This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is Pursuit better than Crunch on a Jolly Tyranitar?

#11WallydraiglePosted 11/27/2013 11:07:52 PM
If the other guy switches out and ttar used Pursuit then they still take damage.
---
FC: 1091-8436-2422 munna espurr gothorita
#12EnvoyofunoII(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 11:09:55 PM
But let's say they don't switch out with Gengar and you use Pursuit. In that case, it would be way better to use Crunch. Assuming you DD and are faster than Gengar anyway, why is this situation move better than one that's not? Do you get what I'm saying kinda?
---
Pokemon Y 3DS Friend Code: 3196-3840-9285
#13SuperSonicDBZPosted 11/27/2013 11:10:21 PM
EnvoyofunoII posted...
I still have no idea why this is better than Crunch after these responses. It seems like it would just do the damage Crunch normally does in a good situation.

People are saying you can switch out of Crunch, but not a Pursuit. So it's that choice.

Get the base damage of Crunch, or hit Pokemon switching out on you with the Pursuit. Though it's up to you, competitive players would like Pursuit over Crunch for the strategical advantage and all the switching that happens in Smogon & Pokemon Online rules. If you're playing by VGC rules, Crunch maybe a bit stronger due to less switching.
---
Donnel is my # 1 bro. We fist bump, slay some risen, eat some chicken strips, bomb the Valmese and steal sugar from Gaius on a daily basis. Like a Boss. FE:A
#14neonplanetsPosted 11/27/2013 11:13:30 PM
EnvoyofunoII posted...
But let's say they don't switch out with Gengar and you use Pursuit. In that case, it would be way better to use Crunch. Assuming you DD and are faster than Gengar anyway, why is this situation move better than one that's not? Do you get what I'm saying kinda?

Gengar is as bulky as wet tissue paper. It will probably die anyway.
#15mohammed199999Posted 11/27/2013 11:15:12 PM
EnvoyofunoII posted...

in said situation, pursuit should also score a clean K.O weather they switch or not. crunch may not depending on their switch. the point is to effectively eliminate certain types of pokemon from the game so your team as a whole won't have to deal with them later. if tyranatar got killed by the switched in pokemon from crunch, then you lost the K.O you could have gotten from pursuit.
---
3DS friend code 3539-8997-2521
#16MogKnightAzurePosted 11/27/2013 11:19:10 PM
Tyranitar is very specially bulky.. and in fact achieves beyond Blissey's level of special bulk with an assault vest on. Coupled with its dark type and pursuit. It can be very effective in stopping psychics and ghosts dead.
---
3DS FC: 2423-3095-6556
#17TheEvilCubiPosted 11/28/2013 12:07:11 AM
Pursuit is one of a kind but its super overrated.

If Pursuit works it has a decent 80 power. If it gets predicted it has a pitiful 40 power. Its main power is in killing the Pokemon switching.

Meanwhile Crunch will always have 80 power and a lot of times it will put a dent in to the one switching in. Very situational. Unless they switch in a type Dark hits for NVE or some other niche situations I would Crunch.

I remember back in RSE when it was special I would just Calm Mind my Alakazam and easily survive it from Houndoom. Every idiot tried pursuit.
---
CAPS LOCK MARCH
#18DemiseEndPosted 11/28/2013 12:09:07 AM
There's a big problem on a core logical level if you used Pursuit with Dragon Dance

Pursuit are used in Ttar that is specialized at trapping stuff, which is basically Scarf Tar, some Band Tar, and some supportar
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#19Reginleif20Posted 11/28/2013 12:21:46 AM
EnvoyofunoII posted...
Pursuit would just do the damage Crunch does in a situational circumstance, while doing half of the damage most of the time? Just beginning to try competitive and I don't understand this. Even if it does do more % wise when taking in consideration 40 + STAB x 2 is better than 80 + STAB (if that's how it works), how is that risking the chance of them not switching out?

I just got a 4IV Jolly Larvitar with Stealth Rock, Pursuit, and Dragon Dance egg moves and I don't understand why someone would go out of their way to put Pursuit on it. Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

Different moves, different uses. Crunch is simply a power move. Pursuit will either trap and kill frail Psychics and Ghosts or put a dent on the bulky ones
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#20Neo_W_CPosted 11/28/2013 12:22:05 AM
TheEvilCubi posted...

I remember back in RSE when it was special I would just Calm Mind my Alakazam and easily survive it from Houndoom. Every idiot tried pursuit.

That was back when Dark moves were all Special. It's a physical move now and most of the pokemon weak to it have crap physical defenses.
---
SAFARI FRIEND CODE 3067-4778-2482
Ground type: Nincada, Trapinch, Diggersby