This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, a friend of mine is making a dragon team.

#1Dark weaponPosted 11/11/2013 10:52:38 AM
... and I challenged her to a battle.

We just started the game so i have a lot of time to prepare, but I have no idea how to build a proper team to fight that.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that I should get a fairy, but most of them seem pretty underwhelming, especially if you compare them to Dragon types. Any tips you guys can give me?
---
Er... Well, Y'know. You can't make an omelette without um... Destroying a Forest. Or Something. - Black mage
#2RotomGuy3Posted 11/11/2013 10:53:14 AM
Togekiss, Azumarill, Slyveon, Florges. Take your pick.
---
My 3DS FC
Rotom: 3308-5985-4794
#3Decimator11Posted 11/11/2013 10:54:34 AM
Get yourself a Starmie as well and teach the thing Ice Beam. Proceed to wreck.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qwW6T.jpg
#4MegaDuranPosted 11/11/2013 10:58:00 AM
...its kind of a ***** move to get a team specifically to beat her, don't you think?

dragon has a bunch of weaknesses, if you want to exploit them specifically, go ahead and get ice, dragon and fairy pokemon.
---
3DS: 3351-5468-4271 IGN: Benny
#5Dark weapon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:04:05 AM
Well, it would be nice to use just the Pokemon I like, but I don't think they would stand much of a chance.

But I'm not aiming for an unbeatable team either, just a few core Pokemon I can use to deal with Garchomp or Dragonite, Gardevoir seems like a solid pick, and I heard Azumarill got pretty good with the fairy type.
---
Er... Well, Y'know. You can't make an omelette without um... Destroying a Forest. Or Something. - Black mage
#6NessEggmanPosted 11/11/2013 11:10:25 AM
Florges is great against Special-based dragons. Especially if you can get a couple Calm Minds off somehow. Can take out stuff like Goodra even if they're packing sludge bomb or whatever poison move it is they have (lol mine even has it and I can't remember XZD)

A Pokémon with Topsy-Turvy or Clear Smog or something might be nice, since she will probably be using swords dance or dragon dance somewhere. Clear Smog is risky because Poison types can easily be knocked out with an EQ which I'm sure you'll run into.

If you're wanting to try a stall strategy, Mega Venusaur is pretty bulky, only weak to Flying and Psychic once it Mega-Evolves, and can easily set up Ingrain against most dragons (just make sure you've gotten rid of any flyers first... shouldn't be hard with that 4x ice weakness). Also immune to poison, laughs at sandstorms. Then leech seed and toxic each dragon that comes your way. This is better for later in the match, because they can also easily set up dancing against you. But toxic is a good threat against that.

Try not to use Pokémon weak to ground or fire, because a lot of dragons are going to be running earthquake and flamethrower and stuff.

Klefki fares pretty well against a lot of dragons. Reflect and Light Screen are great priotiy moves -- use one according to whichever your opponent specializes in. Run a Modest set but put all your EVs into defenses. Reflect/LightScreen/ThunderWave/DrainingKiss. For your item go with either a berry to reduce ground or fire damage, or a big root. Big root + draining kiss... you'll be surprised. You can 2HKO Hydreigon and Noivern, all while completely restoring your HP.
---
Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it.
3DSFC: 2750 1911 5515 (Boldore, Barbaracle, Corsola)
#7malcom_emyrPosted 11/11/2013 11:14:40 AM
All those options above are great for dealing with dragon lords, BUT, forfeit if she send out a Jolly Tyrunt with the secret fang, best thing to do, RIP.
#8srzgPosted 11/11/2013 11:19:16 AM
Be careful if she has weakness policy on Dragonite
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1693/srzg.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/nio/90srzgpngug.png ~wdlp was here~
#9Dark weapon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 11:21:10 AM
NessEggman posted...
Florges is great against Special-based dragons. Especially if you can get a couple Calm Minds off somehow. Can take out stuff like Goodra even if they're packing sludge bomb or whatever poison move it is they have (lol mine even has it and I can't remember XZD)

A Pokémon with Topsy-Turvy or Clear Smog or something might be nice, since she will probably be using swords dance or dragon dance somewhere. Clear Smog is risky because Poison types can easily be knocked out with an EQ which I'm sure you'll run into.

If you're wanting to try a stall strategy, Mega Venusaur is pretty bulky, only weak to Flying and Psychic once it Mega-Evolves, and can easily set up Ingrain against most dragons (just make sure you've gotten rid of any flyers first... shouldn't be hard with that 4x ice weakness). Also immune to poison, laughs at sandstorms. Then leech seed and toxic each dragon that comes your way. This is better for later in the match, because they can also easily set up dancing against you. But toxic is a good threat against that.

Try not to use Pokémon weak to ground or fire, because a lot of dragons are going to be running earthquake and flamethrower and stuff.

Klefki fares pretty well against a lot of dragons. Reflect and Light Screen are great priotiy moves -- use one according to whichever your opponent specializes in. Run a Modest set but put all your EVs into defenses. Reflect/LightScreen/ThunderWave/DrainingKiss. For your item go with either a berry to reduce ground or fire damage, or a big root. Big root + draining kiss... you'll be surprised. You can 2HKO Hydreigon and Noivern, all while completely restoring your HP.

Wow, that's great advice! I will be sure to look into Klefki.

Malcom, what is secret fang supposed to be?
---
#10FullAutoCVTPosted 11/11/2013 11:24:03 AM
Take my advice, since I am a dragon trainer

-Scarfchomp is the biggest pain in the behind for many dragon types, as it revenges most of them so easily, even after a Dragon Dance.

-Helmet Ferrothorn is always fun to switch into an outrage.

-Togekiss will be nice, having immunity to both of the deadly Dragon/Ground combo, and responding with high power fairy attacks.

-Bulky waters that carry ice moves are tough to deal with, since few dragons use electric or grass. Vaporeon, Milotic, and Gyarados come to mind, but there are many others.

-Priority ice users (mostly Weavile and Mamoswine) can bring the havoc

-Remember not to become overspecialized, as your friend likely will bring stuff to beat the usual counters.