This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's Make A Pokemon Useful Part 1: Sandslash

#1BadDecisionsPosted 11/25/2013 9:09:42 AM
How would you make Sandslash good? - Results (99 votes)
Adjustment, as outlined below.
21.21% (21 votes)
Different adjustment.
1.01% (1 votes)
Evolve that guy.
47.47% (47 votes)
Mega, man!
17.17% (17 votes)
Sandslash is working as intended. No buffs needed.
13.13% (13 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm gonna make Sandslash gooooooood. Please also write in your suggestions.
We'll send 'em to Nintendo and they'll hotfix him for sure!

Adjustment:
-Base stats increased from 75/100/110/45/55/65 to 90/120/125/45/85/80.
-Add Spikes/Night Slash/Rock Polish/Cross Poison to his learnpool.
-Add Spiky Shield/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off/Bulk Up to his Egg Moves.
-New signature move "Molt Guard", specialized Protect that drops a layer of Spikes when hit.
-Take away Sand Veil, add Shed Skin and Thick Fat as normal abilities.

What's the difference?
Base stats increased to usable levels while remaining true to the original distribution.
Can actually take hits now, and then return hits that actually do some kind of damage.
Speed is still subpar, but now an actual option with Rock Polish or in Sand w/HA.
Slightly more variety and coverage with Cross Poison, even if it isn't great coverage. Thematically fits with the slashing and the early learning of Poison Sting.
Shed Skin allows it to keep on truckin' after a burn, and, again, I feel it thematically fits him. He can toss the spikes off his back, y'know?
Thick Fat lets you switch in on Heatran/anyone using a fire move and laugh about it. Ha ha ha! Also takes away 1/3 of your weaknesses. Kind of a bulky guy with a hide he could curl up in, I can see this being thematically relevant as well.
Spiky Shield for injuring foes, Molt Guard for setting up Spikes and tanking.

I feel like with these changes, not only would Sandslash have an option to succeed on a team, he'd have more than one. More than one viable build, more than one potential use.
Whaddaya think, guys?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLJJDRA-jQ
Rate and subscribe. Very good best videos all the day!
#2BadDecisions(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2013 10:56:30 AM
Man, nobody wants to talk about Sandslash with me.
---
#3adismaltheftPosted 11/25/2013 10:57:16 AM
I vote Mega Form. It rolls up into a ball with bigger spikes surrounding the whole thing.
---
If I had a million dollars... I'd be rich.
Gamertag: Icecold229
#4TheCoolzPosted 11/25/2013 11:00:49 AM
+95 base stats for adjustment is broken.

Either evolve it or give it +100 stats with a mega evo.
---
http://www.playdota.com/img/art/75645/fanart/f1323969016.jpg
Crystal Maiden Fan Club
#5SorrowOfAcheronPosted 11/25/2013 11:02:38 AM
Evolve it.
No Mega.
---
GamerTag: SorrowOfAcheron
Roy (Awakening DLC appearance & unique moveset) and Matthew & Sveta (Golden Sun) for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS
#6Devil_Killer_JCPosted 11/25/2013 11:08:51 AM
SorrowOfAcheron posted...
Evolve it.
No Mega.

^This. I always felt that it was a first evolution, especially with its stats and look. Having one more evolution would make it pretty good.
---
PSN: Devil_Killer_JCS, Nintendo ID: Devil_JCS
biohazardmercenaries.com
#7JayboemanPosted 11/25/2013 11:27:36 AM
I like your adjustments especially the new ability, but I think if they just give Sandypoos another evolutionary stage it would sort it out and become awesome.
#8BadDecisions(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 8:26:18 AM
I vote Mega Form. It rolls up into a ball with bigger spikes surrounding the whole thing.

Whirlipede style?
Because having a spinny spikeball as a final guy would actually be decently cool. Wouldn't be the way I'd go with it, but it'd be pretty cool.

+95 base stats for adjustment is broken. give it +100 stats with a mega evo.

I base brokeness on the end result, y'know, and even with the +95, I'm seeing a Pokemon that has a tough time competing for a spot on your team against Garchomp and Excadrill and all of the other physical monsters. Take away the held item, and it goes straight back to being unusable. A mega is the one thing I can't really see as a solution to fixing Sandslash. Maybe I did aim a little high, though. Could probably shave 5 off of Attack, Defense, and Speed and end up with roughly the same effectiveness with only +80.

Either evolve it or

That could work, though.

Evolve it.
I always felt that it was a first evolution, especially with its stats and look.
but I think if they just give Sandypoos another evolutionary stage it would sort it out and become awesome.

Righto, I'll try. I'll evolve him. Let's see what I can come up with.

Sandspite (reallllly wanted to stick with an SS name and this was the best I could do for my concept within 10 seconds.)
-Type changed to Ground/Dark. (Unique typing!)
-Base stats increased from 75/100/110/45/55/65 to 90/115/115/45/100/100.
-Add Spikes/Night Slash/Pursuit/Hone Claws/Rock Polish/Cross Poison to his learnpool.
-Add Spiky Shield/Sucker Punch/Knock Off/Bulk Up to his Egg Moves.
-New signature move "Molt Guard", specialized Protect that drops a layer of Spikes when hit.
-Take away Sand Veil, add Shed Skin and Thick Fat as normal abilities.

What's the difference?
Double the STAB!
Can take and return big hits.
Speed is actually pretty good and can be boosted to incredible levels with Rock Polish/HA in Sand.
The rest of this is basically the same as the Adjustment, as far as the Pros go. Extra con is weakness to Fighting/Bug, two common types and weakness to Fairy.

As far as appearance goes, I'm imagining slightly taller but proportionally wider, the three spikes on its head becoming longer and more horn-like (but still not full on horns), the foot claws getting longer and more violent (along with a third added to the back, like a bird's talon), a third claw being added to the hands, and maybe a few of the back spikes wrapping across the chest as armor (but very natural looking.)
---
#9Megaman OmegaPosted 11/26/2013 8:36:55 AM(edited)
BadDecisions posted...
-Type changed to Ground/Dark. (Unique typing!)

Krookodile is sad.

BadDecisions posted...

Well, that would be a bit overpowered. It would use Molt Guard turn 1, the SR turn 2, then Molt Guard turn 3, then keeps on fighting with its pseudo legendary style stats (decent atk and spd while still having considerable bulk for a sweeper) while having put down a heavy amount of entry hazards for free.

Other than that, your concept is great.
---
LOL at all the whiners and trolls. They know Vita tv and new model will kill all competition. Festering wounds for the Nintendrones by the gallons. - karissa1
#10BadDecisions(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 8:39:32 AM
Krookodile is sad.

Man, he I don't even know how I forgot about that guy. His nose is... pretty memorable.
I was thinking Ground/Poison, but I didn't want to step on Nidoking's toes.

Well, that would be a bit overpowered. It would use Molt Guard turn 1, the SR turn 2, then Molt Guard turn 3.

Yes and no. I'm imagining it like Chesnaught's or Swordino's. Gotta make direct contact for it to have effect, like you're knockin' the spikes off. You could easily like... Sword's Dance when you know he's about to Molt Guard, or just not use a direct contact move. It'd be insane against people that don't know how to handle it, but you'd have to be smart about it against better players. Sandslash also doesn't have SR in this Gen yet, and depending on how transferring and then breeding works, it may never be available to new Sandslashes.

Other than that, your concept is great.

Dawg, thanks.
---