This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shiny Values have destroyed shiny trading

#131Kabuto_YPosted 11/20/2013 11:34:09 AM
BadBoiu posted...
Kabuto_Y posted...
For example, in your rose analogy, you fail to realize that people are given rewards based on the highest quality rose. The people who have the most perfect pokemon aren't "winning" anything by that means alone.

I didn't include a "reward" because that wasn't the point. The analogy stands.

And the reason I keep asking how it affects YOU is because in order for cheating to be a bad thing, there must be a victim. In sports, the victim are the opponents that you have an unfair advantage over. In academia, the victim is not only the people who may have failed to score as high, but also yourself for failing to see the purpose of academia in the first place. For any crime, the victim is the person who suffered some form of loss or injury because of it.

You just proved my point. It generates an unfair advantage because you achieved the same ends with no time wasted or effort exerted. There doesn't need to be a winner/loser or even a victim for it to be cheating. The athlete taking steroids you bring up could only be just as strong as everyone else now and not stronger, but it would still make it cheating.

Face it; the only reason to be against hacking is for some made up honor that you abide by, and feel that anyone who doesn't abide by it is somehow beneath it

You make it sound as if being a morally decent human being is a bad thing.

If there's no reward, then your analogy falls apart. What's the purpose of saying it's for a competition, and people violating stated rules for said competition, if there is absolutely nothing to be gained from the competition other than bragging rights?

And I did not prove your point. If every athlete that had ever doped up had only been doing it to "catch up" to other athletes, not only would nobody care, but performance enhancing drugs would never have been brought up as being problematic. The blanket ban, which was then written in the actual rules, was because of the abuse cases where people were using it to outperform the rest of the competition. It also does awful things to your body, so it's better than just saying "You can only use it if you're X weak", as then you're just making things awfully complicated. But with "legal hacking", as it's called, it's never any stronger than the best legit pokemon.

And what part of hacking is immoral? What part of breeding pokemon is moral? People are going to Hell or should be tried in court because they wanted to skip the breeding process? That's how much sense your "morality" makes.
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#132Reno_TarshilPosted 11/20/2013 11:34:57 AM
/popcorn while raising his shiny honedge, noibat, binacle and inkay all obtained thru SV
---
Official Genesect of the Pokemon X Boards!
Mega Scizor in XY! http://www.serebii.net/megasci.jpg FC: 3239-2488-3863
#133Godly_GoofPosted 11/20/2013 11:36:34 AM
BadBoiu posted...
Godly_Goof posted...
Cheating implies getting a benefit over another, being on equal footing is by definition not cheating.

Not true. Achieving what one has gained by illegible means is a benefit over another.

And again, in excess of "legal limits" they don't care about normal confines of the game code. As evident by "legal" hacks bypassing every current hack checker :/

A good cheat doesn't make it not a cheat.

Nope. Not even close

Cheat:

1.act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
"she always cheats at cards"
her out of everything she had"
synonyms: swindle, defraud, deceive, trick, dupe, hoodwink, double-cross, gull; More
informal
be sexually unfaithful.
"his wife was cheating on him"
synonyms: commit adultery, be unfaithful, stray, be untrue, be inconstant, be false; More

See that "advantage" there? That's why your wrong so congrats.

And yeah it kinda does matter, if they are within the confines of the game and "legal" then ya it kind of makes a HUGE difference especially by definition.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#134Golbez-samaPosted 11/20/2013 11:39:15 AM
Since Gen 6 has made it so easy to obtain 5V pokemon, and instacheck, shiny pokes through perfectly valid means...what we are now seeing is a shift in the fandom of those who cannot (and probably were never able) to keep up and those that can. The former trying to comfort themselves with the idea that they are playing "the right way", and that those that use the incredibly simple method of RNG breeding and matching up Shiny Values as being 'cheaters'.
#135RockmanZeroEXEPosted 11/20/2013 11:40:26 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...
What if Nintendo released a patch that changes this, and bans everyone who abused it?

Oh god I would rofl.

And that would work how exactly? "Hey let's ban everyone with a good IVd shiny!"

Dumb***.

They could honestly just increase the shiny value number total to be an ridiculous number such as in the millions, making it even rarer... especially for egg hatching. I'm not saying they'd do it, but it's one method they could do it to "fix the problem" without changing much.
---
"I've just remembered something...He was not as naive as you are. That's what made him a hero." Zero from RMZ
#136Moorish_IdolPosted 11/20/2013 11:41:38 AM
Golbez-sama posted...
Since Gen 6 has made it so easy to obtain 5V pokemon, and instacheck, shiny pokes through perfectly valid means...what we are now seeing is a shift in the fandom of those who cannot (and probably were never able) to keep up and those that can. The former trying to comfort themselves with the idea that they are playing "the right way", and that those that use the incredibly simple method of RNG breeding and matching up Shiny Values as being 'cheaters'.

Yes. As we should.

People who play games as intended are inherently superior.
#137HozuPosted 11/20/2013 11:42:37 AM
To quote the creator of Instacheck: "Your tears are delicious".
---
http://i.imgur.com/qCo47.png http://i.imgur.com/Q7Q8S.png
http://tinyurl.com/HozuRNGdEvents - because events have no value http://tinyurl.com/HozuDWF
#138BadBoiuPosted 11/20/2013 11:43:33 AM
Kabuto_Y posted...
If there's no reward, then your analogy falls apart. What's the purpose of saying it's for a competition, and people violating stated rules for said competition, if there is absolutely nothing to be gained from the competition other than bragging rights?

Because it doesn't matter if there's a reward or not. The entire point is that despite all the effort and time one has put in to something another can just use an illegal means to achieve the same goal. If you want to keep fixated on the reward and not the point I was making then just assume the roses tied.

And I did not prove your point. If every athlete that had ever doped up had only been doing it to "catch up" to other athletes, not only would nobody care, but performance enhancing drugs would never have been brought up as being problematic.

Say that was the case, would it be wrong?

And what part of hacking is immoral? What part of breeding pokemon is moral? People are going to Hell or should be tried in court because they wanted to skip the breeding process? That's how much sense your "morality" makes.

Don't get all jumpy now. I didn't mean it as so broad a term, only to make a distinction of right and wrong.
---
"Vick will be the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards & rush for 1,000 in one season!"-Sean Salisbury *MLG is an oxymoron*
#139RockmanZeroEXEPosted 11/20/2013 11:45:17 AM
Reno_Tarshil posted...
/popcorn while raising his shiny honedge, noibat, binacle and inkay all obtained thru SV

IMO, the only thing worth it was the shiny honedge :P.
---
"I've just remembered something...He was not as naive as you are. That's what made him a hero." Zero from RMZ
#140BadBoiuPosted 11/20/2013 11:51:08 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
Nope. Not even close

Cheat:

1.act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
"she always cheats at cards"
her out of everything she had"
synonyms: swindle, defraud, deceive, trick, dupe, hoodwink, double-cross, gull; More
informal
be sexually unfaithful.
"his wife was cheating on him"
synonyms: commit adultery, be unfaithful, stray, be untrue, be inconstant, be false; More

See that "advantage" there? That's why your wrong so congrats.

What part of the definition are you having trouble with? The advantage gained is that you achieved the same result with minimal to no effort through an uncondoned means.

And yeah it kinda does matter, if they are within the confines of the game and "legal" then ya it kind of makes a HUGE difference especially by definition.

Just because you can cheat the system doesn't mean that you didn't cheat the system. Are we really doing this right now?
---
"Vick will be the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards & rush for 1,000 in one season!"-Sean Salisbury *MLG is an oxymoron*