This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

After 6 generations of Pokemon games, WHY do HMs still exist?

#1Radiant_Sol12Posted 10/27/2013 9:57:57 PM
HMs are probably my most hated feature of every pokemon game simply because the moves are usually crappy towards mid-late game and take up a slot when they're used once or twice in the game. This forces me to make an HM slave which takes up a slot of pokemon I could use. How could over a decade of Pokemon games still have such a boring mechanic like HMs linger?
---
"If the Illusive Man was voice by Charlie instead of Martin he'd be snorting coke off Miranda's ass." -Revan73
GT: Radiant Sol
#2ItaSouljahPosted 10/27/2013 9:59:16 PM
You do know you can delete HM's with the move deleter for free right?
#3Radiant_Sol12(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 10:02:50 PM
ItaSouljah posted...

Yes, but that's an unneeded hassle compared to TMs where you can easily replace them and you never know when you might need an HM in the game later. This could've been made so much easier by giving players items instead of moves to progress.
---
"If the Illusive Man was voice by Charlie instead of Martin he'd be snorting coke off Miranda's ass." -Revan73
GT: Radiant Sol
#4OCShoesPosted 10/27/2013 10:04:56 PM
I hate HMs. It needs to be an unlockable mechanic, example: You get badge 7, lets you fly. Any flying pokemon can fly without needing to know the damn move (but HMs stay in as TMs.).
---
Hades is Lord. Repent, ye sinners, and weep.
Hey look, who cares? 1091 7966 0075 3DS FC
#5ItaSouljahPosted 10/27/2013 10:05:20 PM
Radiant_Sol12 posted...
ItaSouljah posted...

Yes, but that's an unneeded hassle compared to TMs where you can easily replace them and you never know when you might need an HM in the game later. This could've been made so much easier by giving players items instead of moves to progress.

Do what everyone else does set a few pokemon to HM slaves if you need to go exploring for items and such bring them with you if not take your normal team.

I personally just use HM slaves in my normal play with a few pokemon i like.

Have my competitive pokemon in the battlebox

can use the battlebox any time you link online or in battle maison
#6Xenesis XenonPosted 10/27/2013 10:05:56 PM
I wish HM slaves were unnecessary.

Surf is the only HM you're actually going to want to have on your team.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#7Archwing3441Posted 10/27/2013 10:06:25 PM
They can also fix the problem by making HMs into TMs
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#8CorbiskeithPosted 10/27/2013 10:09:10 PM
OCShoes posted...
I hate HMs. It needs to be an unlockable mechanic, example: You get badge 7, lets you fly. Any flying pokemon can fly without needing to know the damn move (but HMs stay in as TMs.).

I could be fine with HMs becoming TMs actually, and still functioning the way they do, just without the inability to delete them in the field. Of course, there'd have to be a check to make sure you're not going to drown if you delete Surf... But I hate Cut so much...
---
Friend Code: 1263-6252-3175
If I'm on an FC thread, I'm adding everyone that posts on it. :P
#9zantxPosted 10/27/2013 10:09:29 PM
I find it largely annoying that they have to take up a slot in your party when you already have 6 to use. They should make a 7th slot that is purely there for using HM moves and cannot be chosen/switched in during battle.
#10MegaMettaurPosted 10/27/2013 10:11:16 PM
they should either give us the HMs as key items that the MC can use, or allow the pokemon to learn the HMs without it taking up a move slot. Allow us to teach it for out of battle purposes ONLY while giving us the option to teach it as a battle move so we can still use surf.
---
(PC): Skullgirls: Squigly <3 Steam ID: MegaMettaurX
(3DS): FC: 0834-1402-9867 - Mega Man Star Force 2 Zerker x Ninja, Contact, Mega Man Zero Collection