This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ivs of legendaries?

#1ssjlucarioPosted 11/19/2013 5:57:52 PM
One thing has always bugged me for awhile, and now that I'm getting started into competitive play I wanna know why even though you can't breed legendaries or catch one that has 4-5 max as far as I know you can't get 5 iv pokemon like that unless you breed. Most of the time they have less than 31 and just one or 2 Ivs. So why do people bother to use them if you can't use them at their full potential? Or how they manage to get by fine in battles using crappy iv pokes, even if they are legendaries. Or is that how ubers is?
---
3DS Friend Code: 0061-1007-9470
#2Wild_MantinePosted 11/19/2013 6:08:09 PM(edited)
First of all, you're probably overvaluing IVs. Speed is most important, followed by the relevant attacking stat, and then defenses are a bonus (USUALLY).

A few points in your attacking/defending stats isn't going to normally push the 2HKO into 1HKO and vice versa. That said, the more IVs the better, because those situations will arise when your 31 Def IVs kept you alive; when if you had 16 IVs, you'd be fainted. But ultimately, it doesn't matter, especially if you give proper support.

But really. If you've got Speed and a relevant IV (whether it be defenses or offenses) you may as well consider the job done, unless you have the time to just grind out a few stat points for marginal bonuses. Speed ties are important, and it's the most relevant win/loss condition you'll come across when it comes to perfect IVs.

To answer your actual question though, people use these for two reasons (competitively).

A. They get near perfect IVs. Hitting speed and the appropriate attacking stat, along with a mix of perfect Def/SpDef/HP. So they're just as good to go as anything else.

B. They get relevant IVs. So, they can do the job they need to do. (One Zapdos may have weaker IVs than another poke you have, but can do the job better with still fantastic stats).

Essentially, "full potential," Pokemon don't necessarily win games. It's good play and team composition.
---
Pokemon White FC: 2064 9146 0109
#3PSOGuy25Posted 11/19/2013 6:08:28 PM
can someone explain what IV is? i saw it listed on serebii.net but i dont know what it is supposed to be, i know it is related to hidden abilities, which i have no idea what that is. i did see some of my pokemon have a blue-ish or reddish stat, is that what a hidden ability is?
---
psn: oogabooga26
3ds: Benji / 0146-9206-5462
#4Wild_MantinePosted 11/19/2013 6:15:42 PM
PSOGuy25 posted...
can someone explain what IV is? i saw it listed on serebii.net but i dont know what it is supposed to be, i know it is related to hidden abilities, which i have no idea what that is. i did see some of my pokemon have a blue-ish or reddish stat, is that what a hidden ability is?

Quick break down.

The blueish reddish numbers indicate what stats are going up or down depending on your nature. Your nature will increase and decrease a stats growth respectively.

A hidden ability is an ability that can only be gotten through semi-specific means. They can be caught in hordes, the friend safari, and through other various things. You should ask more specific questions if interested. Do you know what abilities are? It's shown in the Summary of your Pokemon. For instance; A Pikachu has Static as an ability. It's "hidden ability," is Lightningrod, which you must acquire through other means.

And finally, an IV stands for "inherited value." It's a secret number that you can't see (but can vaguely check at the last town of the game with the Battle Maison, in the pokemon center), that essentially acts as a Pokemon's genetics. Some Pokemon will naturally be stronger, more defensive, or faster. This plays a big part in competitive matches because people always try and use the best available things.
---
#5ssjlucario(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 6:25:57 PM
Thanks for clearing my confusion. I'm not over valuing ivs, I'm just forced to believe that they are important. And to a certain extent they are.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0061-1007-9470
#6Gord11111Posted 11/19/2013 6:29:24 PM
Legendaries this gen have 3 IVs guaranteed to be max.
---
-Makin' it Rainbow: Water Gym Leader, Elite Divided-
-3DS FC 2492 4122 0750-
Safari Pokemon: Pumpkaboo/Lampent/Dusclops
#7Wild_MantinePosted 11/19/2013 6:31:10 PM
ssjlucario posted...
Thanks for clearing my confusion. I'm not over valuing ivs, I'm just forced to believe that they are important. And to a certain extent they are.

Yeah don't get me wrong, they are important. It's just important to realize that maybe a 20/5/5/31/5/31 IV Zapdos can pretty much do the same exact job a 31 across the board Zapdos can. He may die sooner than his brother in a few choice scenarios, but ultimately you have to ask yourself, "is it cool if I potentially lose a few matches because I didn't spend countless hours making sure everything was just right?" If the answer is yes (which it usually is for me) just take a decent IV'd poke and call it done. And like I said, proper support can make this even more of a non-issue.
---