This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So after a couple hundred eggs, I finally got shiny Gastly. Need help with EV's!

#1Iced_ShadowsPosted 11/3/2013 5:35:06 PM
The Gastly is Timid and, by sheer luck, it has perfect 31 IV's in Special Attack and Speed (I wasn't even trying to get good IV's!) So now that I got this seemingly perfect Gastly, I realized I'm not really sure what I should be doing with the EV spread. I am definitely going to make it a Mega Gengar, and the most tempting moveset for me is Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt, although I really wish I had been able to get Icy Wind on there instead of Thunderbolt but oh well.

Anyway, my question is this: is it really the best option to simply go for full Special Attack and Speed? Should I put some bulk in there too, at the cost of speed? Is my moveset less useful than it could be?
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#2Tank_NSPosted 11/3/2013 5:38:07 PM
Any Gengar should run 252 SpA, 252 Spe. For moveset, since you don't have Disable or other egg moves I'd go for Sub/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Sludge Bomb(or Dazzling Gleam).
---
3DS Friend Code: 1650-1946-7733
Eevee Friend Safari
#3Cookies6498Posted 11/3/2013 5:38:14 PM
Iced_Shadows posted...
Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt

Why not Dazzling Gleam? Focus Blast never seems to hit when it's needed.

Should I put some bulk in there too, at the cost of speed?

Gengar has paper-thin defenses. It's a glass cannon, hit everything before it can act.
---
3DS FC: 2449- 5128- 2257/ Animal Crossing: Brandon/(Mei) @ New York
PKMN X: Brandon (Maractus,Oddish,Ivysaur in Safari)
#4Iced_Shadows(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 5:41:45 PM
Cookies6498 posted...
Iced_Shadows posted...

Gengar has paper-thin defenses. It's a glass cannon, hit everything before it can act.

Does Dazzling Gleam get as good of coverage though? If it gets less coverage as well as less power, I might stick with Focus Miss.

And I only wondered if I should put some bulk in because Mega Gengar has passable defenses.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#5LoveSquirtlePosted 11/3/2013 5:48:28 PM
Congrats! I just started breeding for a shiny Gengar after I got done with my Froakie.

Anyways, your Gengar should always run 252 EV's in Special Attack and 252 EV's in Speed, the other remaining four can go anywhere you like, but I personally like put the remaining four in HP. As for moves, my Gastly are being hatched with the egg move Disable, and I'm going for the Sub/Disable/Sludge Bomb/ Shadow Ball set; if it wasn't for Disable however, I'd go with Sub/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball.
#6Tank_NSPosted 11/3/2013 5:49:09 PM
Iced_Shadows posted...
Cookies6498 posted...
Iced_Shadows posted...

Does Dazzling Gleam get as good of coverage though? If it gets less coverage as well as less power, I might stick with Focus Miss.

And I only wondered if I should put some bulk in because Mega Gengar has passable defenses.

With the steel nerf, I'm thinking Focus Blast is much less useful on him compared to Dazzling gleam, which still hits Dark types SE as well as Fighting and Dragon.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1650-1946-7733
Eevee Friend Safari
#7Iced_Shadows(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 5:51:32 PM
LoveSquirtle posted...
Congrats! I just started breeding for a shiny Gengar after I got done with my Froakie.

Anyways, your Gengar should always run 252 EV's in Special Attack and 252 EV's in Speed, the other remaining four can go anywhere you like, but I personally like put the remaining four in HP. As for moves, my Gastly are being hatched with the egg move Disable, and I'm going for the Sub/Disable/Sludge Bomb/ Shadow Ball set; if it wasn't for Disable however, I'd go with Sub/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball.

The reason I'm not going with a sub + disable setup is because I have a Gengar on my Black 2 with that, though there's a chance it won't be accepted on the PokeBank because I got it from a trade, so it might have been hacked.

Anyway, is Dazzling Gleam worth using over Focus Blast for sure? I can't think of anything that would resist Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave/Dazzling Gleam/Thunderbolt, but that doesn't mean such a Pokemon doesn't exist.
---
Shadow Temple...
#8Iced_Shadows(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 5:52:20 PM
Tank_NS posted...
Iced_Shadows posted...
Cookies6498 posted...
Iced_Shadows posted...

With the steel nerf, I'm thinking Focus Blast is much less useful on him compared to Dazzling gleam, which still hits Dark types SE as well as Fighting and Dragon.

Oh shoot, that's right! I totally forgot Shadow Ball hits Steels now. Thanks for that! ^_^
---
Shadow Temple...