This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So if I use an Ability Capsule on my Greninja that has the "Torrent" ability...

#1illusivedudePosted 10/31/2013 11:25:53 AM
It'll change it to have the ability "Protean" permanently unless I used another Ability Capsule to change it back to "Torrent"?

Is that correct?
---
Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior.
Is it really that difficult for us to just put aside our differences and get along?
#2falugalobPosted 10/31/2013 11:26:52 AM
I believe i read that ability capsule will NOT change their ability to a hidden one. It only works on pokemon with 2 normal abilities.
---
PSN:Falugalob
FC: 0302 0140 5026
#3RotomGuy3Posted 10/31/2013 11:27:01 AM
No, because Protean is a hidden ability.
---
My 3DS FC
Rotom: 3308-5985-4794
#4Catcher_FreemanPosted 10/31/2013 11:28:29 AM
It doesn't work for hidden abilities.

You can only catch Protean Frogadier in the Friend Safari.
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
Blaze the Cat is cool. People who agree: 6
#5illusivedude(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:30:22 AM
I see. I didn't realize that it was a hidden ability. Where can I find out what mine's hidden ability is?
---
Is it really that difficult for us to just put aside our differences and get along?
#6Catcher_FreemanPosted 10/31/2013 11:31:22 AM
Protean.

All Froakie/Frogadier/Greninja have Protean as their hidden ability.
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
Blaze the Cat is cool. People who agree: 6
#7MidnightCrewPosted 10/31/2013 11:32:06 AM
illusivedude posted...
I see. I didn't realize that it was a hidden ability. Where can I find out what mine's hidden ability is?

Froakies hidden ability is ALWAYS Protean. You need to catch a Frogadier in the friend safari that has it or to breed from one obtained as such in order to get a Froakie with the hidden ability.
---
Official Scrafty Of The Black And White Clan. Official Lorelei of the BW 2 Boards. Official Beheeyem of the X/Y Boards.
#8RotomGuy3Posted 10/31/2013 11:32:23 AM
illusivedude posted...

It doesn't work like that :0

Hidden abilities are just like normal abilities, they are permanent and exclusive to Pokemon, but they can only be obtained through special means.
---
My 3DS FC
Rotom: 3308-5985-4794
#9illusivedude(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:39:56 AM
Wait. I'm confused... So, *all Foroakies* have protean, but not all do? I'm not following.

So my Foroakie that I chose at the beginning of the game, does it or does it not have Protean? :/

(I'm sorry if I'm coming off as dense- I'm trying to wrap my head around it, but I'm new to all of this.)
---
#10DexterTheThirdPosted 10/31/2013 11:44:53 AM(edited)
Pokemon can have up to two possible normal abilities, and one hidden ability.

The two normal abilities have a 50/50 chance of being one or the other when caught in the wild. You can switch between these with an ability capsule.

Hidden abilities are only available on Pokemon caught in the Friend Safari or on a pokemon in a Horde encounter (and it's a slim chance that they have it in either case).

Froakie only have Torrent as its normal ability, it has no second normal ability. Protean is its hidden ability.

The only way to get a Protean Froakie is through the Friend Safari (or breeding a Protean Froakie). Your starter cannot have it.
---
Formerly known as Hero Fly Chao. 3DS FC - 0087 2307 1826
"Dex I love you but sometimes you make me wanna vomit" - vidgameking84