This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

According to Serebii's PotW, Delphox sucks

#111RingsOfUranusPosted 11/12/2013 1:34:07 AM
Crimson_Spider posted...
The hilarious thing is that the author thinks Delphox is weak to mega-gengar. M-gengar can't switch in to Delphox, since Gengar is a poison type. At 327 sp. atk (assuming timid nature, and 252 EVs in special attack), Delphox will always OHKO 4 HP / 0 def / 0 sp. def Mega Gengar with both psychic and psyshock. At 128 EVs i sp. atk (296 sp. atk), Delphox will still OHKO mega gengar with psyshock, and has an 83% chance to OHKO with psychic.

That is with no item boosts, no entry hazards, no ability boosts. Even if you get a safe switch in somehow, if Delphox uses something like light screen, substitute, hypnosis, or mystical fire, then gengar is still toast. Granted, mega gengar can revenge kill if screen/sub isn't up.

The writer of the article only focused on the negatives for delphox, and in many cases those were ill-informed and extremely biased. Delphox has

#1: A plethora of support moves it can easily take advantage of (switcheroo, light screen, mystical fire, will-O-wisp, hypnosis, wish, magic coat, trick room, etc)
#2: Enough speed and offensive power to threaten and kill anything in its way.
#3: Enough special bulk to switch in to many special attacks
#4: Resists to fire, grass, ice, fighting, steel, and fairy, meaning that it resists 1/3rd of the type chart, along with most priority moves. Those move types aren't exactly rare.
#5: Enough coverage in attacks to hit hard, and hit many things. Grass/Psychic/Fire doesn't have many holes in its offense. The only two I can think of are Houndoom and Heatran.

All of this makes Delphox a useful utility as well as an unpredictable poke. What more can you ask for?

Your logic is that Delphox>Gengar because Gengar can't switch in on it. Go switch a Delphox in on Gengar and see how that goes for you. There are not a lot of things Gengar can switch in on.
---
Official Gengar of the Pokemon X board
#112Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/12/2013 1:39:39 AM
RingsOfUranus posted...

Your logic is that Delphox>Gengar because Gengar can't switch in on it. Go switch a Delphox in on Gengar and see how that goes for you. There are not a lot of things Gengar can switch in on.

lol no. My logic is that Delphox isn't weak to gengar because gengar can't switch in on it. Gengar can, however, switch in against fighting, normal, and ground to take no damage, poison and bug to take 1/4th damage and also half damage against fairy and grass.

Try again.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#113RingsOfUranusPosted 11/12/2013 1:49:07 AM
Crimson_Spider posted...
RingsOfUranus posted...

lol no. My logic is that Delphox isn't weak to gengar because gengar can't switch in on it. Gengar can, however, switch in against fighting, normal, and ground to take no damage, poison and bug to take 1/4th damage and also half damage against fairy and grass.

Try again.

It is weak to Gengar, because you can not switch Gengar in on it.

Volcorona is weak to Closyter because you can't switch in on it, then. There is no hope.

Know what I can switch in on a Delphox? Pretty much the rest of a randomly assembled team, other than Gengar. Can't switch on =/= a check or counter.
---
Official Gengar of the Pokemon X board
#114Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/12/2013 2:13:27 AM
RingsOfUranus posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...
RingsOfUranus posted...

Try again.

It is weak to Gengar, because you can not switch Gengar in on it.

Volcorona is weak to Closyter because you can't switch in on it, then. There is no hope.

Know what I can switch in on a Delphox? Pretty much the rest of a randomly assembled team, other than Gengar. Can't switch on =/= a check or counter.

I imagine not being able to switch gengar in on it would mean it is strong to gengar. But regardless, they aren't weak to each other because they're both capable of obliterating each other (Mega gengar, mind you). Of course, you can't switch anything in against mega gengar because lolshadowtag.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
#115WolfJouninPosted 11/12/2013 2:27:07 AM(edited)
Crimson_Spider posted...
I imagine not being able to switch gengar in on it would mean it is strong to gengar. But regardless, they aren't weak to each other because they're both capable of obliterating each other (Mega gengar, mind you). Of course, you can't switch anything in against mega gengar because lolshadowtag.

The problem with that logic is that Delphox HAS to expect Gengar to switch in and use Psychic/Psystrike instead of another move such as Flamethrower, otherwise Gengar will survive the hit and proceed to kill it the next turn. On the opposite situation if Gengar uses the wrong move on Delphox's switch in, it will still proceed to kill it the next turn. If both are brought out at the same time at the start of the match for some reason, Gengar will again proceed to kill it. If one of your Pokemon is killed, and you switch in Delphox on Gengar, it will be killed promptly. In the opposite case where the opponent's Pokemon is knocked out, and they switch Gengar in, Delphox will still die immediately. As you can see, it only wins in 1 gamble of a situation against Gengar, while the latter wins in every other scenario... and (Mega) Gengar is only one of the many Pokemon Delphox has trouble against... ignoring the weakness to Stealth Rock, the competition it faces from the likes of other fire-types that are in OU and UU (even if they are lacking the psychic typing... or not in the case of Victini), etc etc.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4639 - 9096 - 3760
#116Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/12/2013 2:26:02 AM
WolfJounin posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

