This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you Consider Wi-Fi Random Match-Ups Competitive?

#1BlindluciusginPosted 11/13/2013 8:15:45 PM
First of all, in this battles you are only able to use 3 pokemon making the whole luck factor raise up ridiculously, how do you ask? with only being able to use 3 pokemon the 80% of the battle is decided even before the battle, since if you predict only a bit wrong (Which is luck based) it is GG, also a critical hit can decide the match (Yeah in 6 v 6 also but only in a few occasions)

Second, Walls are useless since the battle last so little than setting time is a comple waste of time (here the factor of predicting is super relevant a wall can become useless, but in a 6 v 6 a good wall should always work)

Summary, wifi random match-ups in my opinion are far away from competitive, because it make the amount of luck (which is not small) in pokemon rise up to the skies, making the battle a luck game in most of the times
---
FC:3196-4288-4535
#2NiftyyyyyPosted 11/13/2013 8:19:08 PM
Blindluciusgin posted...
First of all, in this battles you are only able to use 3 pokemon making the whole luck factor raise up ridiculously, how do you ask? with only being able to use 3 pokemon the 80% of the battle is decided even before the battle, since if you predict only a bit wrong (Which is luck based) it is GG, also a critical hit can decide the match (Yeah in 6 v 6 also but only in a few occasions)

Second, Walls are useless since the battle last so little than setting time is a comple waste of time (here the factor of predicting is super relevant a wall can become useless, but in a 6 v 6 a good wall should always work)

Summary, wifi random match-ups in my opinion are far away from competitive, because it make the amount of luck (which is not small) in pokemon rise up to the skies, making the battle a luck game in most of the times

I've had a lot of success using physically defensive Skarmory and careful nature 252HP/252SpDef Assault Vest Tyranitar together. I just slap toxic on Skarmory instead of spikes and he is great for phasing out basically anything that tries to set up.
#3Blindluciusgin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 8:29:25 PM
Niftyyyyy posted...
Blindluciusgin posted...

I've had a lot of success using physically defensive Skarmory and careful nature 252HP/252SpDef Assault Vest Tyranitar together. I just slap toxic on Skarmory instead of spikes and he is great for phasing out basically anything that tries to set up.

Now there is a difference, first you are using two walls that balance each out not just one, but still that is great stragedy and second when i mean using walls is useless is in the factor of predicting, imagine this case your opponent has 4 Sp atk and 2 Atk pokemons, the most inteligent thing is to send out a special wall right? but what happens if your opponent just chosed only 1 Sp atker? your wall would be now useless and that would be one pokemon down instantly, but your oponent has still to predict that. So do you think a batlle with that such high amount of luck is considered a competitive game?
---
#4Xeo352Posted 11/13/2013 8:30:58 PM
I consider random match-ups semi-competitive, online competition might break into true competitive though.
---
Pokemon X: 4313-0450-2944
#5Plasma EXEPosted 11/13/2013 8:39:13 PM
Doubles are fairly fun and much less luck based (also more variety minus the fact everyone probably has Klefki on their team). I've gotten tired of seeing Rotom-W in singles every single match.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyogre/Sawk/Meditite
#6NiftyyyyyPosted 11/13/2013 8:39:27 PM
Blindluciusgin posted...
Niftyyyyy posted...
Blindluciusgin posted...

Now there is a difference, first you are using two walls that balance each out not just one, but still that is great stragedy and second when i mean using walls is useless is in the factor of predicting, imagine this case your opponent has 4 Sp atk and 2 Atk pokemons, the most inteligent thing is to send out a special wall right? but what happens if your opponent just chosed only 1 Sp atker? your wall would be now useless and that would be one pokemon down instantly, but your oponent has still to predict that. So do you think a batlle with that such high amount of luck is considered a competitive game?

There is definitely a bit of guess work involved. Sometimes you can tell what they are going to do though I find.. Especially if they have a Scollipede you just know they are going to try and Baton pass Speed Boosts so I just phaze them with Skarmory.

If I see a team has 4 special attackers I use Tyranitar, if they have more physical i use Skarmory. Generally The wall of choice will still be a good counter to at least 1 Pokemon in their team but sometimes you do just get it completely wrong. I send both out together a lot of the time as well.
#7Blindluciusgin(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 8:45:57 PM
Niftyyyyy posted...
Blindluciusgin posted...
Niftyyyyy posted...
Blindluciusgin posted...

There is definitely a bit of guess work involved. Sometimes you can tell what they are going to do though I find.. Especially if they have a Scollipede you just know they are going to try and Baton pass Speed Boosts so I just phaze them with Skarmory.

If I see a team has 4 special attackers I use Tyranitar, if they have more physical i use Skarmory. Generally The wall of choice will still be a good counter to at least 1 Pokemon in their team but sometimes you do just get it completely wrong. I send both out together a lot of the time as well.

You said it, there is a huge luck factor,so is a game where predecting before even the battle starts is a competitive game?
---
#8agesboyPosted 11/13/2013 8:51:14 PM
Blindluciusgin posted...
You said it, there is a huge luck factor,so is a game where predecting before even the battle starts is a competitive game?

In competitive RTS, if neither player invests in scouting, it often comes down to guessing what army your opponent is going to build and trying to counter it with your own. By the time contact is actually made, army composition is already decided and one player will gain a significant advantage because of it. Would you say that isn't competitive?

Outpredicting your opponent is the essence of any competition, imo.
---
http://i.imgur.com/LabbRyN.jpg
raytan and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.
#9AlphanumericPosted 11/13/2013 8:56:12 PM
agesboy posted...
Blindluciusgin posted...

In competitive RTS, if neither player invests in scouting, it often comes down to guessing what army your opponent is going to build and trying to counter it with your own. By the time contact is actually made, army composition is already decided and one player will gain a significant advantage because of it. Would you say that isn't competitive?

Outpredicting your opponent is the essence of any competition, imo.

I'm not familiar with RTS's, so why wouldn't someone invest in scouting most of the time?
---
http://i.imgur.com/d6BoWMy.gif