This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow - New to Pokemon: My Brain Hurts!

#1OrleanKnightPosted 11/30/2013 1:37:40 AM
One thing you should know about me is that I love RPGs, but this day and age all the best ones seem to be on the Nintendo 3DS. So this past Monday I picked up on a Zelda 3DSXL and today I picked up Poke'mon Y.

I'm not asking for help or anything, I'm just providing my reaction. I commonly do a lot of research on the games I'm getting into, but when it comes to Poke'mon I have to admit this is some pretty overwhelming stuff! This is my first Poke'mon game (ever) and I'm giving myself a crash course in IVs, EVs, Natures, Types, etc.. just what have I gotten myself in to here?

Well looks to me that there are also hundreds of Poke'mon and putting together a team is like building a deck of cards in Magic the Gathering, it takes time, patience, and a lot of trail an error. So far I've ran into spreadsheets, calculators, charts, instructional videos and more -- I barely even played the game itself, maybe like 1 hour of actual gameplay. I've spent my entire evening wrapping my head around the "Meta" within Poke'mon -- that's why my brain hurts!

To me, this all feels like some sort of MMORPG; the monthly subscription for which begins in December (Pokebank). I'm not eager to get into any fights, clearly I have to spend a lot of time just feeling the game out first before finding those exotic creatures that tickle my fancy.

Anyway, I really am curious. This seems to be a hugely popular game. What are some of the best communities for beginners? Like say an intelligent forum/board/website that takes the game seriously yet still embraces "noobs" to the fold?
---
Japanese PSN: OrleanKnight-JPN
WKC2: Name: I r o n W o l f -- Level: 20 GR: 6
#2omgitsjustmePosted 11/30/2013 1:39:17 AM
Every forum is like this. Just ignore the evs, and you'll be fine

They made it a lot easier to understand evs though. I remember taking two months to learn about all these in gen 3
---
3DS: 5215-0643-4172
Ground safari: Camerupt, Phanpy, Diggersby
#3omgitsjustmePosted 11/30/2013 1:40:23 AM
Avoid Smogon though. They'll make you go crazy
---
3DS: 5215-0643-4172
Ground safari: Camerupt, Phanpy, Diggersby
#4legendriderPosted 11/30/2013 1:40:37 AM
Ignore all the technicalities such as breeding EV's and IV's and just enjoy the game.
Then when you've got the gist of things, you can ask about them if you want.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#5CaptainRandom1Posted 11/30/2013 1:40:50 AM
Just play the game all the way through, and then worry about the complicated stuff. The competitive side of things gets much more manageable post-Elite 4.
---
3DS FC 4253-3597-1691
http://i.imgur.com/R9wiC6E.jpg
#6XavuuPosted 11/30/2013 1:41:44 AM
This place is fine. One of the better places on the internet. Just don't try to convince anyone that a certain pokemon is good/bad.
---
STAB Quick Attack. Staraptor.
#7Xenesis XenonPosted 11/30/2013 1:41:55 AM
Yeah, first time playing through the game - ignore the technical stuff. Just enjoy the game, learn it and how it works naturally.

Trying to immerse yourself in all the technical stuff (of which Pokemon is extraordinarily complicated) is maddening.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#8john151bacardiPosted 11/30/2013 1:43:51 AM
an intelligent forum/board/website that takes the game seriously yet still embraces "noobs" to the fold?

You in the wrong board bruh!
---
http://i.imgur.com/NolCGBc.gif "Only hall of fame I'll be inducted in is the Alcohol of Fame on the Wall of Shame!"
#9KhemikooliganPosted 11/30/2013 1:44:09 AM
OrleanKnight posted...
To me, this all feels like some sort of MMORPG; the monthly subscription for which begins in December (Pokebank).

You don't necessarily need pokebank if you only own Pokemon Y, you would only "need" it if you ran out of storage in game and you refused to get rid of pokemon to free up space (which probably wont happen). Even then I'm pretty sure the fee is annual and not monthly
---
3DS FC: 0361-7041-1914
#10lambchipsPosted 11/30/2013 1:48:18 AM(edited)
Honestly dont bother with IV's and EV's... read alittle into nature but dont bother with the maths

heres a rough idea on the ;ayer of depth in pokemon
1. typing (grass> water> fire) most people will learn this through story mode
2. Nature, this need slightly more researching
3. Characteristics (most people skip this)
3. EV's
4. IV's (mainly for breeders)
5. egg moves
6. Shiny values
7. Hidden power Value
^ Hidden power values takes the longest and the majoirty of pokemons dont even need it this gen

heres what I would recommend any new players to do
1. beat story mode
2. do battle maison (its basically a gauntlet, where you fight waves and waves of AI trainers)
3. do more battle maison while learning from your mistakes (will take 100+ hours for any new players, I remembered spending weeks in battle tower back in gen 3)
4. get into the competitive side (IV's EV's, breeding etc)

---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green