The problem with that logic is that Delphox HAS to expect Gengar to switch in and use Psychic/Psystrike instead of another move such as Flamethrower, otherwise Gengar will survive the hit and proceed to kill it the next turn. On the opposite situation if Gengar uses the wrong move on Delphox's switch in, it will still proceed to kill it the next turn. If both are brought out at the same time at the start of the match for some reason, Gengar will again proceed to kill it. If one of your Pokemon is killed, and you switch in Delphox on Gengar, it will die be killed promptly. In the opposite case where the opponent's Pokemon is knocked out, and they switch Gengar in, Delphox will still die immediately. As you can see, it only wins in 1 situation against Gengar, while the latter wins in every other scenario... and (Mega) Gengar is only one of many of Delphox's problems... ignoring the competition it faces from the likes of other fire-types (even if they are lacking the psychic typing... or not in the case of Victini).

If Delphox uses hypnosis, light screen, mystical fire, or substitute, then the gengar switch-in is still pretty screwed. Also if Delphox is running something like choice scarf + switcheroo, then gengar would be killed in 2 attacks. I haven't run the numbers with choice specs, though.
---
#117wind64aPosted 11/12/2013 2:28:57 AM
WolfJounin posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

The problem with that logic is that Delphox HAS to expect Gengar to switch in and use Psychic/Psystrike instead of another move such as Flamethrower, otherwise Gengar will survive the hit and proceed to kill it the next turn. On the opposite situation if Gengar uses the wrong move on Delphox's switch in, it will still proceed to kill it the next turn. If both are brought out at the same time at the start of the match for some reason, Gengar will again proceed to kill it. If one of your Pokemon is killed, and you switch in Delphox on Gengar, it will be killed promptly. In the opposite case where the opponent's Pokemon is knocked out, and they switch Gengar in, Delphox will still die immediately. As you can see, it only wins in 1 gamble of a situation against Gengar, while the latter wins in every other scenario... and (Mega) Gengar is only one of the many Pokemon Delphox has trouble against... ignoring the weakness to Stealth Rock, the competition it faces from the likes of other fire-types that are in OU and UU (even if they are lacking the psychic typing... or not in the case of Victini), etc etc.

If they come in at the same time, Delphox has the luxury of being able to use a Focus Sash or Choice Scarf but the megastone necessitates that Gengar cannot have either.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. 3DS FC: 3050 8148 9673
#118WolfJouninPosted 11/12/2013 2:46:44 AM(edited)
Crimson_Spider posted...
If Delphox uses hypnosis, light screen, mystical fire, or substitute, then the gengar switch-in is still pretty screwed. Also if Delphox is running something like choice scarf + switcheroo, then gengar would be killed in 2 attacks. I haven't run the numbers with choice specs, though.

Hypnosis isn't very accurate, light screen is no good because Gengar can sub-disable Psychic if you didn't outright kill it, nobody serious runs mystical fire with its lacking bulk, and same as light screen in the case of substitute. Again this is all assuming Gengar switches in on Delphox, 1 situation out of 5 (the others being that both are out at the start, Gengar switches in after something is killed, Delphox switches in, and Delphox switches in after something is killed), and even then if you didn't predict Gengar and didn't use Psychic/Psystrike or land Hypnosis, Delphox loses.

wind64a posted...
If they come in at the same time, Delphox has the luxury of being able to use a Focus Sash or Choice Scarf but the megastone necessitates that Gengar cannot have either.

Now THAT is a reasonable response if I ever heard one (I'm not being sarcastic, no not in this parenthesis either)... the problem with that though is that Infernape is INFINITELY better at using a sash, even if it is going to be a special attacker and not utilize any of its other large variety of talents... and Gengar probably has a sub-disable set anyways, AND it doesn't have to be a mega Gengar by any means... and if you want to run a scarf, then Victini is infinitely better for V-Create and Bolt Strike/Fusion Bolt.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4639 - 9096 - 3760
#119Amenhotep01Posted 11/12/2013 3:10:36 AM
Mega Gengar doesn't need to switch to delphox in order to be OHKO'ED I will give you a simple scenario on how delphox will obliterate M. Gengar...

A modest or timid delphox ( with a 252 EV in Sp. atk and spd and with choice scarf ) faces a timid or modest m. gengar (the same ev spread). I believe delphox will go first due to choice scarf and uses psyshock, m.gengar will most likely get one-shotted because of its weakness and psyshock deals physical damage considering m. gengar has fragile defense, even if its a bold gengar with a 252 ev in defense, it will still be likely to be KO'ed.

This is just one example to prove that the author is wrong about saying M.Gengar will make sure that delphox will not last long, actually its the other way around. LOL
#120Gameandwatch2Posted 11/12/2013 3:18:16 AM(edited)
Pretty much anything that outspeeds Mega Gengar can KO it, so that's not much of a point.

The Choice Scart can turn around countless match-ups in general.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654-8394-0937
3DS FC: 4511-1815-7291 (Flying Safari: Swanna, Spearow, Doduo)