This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Six Eggs Only Nuzlocke

#1rojsePosted 11/10/2013 3:00:42 AM
I'm starting a Nuzlocke of sorts on Pokemon X. I have started a new game, and will be playing through using only the six pokemon I've hatched from eggs (excluding HM-using pokes). I'll be keeping notes of what happens in-game on this thread.

House rules:
- If any pokemon faints in battle, it is considered "dead" - it cannot be used again, nor can it be replaced by another poke caught in-game. I am required to have one less party member in my group for the rest of the game (If I lose my Inkay, for example, I could then only have a maximum of five pokes in my party, including HM slaves).
- No use of Exp. Share or O-Powers
- I can trade evolve my Seadra and trade back for it (if it is still alive) once I have netted myself a Dragon Scale in this current game
- I can evolve my Eevee only after finding the prerequisite stone in-game. I cannot use Super Training to get the Thunderstone required.

The pokemon:
Horsea
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4HP, 252 ATK, 252SPEED
Moves: Water Gun, Smokescreen, Leer, Outrage

Scatterbug
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4HP, 252SPA, 252 SPEED
Moves: Tackle, String Shot, Stun Spore

Lotad
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4HP, 252SPA, 252SPEED
Moves: Astonish, Leech Seed, Giga Drain

Eevee (Future Jolteon)
Ability: Run Away
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4HP, 252SPA, 252SPEED
Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Covet, Charm

Inkay:
Ability: Contrary
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252HP, 4DEF, 252SDEF
Moves: Constrict, Peck, Tackle

Ralts
Ability: Trace
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252HP, 4DEF, 252SDEF
Moves: Growl
#2rojse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 3:13:18 AM(edited)
Log 1: First Steps

Picked a female trainer (have a male trainer in other game). Called my trainer "Jocelyn", and gave my nickname "Miss Jocelyn" because my trainer deserves to be treated with some respect. Confirmed that you cannot trade until you have at least two pokes, and beat Shauna in two hits with Chespin. Left Sycamore's love letter with my mother, left home, brought some pokeballs and caught some Scatterbug, which I then traded over to my other game for five eggs, which I then hatched. I then sent over my last egg, and hatched that in this game. Now have all six pokes - Horsea, Scatterbug, Lotad, Eevee, Inkay and Ralts.

I then EV trained all of my pokemon using Super Training, which took quite a bit of time (a lot longer than it took to put up this second post). Super Training is a neat feature, but training feels unnecessarily long and quite repetitive.

Since the pokes in the first route are several levels stronger than me, I've decided to start levelling up with my Horsea - she's the poke with the best attack (outrage) and once I've levelled her up a few levels, hopefully I can switch out weaker pokes, have her take an attack and kill the opponent.
#3darkflagrancePosted 11/10/2013 5:31:12 AM
rojse posted...

Since the pokes in the first route are several levels stronger than me, I've decided to start levelling up with my Horsea - she's the poke with the best attack (outrage) and once I've levelled her up a few levels, hopefully I can switch out weaker pokes, have her take an attack and kill the opponent.

I did this with my full dragon team. Let me tell you, battles with lv 1 pokes against the first route trash got surprisingly intense >_> Luckily for me, I wasn't nuzlocke-ing.
---
[This signature has been deleted due to the request of God.]
(Friend code: 3668-8578-3939)
#4FancyButtsPosted 11/10/2013 5:33:16 AM
Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the "nuzlocke" challenge if you get to specifically pick what pokemon you use and then super train them?
---
If my words offend you, get off the internet.
#5DarknessLink7Posted 11/10/2013 5:38:50 AM
FancyButts posted...
Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the "nuzlocke" challenge if you get to specifically pick what pokemon you use and then super train them?

Well, in a sense, yes it does. But that all depends on what you want from your Nuzlocke experience. If you want a random team of Pokémon you probably never used, then selecting your team is a no-no. However, if you want to bond with your team and curse the heavens when they die, then selecting your team is a great idea.
---
3DS FC: 5026-4968-1695, Name: Adam
Perfection is at hand! I have been made compleat.
#6oozysaucePosted 11/10/2013 5:42:15 AM
'You are now tracking this topic.'
---
Pokemon Y: 2337-3799-8215
Safari (Normal) : Miccino, Eevee, Teddiursa
#7chaingear097Posted 11/10/2013 6:24:09 AM
Ever considered streaming this?

Also tracking this topic regardless, hope you make it till the end
---
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless." ~Bill Waterson
3DS FC 2492-4674-3153 Name: Chris097(Pokemon Y)
#8rojse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 6:26:01 AM
FancyButts posted...

I think there are two main parts to a Nuzlocke. The first is that a pokemon fainting isn't merely a minor inconvenience which can be fixed with a Revive - it's a major event which forces me to consider my poke's health at all times. If one of my pokes faint, the rest of my playthrough considers that poke to be dead.

Secondly, rules like nicknaming and catching the first poke in a particular area are meant to foister a bond between a trainer and their pokes, and limits on catching are meant to reinforce how precious each pokemon is. You can't merely replace a poke that faints with a second poke because they are an extremely limited resource. Since I'm not allowed to catch any other pokes, my party of six is as precious to me as any poke caught by another player doing a Nuzlocke by the proper rules. I might not be following the precise rules of a Nuzlocke as how they were originally set out, but I am preserving them in spirit.
#9rojse(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 6:29:02 AM
chaingear097 posted...
Ever considered streaming this?

Also tracking this topic regardless, hope you make it till the end

Two problems:

1) Don't know how to stream
2) I spent approximately six hours grinding Super Training, and another getting most of my team up to level 5 in the first patch of grass. Grinding up pokes to have a chance against the first bug trainer isn't really compelling viewing.
#10GoldenSun3DSPosted 11/10/2013 6:34:43 AM
It's pokemon not f***ing pokes god dammit.
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4! http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha!" - Basilio