This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Spam sweet scent?

#1DeathRebel007Posted 10/29/2013 5:28:51 PM
So I gave up trying to hatch a shiny Phantump via masuda method a week in at about 600 eggs or so pre sixth gym. Now I just beat the seventh gym and I know that I can try for a shiny Trevenant when I get to route 20 since I know they come out in hordes there. I want a shiny Trevenant before I beat the game so I guess what I'm asking is if I'll be more successful in spamming sweet scent to get the hordes to pop out thus increasing my odds of getting a shiny? Thoughts on this approach would be highly appreciated =D
#2xtdg134Posted 10/29/2013 5:30:32 PM
If you're looking for hoards, sweet scent is the way to go. There's no guarantee you're gonna have any more luck with this method than with breeding, though.
---
Add me for Pokemon X/Y!! 4639-8988-5948. PM me if you add me, so I can add you back
#3jayman7Posted 10/29/2013 5:30:48 PM
Honestly, your odds won't be any better than the Masuda method - you could run into the wrong horde or even see a shiny Sudowoodo, and you get 6x (roughly) odds with Masuda in previous gens but only five Pokémon per horde at normal odds AFAIK - but I guess you could do that.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#4DeathRebel007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 7:57:32 PM
Cool! Thanks for all the info guys
#5EnlinoPosted 10/29/2013 8:00:31 PM
Honestly, your odds of getting a shiny are probably better with breeding, and your odds of getting a good shiny are way better with breeding. Still, whichever way keeps you sane.
#6LabyrinthMindPosted 10/29/2013 8:02:10 PM
jayman7 posted...
Honestly, your odds won't be any better than the Masuda method - you could run into the wrong horde or even see a shiny Sudowoodo, and you get 6x (roughly) odds with Masuda in previous gens but only five Pokémon per horde at normal odds AFAIK - but I guess you could do that.

But you can roll far more often with horde battles.
#7DeathRebel007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 8:10:14 PM
Definitely wanna go with hordes cuz I was slowly going insane with all the eggs, I don't need a perfect shiny either. It's just that the shiny Phantump line is too gorgeous to pass up and I just really wanna use it for in-game and versus my friends XD
#8EnlinoPosted 10/29/2013 8:11:47 PM
LabyrinthMind posted...
jayman7 posted...

But you can roll far more often with horde battles.

Are Trevanent's the only horde you'll find there? Your odds are better with the Masuda method (assuming it's the same as gen V).

Masuda method: 0.073% chance per egg
Trevenant Horde: 0.061% chance per horde, assuming you never encounter any sudowoods.

If you don't even get trevanent hordes every time I'm not convinced it's faster, though honestly both are so unlikely that it's really just a question of whether you get lucky before getting bored and quitting.
#9DeathRebel007(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 8:20:05 PM
When faced with a truth like that I don't even wanna try shiny hunting lol! Also it doesn't help this is the first shiny I'm hunting/want to experience. In all my years of playing every generation never encountered a single shiny, damn that RNG
#10Iced_ShadowsPosted 10/29/2013 8:23:28 PM
I tried using hordes to get shiny Trevenant, but hordes of Foongus are MUCH more commonly encountered than hordes of Trevenant unfortunately.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls