This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How to breed Egg moves correctly?

#1CrayonmuffinPosted 11/7/2013 7:14:59 AM
So I acquired a 4IV Marill with literally 4 egg moves. IIRC Aqua Jet, Belly drum, superpower, and body slam. I'd like to breed it up to a 5IV but by the time eggs are made wouldn't it have leveled up in the day care and learned something else, hence not passing down the moves? Or should I just give up on a couple of them and choose ones that I want most?

I haven't dabbled too much in passing egg moves so I'm not too sure, and I don't have a good idea what a good moveset for a future Azumarill is. Halp is appreciated.
---
The hardest argument to refute is silence.
FC: 4957-3441-8564 Please PM me if you add!
#2bonannPosted 11/7/2013 7:17:06 AM
Don't worry about Super Power. It learns it later anyway. Just level up one of the Marills *if you have two.
---
3DS: 4313-0687-5263
Official Mega Gengar of- eh who cares?
#3Crayonmuffin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 7:18:15 AM
I guess it does. Didn't see that. Belly Drum and Aqua Jet would be nice to keep on it though. Not too sure about body slam.

I was thinking it should have Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Superpower, and Play Rough.
---
#4crzydvdPosted 11/7/2013 7:18:36 AM
you could level it up manually to a point where it is incapable of learning any new moves, to be able to safely breed it without risk of losing your egg moves. though I only recommend this if you plan to do a lot of breeding (perfect stats) and only need this particular pokemon for its moves.

do keep in mind that you'll essentially have to keep leveling a baby with the moves that you plan to use as a new parent if you are breeding from scratch
#5Crayonmuffin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 7:21:31 AM
crzydvd posted...
you could level it up manually to a point where it is incapable of learning any new moves, to be able to safely breed it without risk of losing your egg moves. though I only recommend this if you plan to do a lot of breeding (perfect stats) and only need this particular pokemon for its moves.

do keep in mind that you'll essentially have to keep leveling a baby with the moves that you plan to use as a new parent if you are breeding from scratch

That's what a friend told me as well. Hmm. I might just end up using it as is. Won't be perfect but it'll be decent regardless. I'm not too into super competitive battling, just like to when I can. Might end up doing this though and breed it down.
---
#6EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 11/7/2013 7:22:01 AM
If a Pokemon is put in the Daycare w/ Egg moves, even if it forgets them while you're breeding, it'll still pass them onto babies as long as you don't take anything out of the Daycare.

All you have to do is put a Pokemon w/Egg moves with another of its Egg group and they'll make babies that will have all learnable moves for as long as its in the Daycare.

Also, if a Pokemon has previously had an Egg move and forgets it and you take it out of the Daycare, you can give them back the moves with Heartscales at the Move Reminder.
#7bonannPosted 11/7/2013 7:23:42 AM
Also, if you're too lazy to manually train... take out the Marill everytime it learns an attack. The first move slot is the first to go and it moves up. When one of the egg moves is at the very top, move it to the bottom.
---
3DS: 4313-0687-5263
Official Mega Gengar of- eh who cares?
#8lildragon0Posted 11/7/2013 7:24:16 AM
When breeding eggmoves, all that matter are the original moves before going to the day care. Any new moves learned while in the day care are not passed to the eggs. I have bread charmanders with outrage, dragon dance, and dragon pulse and egg moves never changed even though by the time I was done, the parents grew by 30+ levels.
---
FC: 4296-2981-8490
#9Crayonmuffin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2013 7:24:48 AM
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...
If a Pokemon is put in the Daycare w/ Egg moves, even if it forgets them while you're breeding, it'll still pass them onto babies as long as you don't take anything out of the Daycare.

All you have to do is put a Pokemon w/Egg moves with another of its Egg group and they'll make babies that will have all learnable moves for as long as its in the Daycare.

Also, if a Pokemon has previously had an Egg move and forgets it and you take it out of the Daycare, you can give them back the moves with Heartscales at the Move Reminder.

Whoa whoa, so since my Marill has egg moves, it'll still pass them down regardless of it leveling up while in day care? If so I need to get breeding then.
---
#10EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 11/7/2013 7:24:57 AM
Also, a really devastating set-up for Azumarril is-

Adamant Nature
Huge Power
(w/ Leftovers, Sitrus Berry or Mystic Water)
252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 4 SP DEF
Max IVs in ATK, SPE, DEF, HP, SP.DEF
-Aqua Jet
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Super Power/ Waterfall