This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemutations idea for future games...

#1BMorgn66Posted 10/30/2013 9:32:02 AM
I had an idea today, and I'm not sure if I'm
The first to have this idea or not but I wanted to share my thoughts and see how everyone feels about said idea.

Shiny pokes are generally more desirable/collectible than their standard counterparts, this would take said desirability to the next level.

I call it pokemutations. The long and short of it I see is the player being able to breed/capture wild pokes with different visual mutations, which can also slightly alter the pokes base/max stats.

I think it would add another layer of collect ability and also because it will change the stats competitive players will also be looking for these special pokes.

Some things I have thought of...

Special wings, horns, hooves, hair/fur, eyes, tails etc that would make the mutated poke different from their standard counterpart.

Ex.
Horned Ponyta - horned mutation adds +10 to base attack

Winged Ponyta - Wing mutation adds +10 to base speed

Rough Coat mammoswine - +10 to defense

And so on...

The slight stat improvements would cause battlers to want to acquire said mutations and collectors would want them for their visual improvements.

Rarity could be the same as a traditional shiny poke, and maybe shiny pokes could have a higher chance of also possessing a mutation.

I also thought it would be cool if certain held items could increase the likelihood of breeding with a mutation. Quick claw = increased chance for a claw mutation... Could even add in some other items, Lucky Horn, Swift Shoes, Fur Coat... Whatever

Does anyone think this would be a cool idea? Have any other ideas to expand build upon my idea? Or of you want to completely smash my idea, I welcome the feedback.

Also expecting a few TL;dr

Thanks
---
3DS - BMorg 0877-0433-9031
#212ehstevePosted 10/30/2013 9:34:45 AM
I'm still waiting for cross-species breeding to lead to NEW evo-chains
---
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/ehsteve12/
My Legend of Zelda Collection - Last update Oct. 7/13
#3RollingconePosted 10/30/2013 9:35:10 AM
GameFreak should take this system and replace IVs with it. It makes the collective part of Pokemon more superficially rewarding, it increases diversity, and it's consistent with the overarching theme of evolution which has been part of Pokemon since its beginning...

I also want Doquadro!
---
"I ain't going nowhere, old man"
#4vermillion719Posted 10/30/2013 9:41:44 AM
My big problem with this is that you suggest it being as rare as shininess while providing more than an aesthetic change. There should definitely be some sort of way to manipulate it if it's going to affect stats. Otherwise, it will have a drastic negative effect on the community.

Look at it this way: why would I ever use a normal Ponyta when I could have a winged Ponyta with a boost to speed? But then even GETTING a winged Ponyta is an extremely rare event, a breeder's nightmare. This will encourage people to hack, which will in turn cause more anger and resentment in the community.

Like the idea of just a visual change, though. I can definitely support the idea of a super-rare quality in Pokemon that isn't just a palette swap.
---
Everyone's the hero of their own story.
FC: 0345-0681-3179
#5random_man9119Posted 10/30/2013 9:50:02 AM
I feel like the Meowstic line is kind of a nod to that, except in this case it's more like sexual dimorphism.

I do agree with an above poster though, this would be cool but making them super rare would be a nightmare
---
PSN: Des-Nos|3DS FC: 1375 7442 7348
NNID: MrOddities|ACNL: Odd from Utopia
#6BMorgn66(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 1:24:58 PM
Great points on the rarity factor perhaps some of the more eccentric mutations wouldn't have any additional effects so they would just be collectible, and the stat mutations maybe 1/100 ?
---
#7LegoTechnicPosted 10/30/2013 1:34:52 PM
Mutations have to go both ways, and no one wants that.

You have caught a wild Ponyta!
Your Ponyta has a mutation!
Your Ponyta has Advanced Lung Cancer!
It receives -10% speed, -20% HP!
Ponyta's moves will fail 1/10 of the time due to Difficulties Breathing!
The PokeCenter will not treat your Ponyta due to a pre-existing health condition!
You cannot deposit Ponyta in the PC!
Trading Ponyta away will make everyone think you're heartless, and your other pokemon will hate you!
Ponyta can be left in the Day Care Center!
All offspring of Ponyta are 50% more likely to develop Advanced Lung Cancer randomly by level 40!
---
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero
#8BMorgn66(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 1:41:05 PM
LegoTechnic posted...
Mutations have to go both ways, and no one wants that.

You have caught a wild Ponyta!
Your Ponyta has a mutation!
Your Ponyta has Advanced Lung Cancer!
It receives -10% speed, -20% HP!
Ponyta's moves will fail 1/10 of the time due to Difficulties Breathing!
The PokeCenter will not treat your Ponyta due to a pre-existing health condition!
You cannot deposit Ponyta in the PC!
Trading Ponyta away will make everyone think you're heartless, and your other pokemon will hate you!
Ponyta can be left in the Day Care Center!
All offspring of Ponyta are 50% more likely to develop Advanced Lung Cancer randomly by level 40!

Better sign that horse up for obamacare quick!!
---