This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain why the item clause exists?

#11GilgameshSwordsPosted 11/12/2013 12:58:19 AM
TC9834 posted...
GilgameshSwords posted...
TC9834 posted...
First of all, let me just say, I like the Smogon rules. It's my preferred method of playing when I battle, and it's so because I agree with the reasoning behind the various clauses.

I agree with the tier system, I agree with the evasion and sleep clause, and I understand why it's there.

But the item clause I could never understand. Granted I still play under Smogon rules most of the time if I can because, even though I don't understand this one clause, I don't think it invalidates the rest of the clauses on the Smogon metagame.

I just want to know the reasoning behind it. I figured it's to promote diversity in the game, but I just don't see how having 2 of the same items really hurts that. I can see why having two of the same Pokemon can, but I don't see having two Pokemons with both holding the same item really hurts the game.

I'm not trying to debate (although I know there is a good chance it will happen), but I just want to understand the thought process behind it.

I never see item clause in Gen VI OU, or last gen.

But heres why it is a good thing

6 Pokémon with Focus Sash or
6 Pokémon with leftovers and protect.

While I do see that in some way hampering diversity, I just don't think having 6 pokemon with leftovers or focus sash viable enough to have a clause preventing that.

A well balanced team will have members that carry out different roles, and for each role, there is an item that would be better suited for that role and the Pokemon carrying out that role.

For example, focus sash and leftovers are better suited for walls and support members right? (For the most part, there are of course exceptions), and would you really want a team of purely support or walls? Maybe I'm just not that good in competitive battling yet, but I don't see that as a viable strategy, so that even if there were no item clause, I wouldn't have all my guys holding the same items.

Again, that's just me, thanks for trying to explain it, but I still don't see the point of it. It just seems redundant that's all.

Thing is though, not everyone goes for good teams, or diversity.
---
http://www.techieanalyst.net/index.php?/index
1461-7255-1809
#12wind64aPosted 11/12/2013 1:03:29 AM
Item Clause is one of the official tourney rules. Part of it might be to make stall teams less viable, because they usually aren't very fun to play against. Yes they will use 6 leftovers, or the occasional Black Sludge if they have a Poison Type present.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. 3DS FC: 3050 8148 9673
#13Twilight_SonataPosted 11/12/2013 1:07:01 AM
I suspect Item Clause originated because of the fact that, for many items at least at one point, only one of that item was available per game, and they wanted to discourage folks from trading just for items and stuff like that. I personally like item clause, but it's kind of a grayer area for me.
---
"Amaura's been in my line up pretty much the entire game. Guess I'll start cramming protein down his throat for the next three hours."
- barneyonfire
#14GilgameshSwordsPosted 11/12/2013 1:11:43 AM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
TC9834 posted...
First of all, let me just say, I like the Smogon rules. It's my preferred method of playing when I battle, and it's so because I agree with the reasoning behind the various clauses.

I agree with the tier system, I agree with the evasion and sleep clause, and I understand why it's there.

But the item clause I could never understand. Granted I still play under Smogon rules most of the time if I can because, even though I don't understand this one clause, I don't think it invalidates the rest of the clauses on the Smogon metagame.

I just want to know the reasoning behind it. I figured it's to promote diversity in the game, but I just don't see how having 2 of the same items really hurts that. I can see why having two of the same Pokemon can, but I don't see having two Pokemons with both holding the same item really hurts the game.

I'm not trying to debate (although I know there is a good chance it will happen), but I just want to understand the thought process behind it.

Wow this is so bad i hope you're joking
Inb4just casual and wanna satire

You jest but the amount of all leftovers, or all focus sash teams I have gone up against on Showdown is Too Damn High
---
http://www.techieanalyst.net/index.php?/index
1461-7255-1809
#15RingsOfUranusPosted 11/12/2013 1:26:12 AM
Ku-Ri-Boh posted...
TC9834 posted...

Wow this is so bad i hope you're joking
Inb4just casual and wanna satire

You jest but the amount of all leftovers, or all focus sash teams I have gone up against on Showdown is Too Damn High

With the Priority-centric Gen 6, Stall teams aren't as viable as they used to be. I know, I used to love running stall teams.
---
Official Gengar of the Pokemon X board
#16Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/12/2013 1:27:01 AM
x6 focus sash isn't a big deal, since entry hazards completely break that.

Anyway, the item clause is one of those things that perplexes me. It has been around since PKMN Stadium 2, but I was never sure why.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.