This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Morality and Pokemon

#21KeeperOfShadowsPosted 11/15/2013 5:26:40 PM
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
KeeperOfShadows posted...
Gotta love how serious video games have become these days.

I miss the 90s sometimes...

Presuming I'm taking this seriously.

Who said I'm talking about you, lol?
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
"Are you angry? Do you hate me?"
#22Doctor_SpankyPosted 11/15/2013 5:29:08 PM
tehkapi posted...
If you walk up behind someone, take their wallet from their back pocket, and they never realize it, is it still moral? In this case, there was direct harm done, but there was no immediate effect, since the person never realized it. Let's say 2 weeks from now, he needs his credit card to buy something, and now he realizes the wallet is gone.

I think for a normal human being it would take less than two weeks to realize their wallet was missing
---
Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it.
#23tehkapiPosted 11/15/2013 5:34:06 PM(edited)
Doctor_Spanky posted...
That's a poor example. In your anecdote you describe real people being ripped off and having their money stolen through abuse of a financial system. People who RNG Pokemon come to a battle with no more advantages than their opponent, they just spent less time getting their Mons

Thanks for making me aware its a poor example, I'm already aware of it.

I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges, in this case, I was trying to point out that you are responsible for your actions. In the case I pointed out, some people are blaming Walmart for having accepted the charges, even though they weren't the ones taking advantage of a glitch.

Yes, they spent less time getting their team together, but we're going back to the old "I don't have enough time" argument. A person that's too busy with school and work probably doesn't have enough time to breed their own Pokemon, but do they really have time to play in ranked matches? I can't answer that, only that individual can.

Doctor_Spanky posted...
I think for a normal human being it would take less than two weeks to realize their wallet was missing

I would honestly hope it doesn't take that long to realize its missing, but this isn't a real situation either, just like Pokemon aren't real creatures.
I forgot that on GameFAQs, you can't use examples to supplement your argument, you just have to hope other people agree with you. I should remember this from the last topic where I pointed out we don't know everything about the games, while the source I was given had unknown data in it. I don't think I was ever told the definition of unknown either... lol
---
No, I am not going to run, I am not going to hide, I am going to take a stand and fight!
#TeamChespin FTW!
#24Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:31:59 PM
Alright, if it does indeed harm others later, I agree that's immoral. Presuming, however, that it doesn't have any detrimental effects, I hold that it is not immoral.

To counter your example: Presuming what I stole from you had no consequence in your life, and you were oblivious to its loss, is that immoral?
#25SMASHKING84Posted 11/15/2013 5:35:48 PM
if people enjoy grinding they shouldn't use super training.
they shouldn't use proteins and the like shouldn't use any short cuts period.
when you do that then you have a right to say your not lazy.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8ceXRcUhc
Final Fantasy VI is the best game ever.
#26Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:40:57 PM(edited)
SMASHKING84 posted...
if people enjoy grinding they shouldn't use super training.
they shouldn't use proteins and the like shouldn't use any short cuts period.
when you do that then you have a right to say your not lazy.

Well, assuming people aren't hypocrites. In other words, they apply universalizability. An ideal, I know, but nobody likes to argue with a hypocrite.
#27tehkapiPosted 11/15/2013 5:46:33 PM(edited)
Omnipotent_Cow posted...
[...] Presuming, however, that it doesn't have any detrimental effects, I hold that it is not immoral.

To counter your example: Presuming what I stole from you had no consequence in your life, and you were oblivious to its loss, is that immoral?

Yes and no.

Morals are dependent on each individual person, what I see as right and wrong, and what you see as right and wrong are two completely different opinions. You're right in that it wouldn't be immoral, but, if it is seen as immoral by a majority of people, then is it truly immoral?

In the case of hacked Pokemon, if a person never realizes it, sure, at least in your eyes, nothing wrong was done, and you move on. However, knowing that what you did is looked down on by the masses, is it still "moral?"

I don't think this is something that can really be argued, since its all based on opinion. The whole problem with the hacking argument in general seems to be selfishness, that is "I don't care what anybody else thinks, if I think its wrong/right, its wrong/right."

EDIT: Also, I want to say you're one of the few people I've had the pleasure of "arguing" with on here. Very often, I get bombarded with arguments mostly consisting of "I'm right because I say so." Its funny how such a touchy subject in a video game can actually make you think about things you do in real life. Thanks for giving my brain a workout! =)
---
No, I am not going to run, I am not going to hide, I am going to take a stand and fight!
#TeamChespin FTW!
#28SMASHKING84Posted 11/15/2013 5:42:31 PM
ChocoboDreams posted...
That all being said, for those who just want to battle with perfect pokemon and don't want to deal with anything else, there still remains the option of using that battle simulator for PC where everybody is on even footing; unless your goal is to use hacked pokemon to get as many wins as possible against other people who you're hoping are not using hacked pokemon.

1.sims don't allow doubles
2.stupid ban lists(better then nintendo's yes but still stupid)
3.the fact is it's MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to find a match in the actual games
smogon and pokemon online do not have MILLIONS of players.

4.you have to own a computer to use it not everyone can afford a computer
5.no friend list
6.finally i have to wait for them to update which could take them weeks to update.
7.smogon has a tier called hackmons meaning they allow wondertomb in it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8ceXRcUhc
Final Fantasy VI is the best game ever.
#29wednesdayfayePosted 11/15/2013 5:45:56 PM
I'm planning on transferring some hacked pokemon to my x, but given that I never fight anyone (I go out of my way to avoid battles, actually; I suck at strategy), I don't really see how my hacked pokemon will affect anyone else o.o
---
FC: 1263-6840-5044 IGN: Jessica, Marowak, Trapinch, Diggersby :)
#30Omnipotent_Cow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2013 5:49:36 PM
wednesdayfaye posted...
I'm planning on transferring some hacked pokemon to my x, but given that I never fight anyone (I go out of my way to avoid battles, actually; I suck at strategy), I don't really see how my hacked pokemon will affect anyone else o.o

It won't. What you have is a self-regarding action (SRA), which in utilitarian terms, can't be immoral. A Kantian may take issue, however (i.e. diligence is its own reward).