This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

According to Serebii's PotW, Delphox sucks

#1SnowxReturnsPosted 11/10/2013 9:11:16 AM
From http://www.serebii.net/potw-xy/655.shtml:

Every generation we get three new starters, and it always seems we get one that manages to fail at practically everything. This time we have Delphox. A Pokemon with many common weaknesses, a limited movepool, and a useless ability.

I mean I made a thread a week ago (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67714178) specifically to avoid something like this. The metagame has barely started and Delphox is already labeled as a useless piece of trash even though it's actually decent in the mid tiers.

These PotW articles are way too harsh and need to be toned down.
#2gunsndrosesPosted 11/10/2013 9:13:45 AM
Delphox doesn't suck, it's just that Greninja is especially good, and that makes Delphox look like trash in comparison.
---
3DS FC: 3153-4286-2384
Trevenant
#3StickFingaz511Posted 11/10/2013 9:18:52 AM
I'm using chest aught when I get delphox I'm gunna use her as a supportokemon
#4InhaledCornPosted 11/10/2013 9:19:23 AM
I think Delphox's main problem is the limited movepool. The hazard thing will be less of a problem come December with the Defog boost. Mega Gengar will be out-sped on the first turn, assuming you have a choice scarf. Pursuit weak is a problem, however. And, there's a possibility that move tutors will help come the next game.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
Pokemon Friend Safari: Nincada, Sandshrew, Gastrodon
#5Slayerblade11Posted 11/10/2013 9:22:37 AM
It's move pool is a letdown. If it got Aura sphere and Thunder bolt it would be so much better.
---
3DS FC: 0774- 4438 - 6716
IGN-X
#6LentasticPosted 11/10/2013 9:42:34 AM(edited)
Magician Delphox is imo pretty useful, it steals the item the foe is holding AND it even takes effect on that same turn, so extra life orb damage if the foe was holding one, or let's say the enemy is holding a focus sash, not anymore you're not, or at least... I haven't stolen a focus sash yet, but considering how the life orb worked when I stole it, I can image it stops working for the foe and you get to keep it.

Looking at that page though, it says it takes effect on the 2nd turn..

So maybe I misremember or something, but I recall being quite surprised when it said my Delphox took damage from the life orb it just stole in that same attack.

I'm gonna go do some tests...

EDIT: Okay I can confirm, Life orb does take effect right away, but the Focus Sash sadly is used by the enemy and dissapears, so that claim was incorrect.
---
3DS FC: 2922 0286 6578
#7SkyknightPosted 11/10/2013 9:23:10 AM
...? Why specifically December? I don't remember there being THAT many Flying critters absent from X and Y...
#8DesulatedPosted 11/10/2013 9:23:42 AM
It's because Greninja (especially with Protean) is light years better.
---
3DS FC: 4785 5422 7178 (SOTF)
We're gonna need a bigger ass...to crap out this turd.
#9SkyknightPosted 11/10/2013 9:36:54 AM
{sigh} I'm not sure how much of a help it is to specifically compare starter with starter. Especially when considering hidden abilities, which essentially REQUIRE Friend Safari. Beginning-of-game starter pick not germane.

That said, I wonder how much better Delphox might do in Rotation Battles, where entry hazards aren't as much of a concern? (At least until someone starts playing around with Dragon Tail/Circle Throw...) Granted, it's a matter of how much of Delphox's quandaries stem from JUST the risk of hitting the stone minefield...
#10iKhan88Posted 11/10/2013 9:41:27 AM
SnowxReturns posted...
From http://www.serebii.net/potw-xy/655.shtml:

Every generation we get three new starters, and it always seems we get one that manages to fail at practically everything. This time we have Delphox. A Pokemon with many common weaknesses, a limited movepool, and a useless ability.

I mean I made a thread a week ago (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67714178) specifically to avoid something like this. The metagame has barely started and Delphox is already labeled as a useless piece of trash even though it's actually decent in the mid tiers.

These PotW articles are way too harsh and need to be toned down.

Yeah, Serebii is wrong. Delphox is the 3rd fastest fire type in existence (excluding Arceus-Fire). Fire+Grass is already pretty strong coverage. Fire+Grass+Psychic hits pretty much everything but Hydreigon

Chesnaught is WAY worse.

I'd say:

Greninja-OU
Delphox-UU
Chesnaught-RU
---
Any sig ideas?