This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Impressed by Ferrothorn

#1scandal881Posted 10/28/2013 1:35:11 PM
The pace of Pokemon games seemed very fast when I first tried the online, so I was skeptical that walls could do much to control the tempo of some of the big hits that are coming in. But I have been impressed with Ferrothorn.

I have been running him with Mega Gengar and Choice Band Garchomp, but he has been the centerpiece of the team, and I usually open with him and only switch out when faced with a serious fire or fighting-type threat.

His moveset is: Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Protect, Gyro Ball, and his held item is leftovers. His EVs are all in HP, SPDef and Def, so leech seed and leftovers recover most of the damage he'll take from a neutral attack, especially if I use protect occasionally to help him catch up.

Against an attacker with a super-effective attack that is not STAB, like Mewtwo with Aura Sphere or Gengar with Focus Blast, Ferrothorn can just use Protect every other turn to recover damage, and cut these fast attackers down with gyroballs.

This thing has absolutely been slaying legendaries in wifi random battles. It's possible that those legendaries weren't soft-reset for good natures and haven't been EV trained, but it's still pretty impressive.
#2Kabuto_YPosted 10/28/2013 1:37:25 PM
Ferrothorn is a pokemon that isn't getting a whole lot of attention as people try to focus on as much new stuff as they can, but he was a top tier pokemon all of last gen. Not surprising that he hasn't gotten worse.
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#3Companion_Cube_Posted 10/28/2013 1:38:34 PM
Kabuto_Y posted...
Ferrothorn is a pokemon that isn't getting a whole lot of attention as people try to focus on as much new stuff as they can, but he was a top tier pokemon all of last gen. Not surprising that he hasn't gotten worse.

He may have lost two resistances, but he gained one of what I think will be a common type, and he gained a new attack` weakness. I say he got better
---
Pokemon Y Friend Safari Pokemon: Dedenne, Electabuzz, Zebstricka
3DS FC: 3024 - 5019 - 8681 (PM me to add me)
#4DunnoBroPosted 10/28/2013 1:44:40 PM(edited)
Fire will be more relevant with rain dead and all these amazing steel types pushing people toward it, his thunder wave is less powerful now. There's also a few new relevant fire types like talonflame and megazards. But he also gained a new resistance, and also walls skrelp and other poison spammers well.

He's definitely changed but not much.
---
3DS FC: 3308 4781 6052 (Pokemon Y Ingame name is Isaac)