This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the best Galvantula moveset?

#1freeze_rayPosted 10/29/2013 11:20:33 PM
Running a Galvantula lead for Sticky Web.

Timid / Compoundeyes / 4 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Spd
@ Focus Sash (to make sure he gets off the Sticky Web no matter what)
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball

Obviously, that's five moves. So which one should be cut? I'm thinking Volt Switch might be the best call to make right now; Thunder with Compoundeyes accuracy obviously outdamages it, and it's not like I can't just switch out. Bug Buzz is around for the STAB and Psychic/Dark super effectiveness, and Energy Ball gives it great coverage.
---
3DS: 4682-9364-5990
#2rojsePosted 10/29/2013 11:22:43 PM
What about U-Turn?
#3Pulsar24Posted 10/29/2013 11:24:48 PM
Whether you drop Volt Switch or Energy Ball should be tailored around your team. If you have a way to abuse momentum (like another mon with U-turn) or need to scout, go with Volt Switch, especially if you already have ways of dealing with bulky water/ground types (e.g. Gastrodon, Quagsire, Swampert). Otherwise, run Energy Ball. The best way to construct sets is to avoid making them in a vacuum. Decide on a supporting crew, then make decisions about which sets are best.
---
Oh no, not again.
#4Pulsar24Posted 10/29/2013 11:25:37 PM
rojse posted...
What about U-Turn?

I'm sorry to double post here, but I can't yet edit posts. U-Turn is physical, and Galvantula's physical attack stat is terrible, so it's pretty much out of the question.
---
Oh no, not again.
#5freeze_ray(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 11:31:09 PM
Pulsar24 posted...
Whether you drop Volt Switch or Energy Ball should be tailored around your team. If you have a way to abuse momentum (like another mon with U-turn) or need to scout, go with Volt Switch, especially if you already have ways of dealing with bulky water/ground types (e.g. Gastrodon, Quagsire, Swampert). Otherwise, run Energy Ball. The best way to construct sets is to avoid making them in a vacuum. Decide on a supporting crew, then make decisions about which sets are best.

Hmm. I already do have a Protean Greninja with U-Turn, though I never really considered a mobility/momentum-based team. I'm actually really intrigued now; is this a thing? I'd love to try it.

Still, I find that my team (Mawile, Salamence, Greninja, Galvantula, and Tyrantrum so far--haven't decided yet on a fifth) is pretty ineffective against both Water and Ground right now, so Energy Ball definitely has a place on my team. In fact, I feel Energy Ball is objectively more useful for my team than Bug Buzz, but I'm worried it might be a waste to let that STAB go. Maybe I should replace it in that direction?
---
3DS: 4682-9364-5990
#6Pulsar24Posted 10/29/2013 11:38:15 PM
freeze_ray posted...
Pulsar24 posted...

Hmm. I already do have a Protean Greninja with U-Turn, though I never really considered a mobility/momentum-based team. I'm actually really intrigued now; is this a thing? I'd love to try it.

Still, I find that my team (Mawile, Salamence, Greninja, Galvantula, and Tyrantrum so far--haven't decided yet on a fifth) is pretty ineffective against both Water and Ground right now, so Energy Ball definitely has a place on my team. In fact, I feel Energy Ball is objectively more useful for my team than Bug Buzz, but I'm worried it might be a waste to let that STAB go. Maybe I should replace it in that direction?

Momentum is a thing; in Gen 5, the Rotom-W + Scizor VoltTurn core was a dominant force, and this strategy is still viable (at least imo) in the Gen 6 metagame (Scizor is relatively unchanged from Gen 5, and is now even better because Bullet Punch hits Fairies). Also, I know that Greninja gets Grass Knot, so it might be worth considering running that on Greninja (especially because of Protean STAB). Galvantula can take care of most things that Grass Knot doesn't hit hard enough with Thunder (e.g. Vaporeon, against which Grass Knot is only 60 base power). For your last team member, you might consider a spinblocker to keep Sticky Web active. If you use a spinblocker, it might also be worth running Spikes on Greninja.
---
Oh no, not again.