This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Morality and Pokemon

#11Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 4:51:51 PM
ChocoboDreams posted...
Where does the morality fall in line when you get Person A who prefers to breed all of his pokemon but doesn't chastise those who hack their own pokemon, and Person B who forces all of his hacked pokemon on other people (potentially including Person A) by tossing them all into something like Wonder Trade?

They could really be anything, but Person B certainly isn't a utilitarian. Unless, of course, he thinks he's make the world a better place by doing so.
#12ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/15/2013 4:55:25 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
ChocoboDreams posted...
Where does the morality fall in line when you get Person A who prefers to breed all of his pokemon but doesn't chastise those who hack their own pokemon, and Person B who forces all of his hacked pokemon on other people (potentially including Person A) by tossing them all into something like Wonder Trade?

They could really be anything, but Person B certainly isn't a utilitarian. Unless, of course, he thinks he's make the world a better place by doing so.

Point is, Person B in this scenario is morally flawed in that he's purposely getting in the way of Person A's morals, and worse so Person A might not even realize it. Some people want to play their game their own way, Person B has no right to ruin that for them. This is why Gamefreak should do whatever is in their ability to keep hacked pokemon from being traded, and more-so, from being allowed to battle.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#13Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:00:49 PM
ChocoboDreams posted...
Point is, Person B in this scenario is morally flawed in that he's purposely getting in the way of Person A's morals, and worse so Person A might not even realize it. Some people want to play their game their own way, Person B has no right to ruin that for them. This is why Gamefreak should do whatever is in their ability to keep hacked pokemon from being traded, and more-so, from being allowed to battle.

But if Person A doesn't realize he has a hacked Pokemon, and the game doesn't care, how is it immoral?
#14tehkapiPosted 11/15/2013 5:11:54 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
ChocoboDreams posted...

But if Person A doesn't realize he has a hacked Pokemon, and the game doesn't care, how is it immoral?

Put simply, its your responsibility.
Recently, the EBT system went down across the country. Basically, people on Food Stamps were being told they either had no balance, or an unlimited balance. Those with unlimited balances took advantage of it, some people even walking out of the stores with multiple carts.
If the EBT system is down, stores should only allow up to $50 in purchases. Some retailers, like Walmart, allowed the charges to go through no matter how high.

So, who's in the wrong? Walmart for allowing the charges to go through, or the people that took advantage of the glitch?

Yes, this is an entirely different scenario, but it holds the same point, people are responsible for their own actions. In the case of battling online, they should always play legitimately and by the rules, it doesn't matter if the Pokemon "looks" legit, its not if its been generated by an outside source. Yeah, Pokemon might only be programming and pixels, but it doesn't mean you should play God and create your own just because you "don't have time," "don't have knowledge," etc.
---
No, I am not going to run, I am not going to hide, I am going to take a stand and fight!
#TeamChespin FTW!
#15KeeperOfShadowsPosted 11/15/2013 5:15:11 PM
Gotta love how serious video games have become these days.

I miss the 90s sometimes...
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
"Are you angry? Do you hate me?"
#16Ac3777Posted 11/15/2013 5:17:21 PM
This topic sounds like one of my Philosophy classes I had when I was in college. LOL
---
3DS: 3969 - 5035 - 8237
Munna, Sigilyph, Xatu
#17Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:19:43 PM
tehkapi posted...

Well, in your scenario, both parties knew what they were doing, and harm was done to an outside party. WT hacked Pokemon may indeed harm others; I'm arguing that if someone receives it, is oblivious to the fact, and is appreciative, such a thing is not immoral. It also has a negligible effect on the meta.
#18Doctor_SpankyPosted 11/15/2013 5:21:43 PM(edited)
tehkapi posted...
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
ChocoboDreams posted...

Put simply, its your responsibility.
Recently, the EBT system went down across the country. Basically, people on Food Stamps were being told they either had no balance, or an unlimited balance. Those with unlimited balances took advantage of it, some people even walking out of the stores with multiple carts.
If the EBT system is down, stores should only allow up to $50 in purchases. Some retailers, like Walmart, allowed the charges to go through no matter how high.

So, who's in the wrong? Walmart for allowing the charges to go through, or the people that took advantage of the glitch?

Yes, this is an entirely different scenario, but it holds the same point, people are responsible for their own actions. In the case of battling online, they should always play legitimately and by the rules, it doesn't matter if the Pokemon "looks" legit, its not if its been generated by an outside source. Yeah, Pokemon might only be programming and pixels, but it doesn't mean you should play God and create your own just because you "don't have time," "don't have knowledge," etc.

That's a poor example. In your anecdote you describe real people being ripped off and having their money stolen through abuse of a financial system. People who RNG Pokemon come to a battle with no more advantages than their opponent, they just spent less time getting their Mons
---
Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it.
#19Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:21:07 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
Gotta love how serious video games have become these days.

I miss the 90s sometimes...

Presuming I'm taking this seriously.

Ac3777 posted...
This topic sounds like one of my Philosophy classes I had when I was in college. LOL

I'm in one now; what better way to demonstrate the practicality of my education.
#20tehkapiPosted 11/15/2013 5:26:34 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
tehkapi posted...

Well, in your scenario, both parties knew what they were doing, and harm was done to an outside party. WT hacked Pokemon may indeed harm others; I'm arguing that if someone receives it, is oblivious to the fact, and is appreciative, such a thing is not immoral. It also has a negligible effect on the meta.

It is still immoral, though the receiver would never notice, the act of doing so would still be immoral. It may not harm others NOW, but that doesn't mean it won't in the future.

If you walk up behind someone, take their wallet from their back pocket, and they never realize it, is it still moral? In this case, there was direct harm done, but there was no immediate effect, since the person never realized it. Let's say 2 weeks from now, he needs his credit card to buy something, and now he realizes the wallet is gone.

Let's say a hacked Pokemon is sent through WT, and everything is perfectly fine. Then, when Pokemon Z comes out, the person who got that Pokemon, and trained it to be the best Pokemon possible, tries to trade it over, but the game blocks it because it was hacked.

In my opinion, its immoral no matter what. There may not be an immediate effect, but there may be in the future. (I never really bother with the meta, so I'm not going there...)
---
No, I am not going to run, I am not going to hide, I am going to take a stand and fight!
#TeamChespin FTW!