This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Preferred ability for Volcarona?

#1SaintValiancePosted 11/12/2013 12:27:31 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out which Ability is more practical for battle. Flame Body has a chance of kicking in & hindering a Physical Sweeper, but if Volcarona is left hanging by a thread & also has a Quiver Dance or two already buffing it, that's makes its Bugg Buzz one of the heaviest hitting moves in the game. What would you guys suggest?
---
3DS FC : 3840-6563-7931 Trainer Name - Dillon
Friend Safari : Water, with Frogadier, Wartortle, & the ALMIGHTY BIBAREELL!!!
#2montyaiPosted 11/12/2013 12:31:02 PM
Flame body is always preferred.
Swarm also has its use with life orb and stuff.

Anyway, flame body.
---
FC : 2337-2888-2307
#3drlolimasterPosted 11/12/2013 12:31:18 PM
i go with flame body because i prefer to keep it healthy with roost and after quiver dances bugg buzz is plenty powerful to begin with. though there are agruments for both sides as azumerill will probably make any amount of health meaningless while with quiver dance it should outspeed any non priority/boosted opponent and kill making it okay to stay at low health. id actually like to know myself. i havent begun ev training my larvesta yet so id like to see other opinions. i just go with flame body because i dont feel swam is neccesary
#4KeldonisPosted 11/12/2013 12:32:18 PM
Probably Flame Body.

Swarm could have its uses, but Volc is pretty frail anyway. What are the odds it'll be hanging on by 1/3?

Granted, it doesn't take physical hits well regardless, but you at least have a chance to cripple the revenge killing/or physical poke that may or may not be taking you out.
---
3DS FC: 1977-1571-8378
#5chaingear097Posted 11/12/2013 12:38:23 PM
How many times do you actually get to set up a QD or two w/o being forced to switch? Also most people QD to sweep and dont expect to live a hit bec of Volc's subpar defenses.

Also Volcarona has mid to low defenses to begin with and is highly unlikely to live a STABed attack physical or special

If you want to go for an offensive Volc , I suggest you get Flame Body

Else make a Bulky Volcarona with Evs in defenses and go with the (either ability works)
SubRoost/Hurricane/BugBuzz or FireBlast set :)

Buts thats my experience with it, just try things out and decide for yourself with ability is more preferable for you.
---
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless." ~Bill Waterson
3DS FC 2492-4674-3153 Name: Chris097(Pokemon Y)
#6SaintValiance(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 12:40:23 PM
I'm just thinking, Sweepers are left at Critical in my battles plenty often, They either take the hit, or get downed out right, so I see Swarm being active during battle more often than Flame Body, so I'm thinking the same thing, is boosted Bug Buzz powerful enough to ignore the likely boost Swarm would give it. I'm weighing the 30% of Burn to Pokemon that touch you(which isn't a whole lot to be honest) vs the seemingly reliable boost of power from surviving a hit. I think Swarm boosts would happen a lot more often than burns from Flame Body, but if the the power is completely unnecessary, than even the slightest chance of an added Burn would be worth it. So the question still remains, does the extra damage cover more than what one/two Quiver Dances can?
---
#7KeldonisPosted 11/12/2013 12:40:23 PM
Well you could run a Sash on it to guarantee at least one QD, then you're also boosted by Swarm.

Of course, you're easily revenged by any priority user but still.....it's an option.

Just make sure you have it out before Stealth Rock lol, or lead with it to guarantee the above.
---
3DS FC: 1977-1571-8378
#8SaintValiance(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2013 12:42:44 PM
chaingear097 posted...
How many times do you actually get to set up a QD or two w/o being forced to switch? Also most people QD to sweep and dont expect to live a hit bec of Volc's subpar defenses.

Also Volcarona has mid to low defenses to begin with and is highly unlikely to live a STABed attack physical or special

If you want to go for an offensive Volc , I suggest you get Flame Body

Else make a Bulky Volcarona with Evs in defenses and go with the (either ability works)
SubRoost/Hurricane/BugBuzz or FireBlast set :)

Buts thats my experience with it, just try things out and decide for yourself with ability is more preferable for you.

Volcarona has 105 base Sp. Defense, it can take a Special based attack fine, & with the boost from Quiver Dance it can take a second one, be left with very low health, but twice the Speed, Sp. Defense, & Sp. Attack power.
---