This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think GF stepped back on the story a bit?

#1TC9834Posted 10/29/2013 10:44:12 PM
I mean the story in Pokemon games were never Oscar material, but RPGs, especially RPGs from Japan always had a more focused story, except for Pokemon games, which we all gave a free pass cause, c'mon, it's Pokemon.

But in Black and White, I thought they stepped it up a bit. The gym leaders were more involved, the Team Plasma actually felt like a threat. It just felt like the story in Pokemon was gonna start moving towards the rest of JRPGs. I mean, it's still not Final Fantasy level (The old ones, FFXIII and all it's horrible spin offs can suck it), but it was a step closer to that direction.

Here, while I like this game better then Black and White, as in it improved in everything, even the shoehorned in aspects like Sky Battles, were still a step forward, but the story was the only thing that they stepped back in.

Still this, IMO, is the better game to Black and White. Just my one little gripe.
---
Victory does not just mean that I must succeed, but that others must fail
#2ClassyOldHatPosted 10/29/2013 10:47:17 PM
Yeah, I think this is one thing a majority of the fanbase can agree on. While story may not have been the series selling point, in Black and White, it at least felt like they were trying. Gym Leaders got involved in the plot, and Cheren, Bianca, and N were all interesting characters in their own right, even if they weren't the deepest characters to come out of an RPG. Here, none of the characters feel that involved or interesting.
#3TheGaijinPosted 10/29/2013 10:47:58 PM
They did as much as they can for a kid game
---
Final Fantasy XIV ARR: Masamune - Legacy Server
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 10/29/2013 10:48:57 PM
I thought the characters in this were much better than BW2 at least. And you didn't have annoying friend whose only motivation in life is to find his sister's Purloin.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#5Frost_LASERPosted 10/29/2013 10:51:24 PM(edited)
I think they should have went into the story with the tall man some more. The evil team was just lame.

I think a good break from the evil villainous team using a legendary Pokemon for power would be a nice change.
#6SopherooPosted 10/29/2013 10:50:41 PM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
I thought the characters in this were much better than BW2 at least. And you didn't have annoying friend whose only motivation in life is to find his sister's Purloin.

No, you had annoying friend whose motivation in life was to make a DANCE TEAM, MAN
#72Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 10/29/2013 10:51:30 PM
Sopheroo posted...
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...

No, you had annoying friend whose motivation in life was to make a DANCE TEAM, MAN

At least you didn't have to deal with him at every part of the game. And your other friends made it less bad on average.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#8TC9834(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 10:51:56 PM
TheGaijin posted...
They did as much as they can for a kid game

I can't agree with that. I mean, they could have gone as far as they did with Black and White, in terms of story.

The sad thing is, they had all the characters and back story to do just that. AZ, the Ancient Weapon, and even though Team Fail wasn't all that good, Lysandre could have been an interesting character.
---
Victory does not just mean that I must succeed, but that others must fail
#9TruePowerSeekerPosted 10/29/2013 10:52:47 PM
With the game I feel that stuff was left out as it seems all of Team Flare's plan depended on the legend which can't be complete when they are trying to avoid focusing on the other game's legendary.

I think that Z will probably have a more coherent story and a more clear ending.
---
3DS FC: 3110-3914-1859
PM yours and I will add immediately for Friend Safari. Mine has Sawsbuck and Quilladin.
#10reaverzPosted 10/29/2013 10:53:53 PM
Story definitely took a backseat this time around, and with all the content and improvements all around, I can understand why it did so. Really, I can't blame GameFreak for going with this win/win scenario. Not only did less focus on story allow them to focus more on mechanics and content, but it makes for easy third version expansion material.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]