This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IV breeding - Am I doing this right?

#1PichusfanPosted 11/6/2013 1:17:08 AM
So I have 2 4IV Mawiles in the daycare. One has the spread 31/x/31/x/31/31 and the other x/31/31/x/31/31. One is holding an Everstone and the other a Destiny Knot. But for some reason, I keep getting offspring with 4IVs or lower with various combinations of IVs. Isn't this the right way to get 5IV pokemon? Am I doing something wrong or do I just have horrendous luck? By the way, I bred at least 20 Mawiles, none of which have 5IVs. :(
---
"HIYAAAAAAAAH!" -Link, The Legend of Zelda
3DS FC: 4313-0170-7013
#2Pichusfan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:20:45 AM
Bump.
---
#3Natwaf_akidnaPosted 11/6/2013 1:21:45 AM
It happens. The RNG is being unkind, but that is the correct way to get the right Nature while also passing down 5 IVs. Problem is, of course, the 5 random IVs passed down, and the random parent it gets inherited from.
---
Natwaf congratulates raytan, Winner of the CB IX Guru contest!
And not an anthropomorphic personification
#4matodaPosted 11/6/2013 1:22:01 AM
just bad luck really. though considering neither of those mons has 31IV in SpA you're just cycling through until an egg gets 31IV in HP & Atk so it probably seems to be taking longer. like, if one of them had 31IV in SpA maybe some of the eggs you've gone through would've inherited it, so you would've gotten a 5IV by now. but since neither parent has it, you're not going to see a 5IV until you get 31s in HP+Atk+Def+SpD+Spd
---
You look well, child.
#5JarickoPosted 11/6/2013 1:22:58 AM
Its random. The setup you have has the possibility of popping out a 5 Perfect IV and even a 6. Its just random and unlikely. As you go just keep improving both the male and female subjects and the odds should go up.
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#6Pichusfan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:24:55 AM
Jaricko posted...
Its random. The setup you have has the possibility of popping out a 5 Perfect IV and even a 6. Its just random and unlikely. As you go just keep improving both the male and female subjects and the odds should go up.

How do I improve the parents? And thanks everyone else for the help :)
---
#7EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 11/6/2013 1:25:47 AM
Just bad like. I think the chance of a 5Iv is 1/24 with that setup.
#8Pichusfan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:27:32 AM
matoda posted...
just bad luck really. though considering neither of those mons has 31IV in SpA you're just cycling through until an egg gets 31IV in HP & Atk so it probably seems to be taking longer. like, if one of them had 31IV in SpA maybe some of the eggs you've gone through would've inherited it, so you would've gotten a 5IV by now. but since neither parent has it, you're not going to see a 5IV until you get 31s in HP+Atk+Def+SpD+Spd

My purpose of keeping the SpA at x is so I won't ever get a Mawile with 31 in SpA which I don't need.
---
#9JarickoPosted 11/6/2013 1:27:40 AM
Pichusfan posted...
Jaricko posted...

Well if a pokemon popped out with 5 Perfect IV's you would then put that 5 perfect parent in, and always with IV breeding, the more perfect stats you have, the higher the odds that you will get that IV. Especially if you have 2 pokemon with all the IV's you want. If you had 2 pokemon with 5 perfect IV's right now you would likely be seeing a lot of 4's and 5's popping up.

But i assume you either did some measure of that already getting to 4's or you started with 4's already?
---
" Don't curse the darkness--light a candle! When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade. "
#10Pichusfan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2013 1:29:48 AM
Jaricko posted...
Pichusfan posted...
Jaricko posted...

Well if a pokemon popped out with 5 Perfect IV's you would then put that 5 perfect parent in, and always with IV breeding, the more perfect stats you have, the higher the odds that you will get that IV. Especially if you have 2 pokemon with all the IV's you want. If you had 2 pokemon with 5 perfect IV's right now you would likely be seeing a lot of 4's and 5's popping up.

But i assume you either did some measure of that already getting to 4's or you started with 4's already?

I have two with 4 IVs each with all the desired stats between them.
---