This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't really understand Smogon's "standard" Skarmory EV spread.

#1ShadowMaster684Posted 11/10/2013 5:38:47 PM
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/skarmory

Looking at their "Physically Defensive" set, they have the EV spread as 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Sp.Def.

I'm not against the idea of having a little bit more Special Defense, but it's odd to me that they would go with 224 HP and 252 Defense. Why would you not max out HP?

If you check the damage, you take a fraction less of a percentage of your HP from physical attacks, and with the extra HP the percentage you take from special attacks would also be less.

Also, you'd heal a slightly higher number of hitpoints from Leftovers and Roost. So why would you take away from the HP for Sp.Def, rather than just taking away from Def and getting more overall benefit from it?

Just doesn't make any sense.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0361-6447-6950
#2FuneralCakePosted 11/10/2013 5:39:56 PM
Smogon says...
224 HP EVs allows Skarmory to regain Sturdy after switching into Stealth Rock and receiving two layers of Leftovers recovery. 252 Defense EVs maximizes Skarmory's physical walling prowess, while 32 Special Defense EVs help Skarmory withstand some resisted Special Attacks. Leftovers is the preferred item to give Skarmory recovery on the side while keeping it closer to full health. If being trapped by Magnezone or Wobbuffet is an issue, Shed Shell can ensure that Skarmory can escape from such a dangerous situation.

---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
| 3DS FC: 3437 - 4335 - 3104 | | Friend Safari: Panpour, Wartortle, Frogadier |
#3Kabuto_YPosted 11/10/2013 5:40:15 PM
Straight from the "additional comments" button you can click to reveal more text, the first sentence is literally:

224 HP EVs allows Skarmory to regain Sturdy after switching into Stealth Rock and receiving two layers of Leftovers recovery
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#4SouretsuPosted 11/10/2013 5:42:59 PM
It's obviously been explained already, but I feel like I should point out that despite your obliviousness, it's good that you questioned the EV spread instead of unthinkingly accepting it like many other people would do, TC. There can be much more to EV spreads than simply maxing two stats out.
---
3DS Friend Code: 5455-9401-7637
MH3U: Souretsu
#5ShadowMaster684(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 5:45:41 PM
I guess if the points make that much of a difference when calculating the same percentages, that makes some small sense, but I don't know where you would come into a situation where you're switching into Stealth Rocks and you wouldn't be taking damage for two turns.

I assume it's some sort of rounding issue with the extra 8 total HP that makes it so that Leftovers somehow doesn't heal off the same percentages?
---
#6tsunamisurfer08Posted 11/10/2013 5:48:14 PM(edited)
Kabuto_Y posted...
Straight from the "additional comments" button you can click to reveal more text, the first sentence is literally:

224 HP EVs allows Skarmory to regain Sturdy after switching into Stealth Rock and receiving two layers of Leftovers recovery

As opposed to it figuratively saying that? >_>

Anyways, that also assumes Skarmory will go untouched for two turns.

Ninja'd
---
Love everyone, trust only a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare
3DS FC: 3609-1815-4602 (Ben)
#7ShadowMaster684(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2013 6:02:15 PM(edited)
Souretsu posted...
It's obviously been explained already, but I feel like I should point out that despite your obliviousness, it's good that you questioned the EV spread instead of unthinkingly accepting it like many other people would do, TC. There can be much more to EV spreads than simply maxing two stats out.

It wasn't really obliviousness as much as not seeing any legitimate point in it. I imagine the differences are quite small either way, but I just don't see a situation where I'd be sitting there not taking damage for two turns after switching into a hazard.

EDIT: Either way, with max HP at 334, you would take 41.75 damage (42 when rounded up) from Stealth Rock, and you would heal 20.875 (assuming 21 rounded up) from Leftovers. That should give you the exact same results.

With 326 HP - what you would get with 32 fewer EVs - you would take 40.75 (rounded to 41), and heal 20.375 (20, rounded down), so that actually wouldn't get you back to full HP. The logic is completely backward, here - unless the number is always rounded up, in which case it would STILL be just as true for 334 HP.

The only way it adds up is if the number is always rounded down. Then it's a 1 HP difference with full HP investment. I assume that's what's been established.
---