This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Theorymon: Interpreting what defines a Fairy-type

#1DryGuy84Posted 11/9/2013 4:05:21 PM
Now, my theory of what it means to be a Fairy-type is to be a Pokemon associated with "light." This can mean literal light or good in the circumstances given. Generally, as seen in the show and the game itself no Dark-type Pokemon is inherently evil (excluding Darkrai) so as such Fairy-type's aren't inherently good either. Granbull can be seen as a prime example dipping into both the Dark and Fairy movepools and as such supporting my previous theory. To be more thorough though I wanted to take a look at a peculiar scenario in Pokemon-typing below.

Togekiss is 1 of 2 pokemon labeled the Happiness Pokemon along with the Normal-type Blissey, but why didn't Blissey's typing change? I dwelled on this for a while thinking it went against my proposed theory, but then I read the X/Y entry for it stating: "Its eggs are enough to bring a smile to anyone's face." This in my mind translated to: the happiness it's associated with comes indirectly whereas Togekiss's does not. This would explain why Togepi's line was retconned to Fairy and Happiny's wasn't, because none of the Happiny lines are associated with light and now the happiness they spread can be seen as indirect and not inherent.

Okay, that was a lot to type, but I feel it was necessary.

Do you all agree with the theory, if not can you poke holes in it? Let me know below, and remember this is strictly my interpretation. You are welcome to agree, disagree, debate, and criticize, but please do so politely.
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon X, GTA 5, and Sonic Lost World
"My school was just a box in the ground." -MrCobaltSky, 2013
#2GirlsHateMyFacePosted 11/9/2013 4:05:52 PM
No. This is a pointless thread.
---
"Agreed. It will either be on Wii U or Vita." - talesfan215 on Persona 5.
#3DryGuy84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 4:10:17 PM
Ok GHMF, but not all threads have points (though mine actually does), and that's fine. Why'd you post if you thought it was pointless?
---
#4DryGuy84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 4:14:19 PM
One and only bump.
---
#5blarf3Posted 11/9/2013 4:17:20 PM
GHMF posted...

---
Tabitha: Stupid weak people...
Black Friend Code: 4427 0936 3149 Got it memorized?
#6Dragonball9899Posted 11/9/2013 4:17:31 PM
blarf3 posted...
GHMF posted...

---
3DS Friend Code: 4699-5772-7156 Safari Type Poiosn: Venomoth, Whirlipede, Gloom
PM me if you add me, as I now have a constant WiFi connection.
#7PokemonYoutubePosted 11/9/2013 4:18:48 PM
Mr. Mime is a fairy while Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are not. Explain that.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#8jolteonsockPosted 11/9/2013 4:20:30 PM
Wow people are jackasses. I think it's pretty well thought out. I think it's just that, a theory but interesting nonetheless.
---
Pokemon X FC 3582 9256 4581
#9yzmanPosted 11/9/2013 4:21:13 PM
Fairy is associated with magic, not "light" ( and good god let this light type stuff die already).

Fighting is an honorable type, and that is why it is good against dark. Fairy is good against dark and fighting. Fairies are not "the good" type looking at that. It makes no sense for a good type to be good against an honorable one.

Fairies are supposed to be based off of mythological magical creatures, often shown in fairy tales. Their magic is good against dragons, like a lot of fairy tales.

Fairies are often shown as being tricksters in fairy tales, not necessarily good/light.

The hole in you argument is that you don't have one. You provided very little basis for your theory, just what you believe.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#10DryGuy84(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2013 4:23:41 PM
PokemonYoutube posted...
Mr. Mime is a fairy while Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf are not. Explain that.

Very good point.
---