This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Favourite/Least Favorite Gen - What and Why?

#11Sega9599Posted 11/23/2013 3:07:25 AM
ShadowMaster684 posted...
I liked Gen 1 just fine at the time, but compared to what we have now, the best I could say is that it's an unplayable relic.

Soothesayer posted...

Gen 1...okay yes it's the original. yes it's nostalgic. But that does not save it from the fact that the games themselves are a mess.

Even the FR-LG remakes? How can you dislike those?

kittycatcorn posted...

Least Favourite would be Gen IIII.

Ah, Roman Numerals dictate that would be Gen IV mon amie.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#12ElSilverWindPosted 11/23/2013 3:31:57 AM
Let's see . . . I like them all! However there are certainly some I like more than others. It's hard to find a pokemon game I don't love. :D

In order. 6>4>5>1>3>2

6 is the newest and made a big leap forward for the series, so it's only natural that I would love it the most currently.
4 introduced global trade and was really the first time I was able to trade for all the pokemon I wanted. The DS's wifi made it a million times easier for me to trade and battle my friends and the region (in Platinum) was wide and varied, and had a ton of cool and fun pokemon. I also enjoyed how GameFreak went back and gave a lot of older pokemon some much needed power and evolutions. It was also the first time I noticed the competitive scene and opened up a whole new world of pokemon battling depth for me! (I also count HG and SS as gen4 games)
Gen5: I liked how they focused on the story more this game. I think it had the most memorable characters in the pokemon world. Also I feel that they did the cover legendaries right. (Either encountered in story and obtained post-game, or obtained right before the final battle)
Gen1: Nostalgia
Gen3: it was a fun region with some of the best legendaries in series. However the pokemon selection was hit or miss for me. A lot of the pokemon were really weak and gimmicky (castform, mawile, nose pass, kecleon, luvdisc). I love them, but using a lot of them competitively was just not worth it.
2: Not bad, but not enough Nostalgia to let me overlook it's shortcomings. The poor distribution of Gen 2 pokemon, the emptiness of Kanto, AND THE ENTIRE CAVE SYSTEM DEVOTED TO THE SINGLE MOST USELESS POKEMON IN THE ENTIRE SERIES!!! (Unown)
#13metroxilPosted 11/23/2013 3:44:50 AM
Gen III was my favorite because I like the tropical design it had. Every town had it's own unique design which I liked(Fortree FTW). Most of my favorite pokemon came from that region like Gardevoir(#1) Blaziken, Swampert and Mawile. Unlike most people I really enjoyed the surfing(it was still fast paced and not boring). The evil teams were a real fun to battle, they really made it clear what they wanted and you had the urge to want to stop them immediately. And I was the only region where you at least knew you had a father and he was a GYMLEADER who you had to fight. How awesome was that???

Well my least favorite is still gen IV for good reasons. The region was bland and boring to go through and very slow paced. I didn't like most of the pokemon there. Excluding Piplup line, Starly line, Lucario, Roserade, Mismaguis and Cherrim for some reason. The rest was garbage
especially Infernape and Gallade wasn't needed. Evil team sucked ass, they had a stupid goal, they looked stupid. Their boss made up for it but still. It's the only game where I just stop halve way and quit.
Cynthia was the only thing that saved that gen from really sucking and HG/SS.

Well in order 3>5>1(cause Jolteon)=2>4
I haven't played X and Y yet
---
Gallade never liked him, NEVER will
#14KillerMechanoidPosted 11/23/2013 4:08:13 AM
6>5>2>=3>4 = 1

Reason why 2>=3 is because I liked both equally, but 3 had ****ing zigzagoon all over the goddamn place in R/S.
#15kittycatcorn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 4:18:46 AM
Sega9599 posted...
ShadowMaster684 posted...
I liked Gen 1 just fine at the time, but compared to what we have now, the best I could say is that it's an unplayable relic.

Soothesayer posted...

Gen 1...okay yes it's the original. yes it's nostalgic. But that does not save it from the fact that the games themselves are a mess.

Even the FR-LG remakes? How can you dislike those?

kittycatcorn posted...

Least Favourite would be Gen IIII.

Ah, Roman Numerals dictate that would be Gen IV mon amie.

Yeah, I noticed that to late and couldn't be bothered to fix it. I figured people would know what I meant :"D
I make that mistake all the time for no apparent reason umu I know its IV, I just consistently...Forget it's IV.
---
Friend Code: 4398-9274-6043
#16Prophet_of_ZealPosted 11/23/2013 4:22:35 AM
Favorite: Generation IV.
Least Favorite: Generation V.

