This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't like Sludge Bomb/Wave on Gengar. I don't think it's worth the moveslot.

#1Enix BelmontPosted 11/8/2013 9:17:56 PM
Don't run it for fairies, anyway, IMO. What fairies are you trying to hit?

Gardevoir still weak to shadow ball.
Klefki is immune.
Azumarill and Togekiss get hit by thunderbolt.

I feel like those are the most powerful and common fairy types. Am I missing any? I don't believe so. Fairy doesn't resist ghost and STAB shadow ball is usually enough, mostly if you're mega. I definitely don't recommend it over thunderbolt, anyway, despite the lack of stab it hits a lot more. Flying and water are two of the most common types.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#2Gameandwatch2Posted 11/8/2013 9:19:34 PM
A non-STAB Thunderbolt is not going to KO Azumarill nor Togekiss.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654-8394-0937
3DS FC: 4511-1815-7291 (Flying Safari: Swanna, Spearow, Doduo)
#3FidchelPosted 11/8/2013 9:20:18 PM
It let's me hit any pure fairies and also it gives me an option against grass types with gen gar so I don't need to switch pokes
---
3ds fc 1950-8741-6146
Pokemon x IGN Ryan
#4dillo9000Posted 11/8/2013 9:21:05 PM
Enix Belmont posted...
Don't run it for fairies, anyway, IMO. What fairies are you trying to hit?

Gardevoir still weak to shadow ball.
Klefki is immune.
Azumarill and Togekiss get hit by thunderbolt.

I feel like those are the most powerful and common fairy types. Am I missing any? I don't believe so. Fairy doesn't resist ghost and STAB shadow ball is usually enough, mostly if you're mega. I definitely don't recommend it over thunderbolt, anyway, despite the lack of stab it hits a lot more. Flying and water are two of the most common types.

Keep in mind Sludge Wave is Gengar's strongest move when all moves are neutral.

Most Gengar don't run TBolt anymore and instead opt for:
-Sludge Wave(PB)/Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam/Substitute/Destiny Bond
---
Can't wait for: Persona 5, P4A2, SSB4, Dubs of P3 Movies
To a lesser extent: DKC: Tropical Freeze
#5LexifoxPosted 11/8/2013 9:23:25 PM
Sludge Wave is its best option for Chesnaught.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#6Missingno_MastrPosted 11/8/2013 9:24:59 PM
Slurpuff is not something you want to underestimate. Just saying.
---
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://gottaglitchemall.smackjeeves.com/
#7HalecticPosted 11/8/2013 9:26:49 PM
Gengar does not learn sludge wave
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#8LexifoxPosted 11/8/2013 9:27:12 PM
Halectic posted...

Gastly got it from the Dream World in Gen 5.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#9dillo9000Posted 11/8/2013 9:27:19 PM
Halectic posted...

It will be able to from PokeBank (PB).
---
Can't wait for: Persona 5, P4A2, SSB4, Dubs of P3 Movies
To a lesser extent: DKC: Tropical Freeze
#10Enix Belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2013 9:45:58 PM
Is a OHKO on azumarill valuable? I don't think it is. Without Belly drum, even with choice band, azumarill can't 2HKO mega gengar with non-boosted aqua jet. If non mega, it can't 2HKO often if gengar has leftovers/black sludge. Life orb sure, but until/unless gengarite is banned, i don't see a point in life orb gengar much. If it Belly drums, it's unable after a thunderbolt even with sitrus berry, or itll die. If you switch in after it bellydrummed, youre dead anyway.

I don't really totally fear grass types anyway. When you're ignoring the ones you can't hit super effective with poison anyway, whats left thats common? Venusaur and Ferrothorn take normal and no damage. Celebi is also weak to ghost, so it's not useful there. Breloom isn't a huge threat at all, with most of it's stabs not doing much and substitute blocking spore, and with Mega Gengar/Life orb, Shadowball has an 87.5% chance to OHKO anyway if they didnt invest in bulk. Resists both STAB, too.

I don't consider chesnaught a big threat. I doubt he's going to be OU and even if he is, I'd rather run dazzling gleam or something.

Ghost's solo coverage is so good this gen I don't think Sludge bomb is that necessary for STAB. Sludge Wave is better for the more power, and possibly viable, but I'd prefer thunderbolt even still myself.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.