This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you rather stealth rocks get nerfed or...

#11rojsePosted 10/31/2013 5:44:59 AM
Dogscratch posted...
Zaharadine posted...
rojse posted...
Reginleif20 posted...
SR nerf. I like how it controls things like Volcarona but it screwed too many Pokemon

Please explain what pokemon aren't used solely because of a weakness to Stealth Rock, rather than other glaring deficiencies in that pokemon's movepool, stats, or typing.

Scyther would be perfectly viable if it didn,t lose 50% health to stealth rock, at least with Gen 5 move tutor support. Scizor would still be better most of the time, but Scyther still has technician, plenty to abuse with it, and good stats.

I don't normally bother posting on any of these "Which is better, or lets debate some arbitrary rule, or nerf this, or hack that" but..

Scyther - LOLWUT?

100 less BST
Far inferior set of resistances
5 weaknesses instead of 1?

Couldn't have put it better myself.
#12TaiphlosionPosted 10/31/2013 5:47:06 AM(edited)
Scyther sucks compared to scizor, but THEY HAVE THE SAME BST, people.

Get it right.
---
I'm tired of everyone I know, of everyone I see, on the streets and on TV.
#13CaptainBangPosted 10/31/2013 5:54:09 AM
Taiphlosion posted...
Scyther sucks compared to scizor, but THEY HAVE THE SAME BST, people.

Get it right.

---
Recent research shows that procrastination is good for you.
I'll post the link later.
#14Crimson_SpiderPosted 10/31/2013 6:52:27 AM
IMO scyther looks cooler.

Anyway, my focus is a different bug: Yanmega. I hate the fact that bugs, who are frail in general, get hit harder with this, but Yanmega is arguably where it suffers the most. He has two of the most awesome abilities in the game, one of which looks at resistances and says "lolnope". Yanmega, with a scarf or specs set, would be an excellent revenge killer, and with Speed Boost it can also be an intimidating clean-up sweeper that can shut down counters with hypnosis and U-turn away should that fail.

But stealth rocks prevents this from working. When losing half his HP for every switch, you only get one shot with him.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#15Gardevoir_exPosted 10/31/2013 7:53:12 AM
Stealth Rock needs to expire after 5 turns, like all "field" effects, or only work once per cast, like trap cards. If it's going to be permanent, it needs to affect both sides to be fair.

As it is now, it's just an unfair skill, and absolutely pointless to boot, because it is essentially free damage (you cannot avoid sending in replacements, even if you never switch). Anything that gives any form of free damage, in any game, is unfair.

TBH, this is the one skill that ruined Gen IV for me, and I fail to see the purpose of it. Spikes from Gen II was a bad idea, but due to the limited number of Pokémon that can learn it, and the huge number of Pokémon immune to it, it was just a gimmick at best. Stealth Rock is just Spikes made worse, with nothing naturally immune to it, and only a handful of Pokémon that can get rid of it (and they have to take damage first before doing so).
---
"Teamwork is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at."
#16Reginleif20Posted 10/31/2013 3:15:28 PM
rojse posted...
Reginleif20 posted...
SR nerf. I like how it controls things like Volcarona but it screwed too many Pokemon

Please explain what pokemon aren't used solely because of a weakness to Stealth Rock, rather than other glaring deficiencies in that pokemon's movepool, stats, or typing.

For starters, Froslass, Kyurem, and Staraptor
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#17SuichimoPosted 10/31/2013 8:34:09 PM
Just make Stealth Rocks be a Rock version of Spikes. Just a percentage amount of damage that doesn't care whether it is SE or not. It'd be perfectly fine at that point. 50% damage, to quad weaks, for using one move on turn one for the entire game is way too strong.
---
Aries- The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in you colon. -Weird Al
Pokemon Black FC: 4727 7821 5865
#18raymondsmith15Posted 10/31/2013 8:42:43 PM
Hate Stealth Rock, can't I like... Throw my Pokeball away from the pointed rocks?
---
Ray
3DS FC: 0962-9935-5913
#19DemiseEndPosted 10/31/2013 9:01:12 PM
Reginleif20 posted...
rojse posted...
Reginleif20 posted...

For starters, Froslass, Kyurem, and Staraptor

Having used all three of these, Froslass gets its niche in gen 4 thanks to Stealth Rock In a sense that it was banned under its Lead dominance, and did not get much better without it thanks to its lacking special attack

Kyurem has deficiency from its unfortunate typing for the meta while Staraptor also has deficiency thanks to its suicide playstyle and so-so speed

The best example would be Moltres. There no other pokemon that would be viewed in a different light with Stealth Rock gone as much as this guy.

Its almost BL in gen 4 for a good reason
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#20deoxyscyclonePosted 10/31/2013 9:06:47 PM
It's a touchy subject... Like another poster said, it keeps certain Pokemon like Volcarona in check, and keeps them from destroying the metagame at times... On the other hand, a LOT of my favorite Pokemon who have previously done well are forced to lower Tiers for the sole fact that Stealth Rock messes them up BAD... =_=;;

For something so "stealthy," it's done a good job of being in half the competitive battles since ever.
---
3DS FC: 5112-3533-9935 ~ Name: Ross ~ Pokemon XY Name: Beta
I'm also a Let's Player on YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights