This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could Gamefreak have picked a better time to do PGL maintenence?

#1the_NGWPosted 11/4/2013 5:10:42 PM
Yeah yeah timezones and all that, but it's 4pm on a Monday afternoon and it's really annoying having to do free battle where there's no restrictions and everyone disconnects when things turn sour.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0344-9443-2457, Newtown Dream Address (AC:NL): 5400-2162-1014
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
#2AleinAtrydaPosted 11/4/2013 5:13:56 PM
I don't get why do they have to do maintenance weekly, and for such a long time. What are they doing? Catching rotoms hidden inside their servers?
---
PSN: TheAreinu (BFBC2, BlazBlue, LBP)
White 2 FC: 0047 2018 4094
#3Xenesis XenonPosted 11/4/2013 5:15:12 PM
Yeah, they picked a great time to do it.

It's off-peak in Japan.

I'm not complaining, because for once the maintenance for a game is not in my local prime time.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#4the_NGW(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 5:15:36 PM
AleinAtryda posted...
I don't get why do they have to do maintenance weekly, and for such a long time. What are they doing? Catching rotoms hidden inside their servers?

It's a big service to maintain I suppose, but yeah having it down every week is kinda...eh. And like you said, it is down for hours, which seems a bit excessive. I just finished the 5th member of my team and I wanted to try him out online, but free battle sucks.
---
#5WolfJouninPosted 11/4/2013 5:16:41 PM
So that's what it was? I was freaking out, because I dropped my 3DS for the first time yesterday, though not badly at all.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4639 - 9096 - 3760
#6the_NGW(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2013 5:30:05 PM
WolfJounin posted...
So that's what it was? I was freaking out, because I dropped my 3DS for the first time yesterday, though not badly at all.

Yeah, just weekly maintenance. Really annoying.
---
#7AleinAtrydaPosted 11/4/2013 6:07:14 PM
the_NGW posted...
AleinAtryda posted...

It's a big service to maintain I suppose, but yeah having it down every week is kinda...eh. And like you said, it is down for hours, which seems a bit excessive. I just finished the 5th member of my team and I wanted to try him out online, but free battle sucks.

I'm willing to bet gamefaqs, youtube, steam, most bank sites, twitter or facebook are much bigger services than PGL and those don't shut down every week. I can understand regular maintenance in MMO games, as they often add new content during that time.

Not too mention it works sooo slow even when it works... What are they using for their servers? DSes? If their PGL is hard to maintain and really needs so much maintenance then they did something wrong, or are using some really outdated methods to maintain their service.

I surely hope we won't have blackouts, I mean, maintenance periods every week for pokemon bank...

And PGL isn't really that big service... Might just be a bit overloaded now, as everyone is playing pokemon ;) I'm sure they bought enough servers to provide good user experience after initial boom is over. Though they could have bought amazon instance or dozen for this month :P
---
PSN: TheAreinu (BFBC2, BlazBlue, LBP)
White 2 FC: 0047 2018 4094
#8XImperialDragonPosted 11/5/2013 10:24:46 AM
Youtube, Steam, etc., would undoubtedly have more servers available to roll traffic onto while performing basic maintenance routines, but renting Amazon servers for the first couple of months would probably have smoothed that right out.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#9Serebii from SPPPosted 11/5/2013 10:26:55 AM
They do this maintenance weekly and have done for the last 2 and a half years...
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!