This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EV Training and Reset Bag

#1PlatinumBDPosted 12/1/2013 9:30:23 AM
So I'm a bit rusty toward this or Pokemon games in general, haven't played one since SoulSilver and HeartGold. The big reason, EV Training. I can't find motivation to train Pokemon throughout the entire game, knowing they're collecting all the wrong EV's along the way, and then totally disregard them and raise new pokemon just to put a competitve team together. After watching a friend of mine play his Pokemon Y, I saw the new EV menu and he didn't even know what EV's were. That encouraged me to get this game.

Apparently you still gain EV's from specific pokemon, but I'm also aware of this new punching bag system. Love the idea of easily training EV's once I unlock all the punching bags. Makes things simpler and less tedious, in my opinion.

So, simply put, at the beginning of the game, if I choose the water type starter (or whomever is best tier for online battles, excluding fire type), and then Charmander (I want X Evolution Charizard), and beat the game with them and other pokemon of my choice, do I have the option to reset all the useless EV's they picked up and start completely over?

For example, say when I beat the pokemon league, my starter and charizard are levels 65-70. Do I have the option to completely erase every EV they've ever gained and start with 510 total EV slots again? Putting 255 in the two stats of my choosing? (At least that's how I normally do it, others may split them differently). Or is that impossible? I'm under the impression that this "Reset Bag" completely wipes out all earned EV's, allowing you to start fresh.

If that is true, I'm sold on this game. That's amazing, and saves a ton of time, where in the past I've spent entire days EV Trainings.

I'm a busy guy now, I'm in college, I'm involved on campus, I'm in a frat, I even work during breaks usually. I'd like to be able to EV Train without hunting specific Pokemon. Just trying to capture some childhood nostalgia. :)

They say this game is for kids, but with how complex this **** is, I beg to differ. Haha.

Thanks guys. :)
---
PSN ID: BonafydeSkillz / Platinum Trophy Count: ( 6 )
Currently Playing- GTA V
#2AgressiveSmurfPosted 12/1/2013 9:35:13 AM
Actually, 'your' method of putting 252 EVs is easy enough now with Horde Battle EV training. Read the sticky. All it takes is one of the power items and then like ten minutes for each stat.

I'm not kidding.

But, the Reset bag will 'reset' your EVs, yes.
---
Friend Code: 0301-9809-9279
Send me a PM with yours! 8D My friend safari is Flying-Type, with Pidgey, Hawlucha, and Swanna.
#3ab199990Posted 12/1/2013 9:35:49 AM
You're correct. The reset bag removes any and all EVs. But getting it can be a bit of a pain since they're kinda rare. (You have to keep punching the regular bag till you get it. Make sure the pokemon punching has a smiley face).

And trust me, I was on the same boat as you (saying Super Training is way better than regular EV training, but that's not the case for this game. If you train with horde battles (along with Pokerus and Macho Brace/Power Items), you can max out your EVs in 10 minutes. Here's a guide:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-ev-training-with-hordes.3490052/
---
3DS FC (Pokemon X): 0576-4648-2712
Steel: Magneton, Skarmory, Klefki
#4iamBGSPosted 12/1/2013 9:36:13 AM
The punching bags are one-use so keep that in mind. You get more by doing the other mini-game where you launch soccer balls at balloons. That said, a Reset Bag or other EV-resetting item will completely zero all EVs gained on that Pokemon, letting you start with the full 510 available.

The max in a stat is now 252 rather than 255. I would assume they changed it that way because only every 4th point is meaningful. The overall cap is still 510 so there will always be 2 points that can never be meaningful outside of having "a fully trained Pokemon."

Unless you are extremely lucky and roll high IVs (personal stats) on your starter and other in-game Pokemon, you aren't going to want to reset and use those for "real" battles anyway. You'll want to breed them for better stats and potentially egg moves, and then train the new ones rather than do-over the old ones.
---
0688 5336 2575 Pidgey, Swanna, Rufflet, SV 4039, PM me if you add please
Add me *before* contacting...don't have space to waste on provisional adds
#5Twilite_shardsPosted 12/1/2013 9:36:24 AM
In a nutshell, yes. Though I'm pretty sure resetting the EVs doesn't change how they affected their stats during growth.
---
---
"Uhhhhhh, whatthehell?" "Body massage. :|"
#6imitebjoePosted 12/1/2013 9:37:49 AM
Yes, Reset bags do delete all the EVs your pokemon has picked up during its lifetime, and the new EV cap is 252 (so you will not end up wasting any)

but it is prolly better to not ev train the pokemon you get in game but those you get from breeding, they'll most likely have natures you want as well as IVs if you choose to breed that far
---
Teo - 2466-1772-9333, Dunsparce-Minccino-Chansey
PM me for an add I tend to leave boards
#7PlatinumBD(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 11:36:37 AM
imitebjoe posted...
Yes, Reset bags do delete all the EVs your pokemon has picked up during its lifetime, and the new EV cap is 252 (so you will not end up wasting any)

but it is prolly better to not ev train the pokemon you get in game but those you get from breeding, they'll most likely have natures you want as well as IVs if you choose to breed that far

I'm one of those guys that doesn't mind resetting the game until the starter I want randomly selects the nature that I need for the base stat I want to improve the most. I'll make it happen, I really am not a fan of tossing these pokemon aside once I beat the game. I see it as wasted effort, you know?

I appriciate the feedback guys. I look forward to trading with and battling you guys in the future. I'm buying this game sometime this week or next, so see you all around!
---
Currently Playing- GTA V
#8PlatinumBD(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 9:51:04 PM
Final Question if anyone can answer.

Say I have a level 50 Pokemon, and wish to reset his EV's at this point in time. By the time I reach Level 100, if I put 252 EV's in his Attack and Speed, will those stats reach their full potential?

For example, take the scenario above. Give this pokemon a nature that increases the attack stat, and 252 EV's, allowing this pokemon's attack stat to a max of say, 410. Even though I reset the EV's and applied the new ones late, will this stat still reach it's full potential at 410?

Thanks again, final question.
---
Currently Playing- GTA V