This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any significance to Kalos having French references?

#1jaxson_batemanPosted 10/30/2013 3:57:53 AM
Hi folks,

I had thought about this for a while, but after completing the game again and getting a good look at the Honor of Kalos (or whatever the badge is called), there's little doubt in my mind that for whatever reason, Kalos has french references. The major one/s, of course, is the Honor of Kalos itself (which is also the type of symbol used in the Kalos dex) - the left dex/Honor, the coastal side, is blue. The central dex/honor is white, and the right/mountain side is red. This is the same color scheme as the French flag.

Beyond that, on the Honor of Kalos, the middle section is the Lumios City tower. Which looks very similar to the Eiffel Tower.

A step further, and there are a few other references which could be considered a stretch:

Furfrou, plus Furfrou perms
Sycamore speaking french at least once (je nais se quoi)
The number of cafes and restaurants in Lumios

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they've gone out of their way to make Kalos have French references.

Any thoughts?

Jax
---
3DS FC: 4184-2229-7134; PM if you want me to add you for Friend Safari goodness! Mine is psychic with Duosion, Sigilyph and Grumpig.
#2Hoozah123Posted 10/30/2013 3:58:27 AM
Because Kalos is base on France.
---
I got a magikarp, and I am not afraid to hit you with it.
3DS FC 2981-5749-0630 My Safari have Corsola and Dwebble
#3YoyokuKOPosted 10/30/2013 3:59:56 AM
Hoozah123 posted...
Because Kalos is base on France.
#4Duchess_Of_NutsPosted 10/30/2013 4:00:58 AM
It is just the right amount considering it is supposed to be Frenchitized.

Unova is very "American" too, as depicted by the subway, New York Clone, actual bridges, and an over-exaggerated Ground Zero. Though from the looks of it it most certainly seems like New York was the main focus of what they wanted to copy.
---
Would you like to hear. . . WHAT MY NUTS HAVE TO SAY?
#5snuffles504Posted 10/30/2013 4:02:57 AM
This is the first time Gamefreak has blatantly stated that the Pokemon region is based on a real-world location.

But even then, I was kind of surprised at how glaringly obvious it all was. None of the first four Gens ever directly reference Japanese culture or language, at least not in the way that Gen 6 references French. And I didn't feel that Gen 5 went out of its way to show that Unova is based on New York.
---
Official Rinzler of the Kingdom Hearts III Board
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#6YoyokuKOPosted 10/30/2013 4:04:30 AM
snuffles504 posted...
And I didn't feel that Gen 5 went out of its way to show that Unova is based on New York.

...you can't be serious...
#7jaxson_bateman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 4:13:56 AM
Oh, they've actually outright said it, rather than just making it pretty (seemingly) obvious? :-3
---
3DS FC: 4184-2229-7134; PM if you want me to add you for Friend Safari goodness! Mine is psychic with Duosion, Sigilyph and Grumpig.
#8UltimaKeyMasterPosted 10/30/2013 5:35:39 AM
Considering Kanto and Johto were based off real places (though the names Kanto and Johto are used for entirely different places from the region layout), as well as Hoenn and Sinnoh having similar real world areas, are you that surprised that Kalos is basically Poke-France after Unova being flat-out revealed as Poke-New York and New Jersey?
---
PSN-BrandonSkyblade, Xbox Live-Red Skyblade 64
Steam-brandonskysword