This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Story in Pokemon games

#1Infernus93Posted 11/5/2013 6:34:35 PM
How much story do you like in your Pokemon games? - Results (193 votes)
All the story
25.91% (50 votes)
Quite a bit
31.61% (61 votes)
In the middle
19.17% (37 votes)
Not that much
17.62% (34 votes)
Blank pages
5.7% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've seen a fair bit of criticism lately towards certain games in the series for lacking in the story department, so I figured why not ask how much story people want to see in their Pokemon games?

This has no application to other games. I like a lot of games with story, and will usually consider it detrimental if it's not up to snuff. But in Pokemon, I do a complete reversal.

~

My opinion:

As much as I like B/W, I honestly found their constant insistence that I paid attention to the story to be a big negative. When I play Pokemon, I just like to go on an little adventure with my 'mons, without having a character pester me every step of the way. I mean, I appreciate the lore that I experience from town to town, but I don't feel the need for an evil team or some other fabricated crisis to motivate me to continue. I prefer to move forward because that's what feels natural.

I really like that the story isn't particularly shoved down my throat in X/Y, and I also think they have the best random NPC dialogue (with R/B and B2/W2 being the runners up).

I find the games with the least emphasis on the story have the most replayability, too. I still play through R/B from time to time. G/S too. I like going through B2/W2, but not as often because the forced tutorials are pretty annoying. I restarted X when I was halfway through, and I really enjoyed playing through that first half again.

This is more of a quantitative than qualitative question. I may not like it for always looming around, but I think I'd still say B/W had the most coherent (and the most engaging, at least on the first time through) story in the series.
---
Bow down to a true Pokemon-Amiiie!
#2Infernus93(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 7:39:22 PM
I think I tl;dr'D this topic to its death, haha.
---
Bow down to a true Pokemon-Amiiie!
#3Crystal_ponyPosted 11/5/2013 7:40:48 PM
i want story, but i also want room to go around
---
3ds 5429 7532 9059 I am not taking an pm requests for safari am at 90 friends and will only add if you have something i want
#4P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/5/2013 7:41:06 PM
I don't usually expect story from a Pokemon game, but I feel like a good story would make for a great game.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
3DS FC: 3222-6121-8437
#5SuperRup91Posted 11/5/2013 7:41:44 PM
If they are going to have a story, it should be a good story. Which they consistently fail to do...So i'm not sure what to answer
---
3DS Friend Code: 5413-0006-7792
PM me so I can add you as well!
#6ExcIusivity69Posted 11/6/2013 1:47:27 PM
Agree with TC. The fun begins after beating the Elite Four, so the shorter (and less detail) the story is, the better.
---
When did "casual player" become an insult? -Taizuku
The real question is "When did hardcore gamer become a compliment/aspiration?" -JMBoote
#7WolfJouninPosted 11/6/2013 1:49:19 PM
This is why BW1 was my favorite. Every Pokemon game has been about improving the existing mechanics and bringing new Pokemon/moves/abilities/items/mechanics to the table... which is amazing in its own right, but BW1 did something different that made it stand out better for me, being a good story and an amazing finale.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4639 - 9096 - 3760
#8GolurkcanflyPosted 11/6/2013 1:50:03 PM
ExcIusivity69 posted...
Agree with TC. The fun begins after beating the Elite Four, so the shorter (and less detail) the story is, the better.

You are the minority.
---
Official Amnesiac Darkrai of the Pokemon X Board
You know why spiders know how to spin webs when they hatch? Because F*** You! That's why.
#9ExcIusivity69Posted 11/6/2013 1:51:51 PM
Golurkcanfly posted...
ExcIusivity69 posted...

You are the minority.

And this matters because?
---
When did "casual player" become an insult? -Taizuku
The real question is "When did hardcore gamer become a compliment/aspiration?" -JMBoote
#10smashman92Posted 11/6/2013 1:51:53 PM
The story from B/W made the first play-through memorable and fun. I'd love a good story in Pokemon games like B/W.
---
Charizard for SSBU
Friend Safari: Grass Type: Sunkern,Petilil,and Quilladin