This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what does creativity (in pokemon terms) even mean?

#1Tryin2GetDaPipePosted 11/12/2013 7:20:42 AM
like for example, does using lesser used pokemon really mean creativity? lets say, Sigilyph, like it will most likely use one or two sets (the psycho shift/cosmic power/stored power set) and maybe a typical cm set with life orb. But is that really creative?

then i see people telling me that i'm uncreative because i used a tyranitar or a jirachi. do you know how versatile those two pokemon are? they both can easily run 7+ viable sets yet they all get called uncreative

i mean a team like tyranitar / jirachi / celebi / garchomp / scizor / keldeo will most likely get called uncreative my most of you right off the bat but yet 4 of these pokemon (tyranitar / jirachi / celebi / garchomp) can run all sorts of viable and vastly different sets.

yet a team like amoonguss, quagsire, porygon2, sableye, xatu, hitmontop will most likely get praised as creative and original when for the most part you know what every set will most likely be.

and my final question, why is being unoriginal even a bad thing? if you like using it and it gets you wins then what's the problem?
---
You Trying to Get The Pipe? ~ Earl Joseph Smith III
http://theknickswall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/JRSmith-copy-copy.png
#2ShadowUmbreon42Posted 11/12/2013 7:23:30 AM
Because if you copy stuff from smogon and then bash original sets you are a scrubbish smogon sheep.
---
Being yourself is the greatest thing. Do not let anyone tell you different.
3DS FC: 2277-7277-6375
#3sunshinesanPosted 11/12/2013 7:26:22 AM
It means using tackle and growl and being proud about it. Also losing, because pokemon is about fun and and using your favorite Weedle.
---
My power is maximum.
#4KrentarisPosted 11/12/2013 7:30:04 AM
I suspect that there are people who will bash you for using standard sets because they are effective, however that's more to do with them sucking than anything. Using a specific Pokémon doesn't mean you're uncreative, that's a ridiculous fallacy.

However, often people see being uncreative as a bad thing, because you are simply reusing the information that others have discovered before you. If there was no innovation, there would be no progress. And frequently, there are many who "use the things that work" only because they know they work, without any actual understanding of the concepts or reasons why.

I do think that Smogon is a valuable resource, because everyone has to start somewhere, and it is a great way of chronicling everything that has been discovered thus far. But you are uninterested in thinking for yourself and only recycle tried and tested strategies, can you really lay claim to any success you may have?
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."
#5BadDecisionsPosted 11/12/2013 7:38:24 AM
1. Take a set from Smogon, preferably of a BL or lower Pokemon.
2. Change one or two moves without even thinking about synergy with the rest of your team.
3. Bam, creativity.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#6BadDecisionsPosted 11/12/2013 7:40:04 AM
I don't know why creativity was a step in being creative.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#7Darth_HaroPosted 11/12/2013 7:41:36 AM
IMO there's creativity and hipsterism, which the latter is what a lot of people take as a close ideal.
#8beebarbPosted 11/12/2013 7:42:40 AM
There are still people who don't even use those cookie-cutter Smogon sets as a template. I personally prefer to experiment on my own.

So properly creative players do exist.
---
Experience beats bias, but words on the Internet are meaningless.
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#9banjo kazooiePosted 11/12/2013 7:45:12 AM
There's good and there's creative. Creative is deviation from cookie cutter, and good is effective. It's far more stylish to be creative and good than it is to play it safe with a cookie cutter team, and a team that is both good and creative is often more reliable than a good cookie-cutter team, simply because cookie-cutter teams are very predictable. Throwing a Charizard Y on a team that would not appear to benefit from the sun, for example, can throw people for a loop, as they would likely be expecting Charizard X, potentially winning you the match by playing on their preconceptions of team building.
---
That's strange because reading it gave me Shonen level powers, a spiked hair cut, and Lupus. - SwordMasterEX
#10MaruKazeryuPosted 11/12/2013 7:47:43 AM
cookie cutter builds are cookie cutter because they work

it's why Aegislash is so good despite having ONE dominant build: even if you predict the hell out of it, unless you have a pokemon specifically tailored to beat it, it's still going to put a dent in your team
---
4639-9811-6534 -Pokemon X/Y Friend Code. PM if you add. Trainer name: Marii
Friend Safari: Grumpig, Sigilyph, Girafarig