This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Xavier Method (passing natures and hidden ability)

#1pillarlegPosted 10/29/2013 5:19:54 AM
I've seen several posts involving hidden abilities and the everstone. I'm posting this not to ask for help but to provide it.

(This is an example of such a post:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67580993

)

In X and Y, when breeding pokemon, if the mother has a hidden ability, there is a good chance of it passing to the offspring. If the father has the hidden ability, there is less of a chance.

Now in X and Y, if you give the mother an everstone, yes it still passes nature BUT this seems to have some kind of negative effect on the process. The youth's chance at the hidden ability seems to be extremely lowered if not completely removed. Not enough testing done to confirm that it CANT learn the hidden ability if the mother had an everstone, but more than enough to prove that it's at least lowered.

Now let's get to the point. If you want to breed a pokemon to have the hidden ability of the mother, AND have a nature of your choosing, you must give the everstone to a father of the appropriate nature. The reason for this involves a history lesson.

Back in generation 3, in emerald you could pass down a pokemon's nature if the mother held an everstone 50% of the time, and this didn't work if one of the parents was from a different real life country.

Later it was changed to 100%. A little known fact about everstone breeding, is that when it was updated, the father can now also pass the nature down by holding an everstone , and if both parents have an ever stone it is a 50/50 chance of either of their natures being passed.

Even later, the restriction on country was removed, this is off topic, but thought I'd toss that out there.

Anyway, the method of passing down natures from the Mother AND Father, to avoid getting your hidden ability chances reduced doesn't seem to be mentioned on the internet yet, and a lot of people (like the posters in the above post) seem confused and frustrated about their efforts no longer working. I'm calling it The Xavier Method. I hope this helps people.
#2SethrothaurionPosted 10/29/2013 5:34:59 AM
I was breeding immunity Gligar's yesterday, and I didn't notice any obvious issues with passing down the hidden ability. It DID seem slightly less common than passing down a standard ability, but not enough to pose a problem.

This WAS with the everstone, btw. Also, because I am super uptight about all my Pokemon being in a standard pokeball, I also went through a similar process when I got a male, and it didn't seem too different.
---
XBL: DaiHaj
#3EscheriaPosted 10/29/2013 5:37:40 AM
pillarleg posted...
Now in X and Y, if you give the mother an everstone, yes it still passes nature BUT this seems to have some kind of negative effect on the process. The youth's chance at the hidden ability seems to be extremely lowered if not completely removed. Not enough testing done to confirm that it CANT learn the hidden ability if the mother had an everstone, but more than enough to prove that it's at least lowered.

Where is the said testing?

I'd ask for an actual experiment to confirm/deny this. Get a female Pokemon with a HA and a male without the HA and breed, say, 2-3 boxes of Pokemon with female parent holding the Eversone and then breed the same amount of Pokemon but this time the father holding the Everstone. Post the results and we could draw some conclusions from that.
---
3DS FC: 4124-5580-5834. In-game name: Esch | Safari: Quagsire, Bibarel, Poliwhirl
3DS games I own: Pokemon X, MH3U, KI:U, OoT3D, LM 2, SMB3DL
#4pillarleg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 5:51:04 AM
I filled 2 boxes of abras with no magic guard, using a mother and father abra with magic guard, and the mother holding the everstone. All of them were timid (the mother's nature), but not one of them had magic guard. After I removed the everstone from the mother, and passed it to the father I got 9 magic guard modest (the father's nature) abras. That guy in the earlier post had the same phenomenon, over 20 with no hidden abilities. I mean 15 or 20 like that guy said can just be bad luck, but 2 boxes... that % must have dropped.
#5pillarleg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 5:59:24 AM
Either that or the RNG hates me so much it's hiring assassins to deal with me later tonight.
#6Deathsword00Posted 10/29/2013 6:03:39 AM
pillarleg posted...
I filled 2 boxes of abras with no magic guard, using a mother and father abra with magic guard, and the mother holding the everstone. All of them were timid (the mother's nature), but not one of them had magic guard. After I removed the everstone from the mother, and passed it to the father I got 9 magic guard modest (the father's nature) abras. That guy in the earlier post had the same phenomenon, over 20 with no hidden abilities. I mean 15 or 20 like that guy said can just be bad luck, but 2 boxes... that % must have dropped.

I had the opposite problem where I was trying to get a Synchronize Abra while breeding a Timid Magic Guard mom with an everstone. I filled a box with Timid Magic Guard children with only a few Inner Focus in there, no Synchronize. Then I started breeding an Inner Focus mom with an everstone and it still took me a good 10 Abras before I got one with Synchronize.

I think you might have just had bad luck.
---
Yes.
#7khansistahPosted 10/29/2013 6:06:11 AM
Don't know the actual numbers, but I always had a good amount of Drought Vulpix through my breedings, Flash Fire ones were quite rare.
---
FC: 3797 6716 7469
Noibat, Fraxure and Sliggoo! :D
#8KementarriPosted 10/29/2013 6:07:41 AM
pillarleg posted...
Either that or the RNG hates me so much it's hiring assassins to deal with me later tonight.

I've bread several HA Pokemon, Talonflame, Eevee, Greninja, Dragonite and also other pokemon with abilities I wanted to keep like Scizor, and never have I had any issue with getting the ability that the mother had with her holding an everstone. Maybe you have terrible luck or your game is glitched? idk. If I had to wager a guess I'd say you're exaggerating the numbers because you're mad that you haven't got a magic guard timid abra yet.
---
3DS FC: 3265-6079-5288 IGN:Mythic
Ground Safari
#9raikou68Posted 10/29/2013 6:09:20 AM
I've been getting nothing but hidden ability offspring with everything i've bred so far, with the occasional regular ability. Sounds like you just have bad luck or something's up with your game.
---
3DS FC 0645 6748 2345
#10Flintlock_StaffPosted 10/29/2013 6:10:05 AM
I usually give my females an everstone just because that's how it works out, but I've never seen a decrease in obtaining the same ability as the mother whether HA or not.
---
Midnight Knights Co-Leader and Bow/Arm Master
Gotta Stay Upbeat Upbeat Upbeat! Or You'll Be Dead Meat Dead Meat Dead Meat! FC 0533-4504-8392