This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait wait wait, mega alakazam has better stats than mega gengar?

#1Caolan_2k9Posted 11/19/2013 8:17:08 AM
What's with the extremely popular Mega gengar then? And the uncommon Mega alakazam?
Mega alakazam has has better speed and special attack, which is what Mega gengar is used for. They're both glass canons but alakazam seems to do the job better?
#2ShinyToyPaladinPosted 11/19/2013 8:17:53 AM
Mega Gengar prevents the opponent from switching out.
---
3DS FC: 2492-5002-7721
#3Rayquaza_is_ZPosted 11/19/2013 8:19:37 AM
ShinyToyPaladin posted...
Mega Gengar prevents the opponent from switching out.

Plus, better typing ;)
---
http://i.imgur.com/BBdJiKO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/5MmMfYp.jpg
3DS FC : 1907-8641-1413 IGN : J-Roc -- The official Royal Heir of GameFAQs!
#4MegaMage3003Posted 11/19/2013 8:19:57 AM
Mega-zam still dies when you poke him.
#5TheForevergeloPosted 11/19/2013 8:20:05 AM
I think it is mostly because of the abilities they get
Alakazam gets Trace, which is extremely situational
Gengar gets Shadow Tag, which is very good with something like Perish Song

Also Gengar has a slightly better typing and movepool in my opinion
---
3DS FC: 3797 6318 8175/Playing Pokemon Y/Shiny Value: 3575
IGN: Angelo/Friend Safari: Loudred, Aipom, and Chansey!/ Please no Game Chat!
#6ChaosxxxsoulPosted 11/19/2013 8:22:14 AM
Doesn't matter to me, they both get OHKO by a Mega-Banette shadow sneak.
---
3DS FC: 2191-8804-9619 Name: Math Rock Safari: Pupitar, Dweeble, Barbaricle
Pm to be sure that I added you.
#7SingertonPosted 11/20/2013 7:44:04 PM
Ability:
Shadow Tag is on par with Intimidate, Magic Guard, and Levitate for Top-Tier abilities. These abilities are universally useful on anything that gets them, and provide absolutely no drawbacks.

Trace is a Mid-Tier ability, much like Hustle or No Guard. These are abilities that are generally great, but can be situational, and can even negatively affect the user.

Offense:
Ghost and Poison Stab are also much better offensively than Psychic Stab. Alakazam gets 5BP+ over Gengar, which is completely negligible when we're talking 170+ Sp. Atk stats.

Defense:
Gengar also gets two immunities with which he can use to switch in. Alakazam may be able to switch into SR, but he has no safe switch-ins. When they're both extremely frail, and neither can afford to take even neutral attacks, it helps to have any immunities. Alakazam also has 5BP- under Gengar, but this is again negligible as they both die to unresisted hits.

Synergy:
Mega Gengar has Shadow Tag. This is the ultimate singles synergistic ability. After MegaGengar KO's his opponent, the next one has to come in. Then they can't switch out, leaving the owner of the MegaGengar to switch in whichever counter they want, while having removed the opponent's option to switch.

Speed:
Once you've hit the 130 Mark (AKA: AsFastAsMewtwo), extra speed is almost negligible. Though MegaAlakazam gets the one up on a few Scarfers that could outspeed MegaGengar, no one can safely switch INTO MegaGengar. Revenge Killers also can't switch out of MegaGengar, though he can lock them in for whatever counter he has prepared.

Overall, MegaGengar is better in most ways, despite marginally lower offensive stats.
#8Neo_W_CPosted 11/20/2013 8:00:49 PM
Megazam loses Magic Guard.

Magic Guard allows Alakazam to use a Life Orb without suffering the drawback, which makes it hit roughly as hard as Megazam would, so the biggest cost of Megazam is essentially trading in your mega slot to make Alakazam a bit faster, a trait you won't even see until after the turn on which it mega evolves.
---
SAFARI FRIEND CODE 3067-4778-2482
Ground type: Nincada, Trapinch, Diggersby
#9DemiseEndPosted 11/20/2013 8:01:45 PM
Alakazam Vanilla pretty much have 190 SPA anyway
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it