In order: 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > 5.

I would include the 6th Generation, but I'm most likely not going to obtain Poke'mon X until closer to Christmas. What I have seen of it, and played due to a friend, it looks good.

I've been into the games since the beginning, back when Red and Blue first came to America's shores. I have a lot of fond memories of those games, and I have to say, Poke'mon has stayed with me longer than some people. It's an interesting realization, but I digress...

Generation IV brought me back into the series. I stopped midway into Gold, skipped the 3rd Generation (though have since gone back and played them via emulators), and picked up Diamond a little while after its release. Generation IV had some of my favorite designs, starters, and the region, though annoying at times be it due to needing a HM Slave or running through the central mountain in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, it had a diverse world. I really enjoyed the different areas and weather effects, as well as the evil team, who pretty much wanted to destroy the world and recreate it in their own "perfect" image. Pretty deep stuff, at least to me, and definitely a step up from petty thievery or eco-terrorism. This is also the Generation that introduced me to competitive battling - real competitive battling, not casual throw downs with friends. It made me appreciate Poke'mon I never would have, and to actually look at a Poke'mon's potential. For example, Jynx was never a Poke'mon I really liked or used, but now I realize it was a lot better than some of the ones I did use.

Generation V, while not flat out terrible, didn't draw me in. Maybe it was the fact Generation IV caught me up to speed. Regardless, the story was the strongest point of this game to me, and everything else was just okay. Exceptions do exist, like Chandelure, it is an awesome-looking Poke'mon. It is better than Generation I if we compare game mechanics, but Generation I has the claim of being the foundation for the entire franchise. Also, sometimes, I miss when Special Attack and Special Defense were one and the same. In the regard of playability, Generation V is better, but Generation I has a certain charm to it. Maybe it's the chiming sound of the GameBoy, or the fact I can upload my Poke'mon to Poke'mon Stadium, the childhood memories, whatever it is, it definitely reminds me of an old friend that, despite not being as hip or cool as the others, it is the most reliable and secure to me, if that makes any sense.

Generation II and III are, to me, great games. Generation II polished everything from Generation I, and did it's best to balance the game. I remember when Psychics dominated Generation I. It was obvious a better counter than Bug was needed. Generation II did this, and added the ability to breed. Generation III added Abilities, and some interesting additions to the series. In fact, some of my favorite Poke'mon come from Generation III, like Ludicolo, Swampert, and Flygon. The soundtrack does feel a little out of place, but you can get accustomed to it. Still, Generation II was when I left Poke'mon for a while, so it obviously didn't have that "magic" that Generation I did to me, though I did enjoy HeartGold. Generation III, while a decent game, was going to upset a lot of people due to the change of location, the game mechanics, and, of course, the musical experimentation.
---
"Welcome to the Next Level."
#17kittycatcorn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 4:26:14 AM
Forgot to mention!

I really disliked how Gen 4 had so many boggy/snowy places. I found the boggy places to be ugly, and it bothered me when I was walking so, SO slowly thanks to sinking in mud/snow or just deep mud/snow in general, especially if I wanted to get to a Lake or the Glaceon Rock - Places I couldn't fly to that made me walk through deep snow or mud so it took longer than it needed to.
---
Friend Code: 4398-9274-6043
#18jimmyjones69Posted 11/23/2013 4:39:43 AM(edited)
Favorite Gen? Easy! Gen II. My brother had a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Silver that he was playing. At some point he got bored and handed it to me. I was already obsessed with Pokemon Red so I dived right into Silver. I told my brother I wouldn't delete his save file and I kept his nicknamed starter. He wasn't too far in and I would have felt bad deleting the mons that he had. I instantly fell in love with the game.

Doing the Bug Catching contest for the first time blew my mind. I would always look forward to it and I tried my best to get the first prize. Somehow someone would always beat me by a few points. It didn't stop me from trying tho lol. I spent so many hours doing almost anything I could in Silver. In fact it was the only game that I fully completed the Pokedex on.

Oh and I spent days in Ilex Forest trying to get a Celebi. Yeah that worked out reallll well just like the truck in Red/Blue...

Least Favorite Gen? It would have to be Gen IV. Don't get me wrong I love all the Pokemon games but Gen IV just never appealed to me all that much. I still played for several hours but I just didn't feel the connection I had like I did when I played Pokemon Silver. I was very happy when the remakes for Silver/Gold came out. Those games were awesome!
---
3DS FC: 3437-4053-9330 Grass safari with: Sunkern, Petilil and Gogoat.
It's not the great who are strong. It's the strong who are great.