This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I suck. did u suck when u first started playin competitively?

#21RAPTall1Posted 11/11/2013 5:48:58 PM(edited)
I had done a lot of research both on my own and watching Youtubers battle before I made my first competitive team in 4th gen. I wasn't great right at first, but I wasn't too bad either. It's something that takes practice.

I was actually overpredicting a lot in the beginning which cost me a few games, but you settle into a rhythm and fighting style that suits you after a bit.

On another note, I'd suggest trying out your team on something like Showdown first so you can see how your team synergizes before putting the time and effort into breeding the team. This is especially useful if you're a new battler to get some insight on what works and what doesn't.
---
3DS FC: 2621-2828-9190
Ground: Pupitar Dwebble and Barbaracle
#22Pervert_KuhnPosted 11/11/2013 5:50:41 PM
RAPTall1 posted...
I had done a lot of research both on my own and watching Youtubers battle before I made my first competitive team in 4th gen. I wasn't great right at first, but I wasn't too bad either. It's something that takes practice.

I was actually overpredicting a lot in the beginning which cost me a few games, but you settle into a rhythm and fighting style that suits you after a bit.

On another note, I'd suggest trying out your team on something like Showdown first so you can see how your team synergizes before putting the time and effort into breeding the team. This is especially useful if you're a new battler to get some insight on what works and what doesn't.

This is my main snag when it comes to battling. I psyche myself out by thinking, "The obvious thing is to do this, but they'll expect me to do it, so I'll do that. But no, they'll expect me to expect them to expect me to do this..."
---
The Official Almaz von Almandine Adamant of the Disgaea 4 Board
Pokemon X FC: 4768-7650-8206. In-Game Name: Evangeline
#23P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 11/11/2013 5:51:38 PM
RAPTall1 posted...

That's what I've been doing. I spent this past weekend making some 6th gen teams, and seeing if they worked.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
3DS FC: 3222-6121-8437
#24lazinickiPosted 11/11/2013 5:58:24 PM
I did not win much when i first started. It really becomes about what you know.. and the only way to get good is experince and having great team synergy. These things can be given a ground knowledge kind of, but most of it has to be learned through experince.
---
3ds FC: 0559-7351-6929
Looking for Safaris PM if you have: Smeragle, Cloyster, Gyarados, Azumrail, Forgiadier
#25_KGC_Posted 11/11/2013 6:06:57 PM
Depends on what you mean by competitively. I remember wanting to beat every CPU on Pokemon Stadium 2 (Round 2) with me then looking up stats and moveset data (with Earl's Academy) to see what were my best options. I still wasn't that good, lol.

Also I remember getting mad that two of the same Pokemon had different stats, even when stuffing them max vitamins. I always thought I was doing something wrong. >_>

I don't remember when I first started competitively against real people. The most earliest log of me playing in NetBattle was like in 2006 with CB Aero, Latios (lolwat), Weezing, DD Tar, Blissey, Skarmory. I'm sure I had even earlier interactions but that team was the earliest the logs went. I can't believe its been that long.

The first match I had on shoddy battle was me 6-0 someone with lead Scarf Heracross, lmao me. Still to this day, I'm still not all that good. :/
---
"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
- Yogi Berra
#26WetstewPosted 11/11/2013 6:07:16 PM
I sucked initially, but I played the PWT so much that I patched up the weak spots in my team and learned the greatness of Thunder Wave, and Encore. I win most of my battles in random because I can predict what the most common pokemon use and counter it.

I use encore on Aegislash because they almost always lead with Sword Dance or King's Shield, for example.

Or if someone sends out an Aegislash when my Gardevior is out I'll switch because they are most likely going to use Shadow Sneak or Sword Dance then my Minccino Encores and chips it away or forces a switch out.

Most of being good at Pokemon is just knowing the most common threats to you team and learning how they are usually played.
(There are only around a dozen that are good with only a few solid weaknesses. Like Aegislash, Rotom-W, Speed Boost Blaziken)
---
For every good thing in life, there is one indirect link to a photo service. -eco master