evos so hard.
---
The end is nigh! *continues playing game*
#82DeitylightPosted 11/3/2013 5:46:25 PM
SerperiorThanU posted...
omega bahumat posted...
SerperiorThanU posted...
ShadowComedus posted...
I have this one major issue with most of my raising of pokemon.

I don't remember which pokemon it was, but it did not matter what it's nature was, what it's characteristics were, or even what its IVs were, I could even max out the EVs in favour of the Physical Attack moves it learned, it's Special Attack would always outclass the rest of its stats.

Now I've told you it learned Physical Attacks moves, now get this: It learned NO Special Attack type moves. So this pokemon has a high SpeAtk. but no Special Attack moves. Now, thankfully this pokemon could learn TMs that were special attacks, but they were either hard to obtain, or in post-game.

Now I don't remember which Gen I was playing either, but still, I was going "wtf" the entire time.

So, on a social level, I would agree with the "Win with your faves", but definately in competition, I would take a team that would kick rear end.

And about choosing pokemon for esthetics, you serve us up something like Palpatoad and Seismetoad, and you think I'm going to use that in favour of something else that can do the same job without making me want to hurl all over my desk?

Have you ever heard of the song "Dreamer" ?

Gen I was filled with these as it had a garbage level up move selection and gen V Pokemon tried to emulate that too, but the one that pops into my mind the most is Chansey which had a very good Special (better than Charizard's -_-) but had an abysmal attack, the WORST in the game... And guess what kind of attacks Chansey can only learn through level up?

Didnt matter in Gen 1 as once you got to Cinnabar you could teach Chansey anything you wanted via TMs infinite

We were talking about level up moves

@scythe who said people's favorites can't be the top tier Pokemon? Either way, using favorites should not be an excuse for being lazy and not using strategy or using badly balanced teams.

It just so happens that a lot of top tier pokemon are my favorites!
In fact, I have a variety of favorite pokemon across the tiers from NU to ubers.
---
FC:3840-5960-0959
Friend safari:Riolu, Machoke, and Pancham
#83SerperiorThanUPosted 11/3/2013 8:06:18 PM
VIIVincent posted...
variety or not, you wont be winning much or winning at all in the competitive area. numbers are what matters when you are trying to win. why even battle if you dont care even the least amount when it comes to winning?

"I want to show off my favorites!"
*Gets SD + Shadow Sneak'd to death by Aegislash*

some Pokemon does this role better than your favorite and it WILL come in handy much easier if you were to use that Pokemon. your favorite will get blasted or is just too slow.

i love my favorites, yes. but that only works in game most of the time.

This quote contradicts Mega evos so hard.

It's not just numbers, strategy plays a huge deal, probably more than 80%.

That's why stuff like breloom is top OU for generations while Kyurem was in UU.
#84GoldenFantasyPosted 11/3/2013 8:31:36 PM
D_Bart posted...
Azure_Flame posted...
"Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

"Oh, but don't worry, we've installed an IV system where some Pokemon are born genetically inferior to other ones."

Maybe you should be using that argument for base stats instead of ivs.
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#85pokemonfreak97Posted 11/4/2013 7:46:30 AM
Yes, the infamous line spoken by Karen, who decided to use a five-Pokemon team ranging from Lv. 42 to Lv. 47, who OBVIOUSLY knows everything about competitive strategy, who lost to a team that likely didn't include the best Pokemon of the generation.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#86dotsgalore218Posted 11/4/2013 5:29:02 PM
Azure_Flame posted...

And on that note, I've got an academic paper to write about the guy who remixes Barack Obama's speeches into popular music.

I had the habit of writing song lyrics into my uni exams. I've not enjoyed an exam more than when i slipped 5 Michael Jackson lines into one essay.
---
Not changing THIS LINE of my sig until Sydney FC win the AFC Champions League (started 14-2-10)
http://tinyurl.com/llwvw7x
#87MegaDuranPosted 11/5/2013 6:54:56 AM
easy to say when your favorite pokemon is overused and super strong anyway
---
3DS: 3351-5468-4271 IGN: Benny