This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which Froakie should I train?

#21KeldonisPosted 12/5/2013 1:42:05 PM(edited)
Oh, and your moveset on that Greninja should be.

Nicknamed (Shadow/we)
252SpA/252 Spe
LO

Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro (you said you'd rather not run Hydro, take Surf for the Accuracy)
Grass Knot/U-turn/Spikes/Coverage

U-turn is nice, but doesn't benefit with Timid all too much since you're somewhat hindering it by nature (Hasty would've been better). Spikes can change it to Ground, which is extremely useful for predicted Volt Switches/Electric attacks. However, Greninja is really pretty frail to utilize hazards effectively.

Grass Knot is another option for the bulky Waters, but I'm not really a fan because its damage relies on weight. Rotom-W weighs about nothing and results in a STAB base power 20 lolGrass move).
---
3DS FC: 1977-1571-8378 IGN Heisenberg TSV: 2336
#22AuraWielder(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 2:24:47 PM
Keldonis posted...
Oh, and your moveset on that Greninja should be.

Nicknamed (Shadow/we)
252SpA/252 Spe
LO

Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro (you said you'd rather not run Hydro, take Surf for the Accuracy)
Grass Knot/U-turn/Spikes/Coverage

U-turn is nice, but doesn't benefit with Timid all too much since you're somewhat hindering it by nature (Hasty would've been better). Spikes can change it to Ground, which is extremely useful for predicted Volt Switches/Electric attacks. However, Greninja is really pretty frail to utilize hazards effectively.

Grass Knot is another option for the bulky Waters, but I'm not really a fan because its damage relies on weight. Rotom-W weighs about nothing and results in a STAB base power 20 lolGrass move).

Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, and Surf are the three that absolutely will be on Greninja. Also, I'm leaning towards nicknaming him Zael from "The Last Story" for a more unique name now.
I wanted Timid because I wasn't planning to use U-turn on him. I'm not so sure about Spikes, given that it takes 3 turns to properly set up. I was just planning to use a fourth coverage move. Maybe Grass Knot. My best thought is Extrasensory to cover Fighting-types.
---
I'm a Christian, and proud of it.
3DS FC: 2363 - 6821 - 1127
#23KeldonisPosted 12/5/2013 2:35:30 PM(edited)
AuraWielder posted...
Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, and Surf are the three that absolutely will be on Greninja. Also, I'm leaning towards nicknaming him Zael from "The Last Story" for a more unique name now.
I wanted Timid because I wasn't planning to use U-turn on him. I'm not so sure about Spikes, given that it takes 3 turns to properly set up. I was just planning to use a fourth coverage move. Maybe Grass Knot. My best thought is Extrasensory to cover Fighting-types.

Grass Knot or Extrasensory work then. I agree with Spikes, but the main thing I was trying to point out is with all those Rotom-W's, Volt Switchers, etc, by running Spikes you would change to Ground type upon the predicted Electric Attack, making it nullified....while at the same time getting a free turn/hazard up.

This likely is a one time thing though, as any semi-decent opponent would remember what you did, and predict accordingly. Getting up 3 layers on such an extremely frail poke would not be easy.

In general though, predictions and those aside, you'd be better off with GK or Sensory.

Also,

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 343-406 (185.4 - 219.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 343-406 (158 - 187%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even against a Max HP invested Mamo (which it never runs) Still guaranteed OHKO.

So yeah aside from the typical Sash/Scarf revenging you don't really have an issue.

The choice is yours.
---
#24AuraWielder(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 2:37:52 PM
I'll probably go with Grass Knot, then. Seems like it could be useful.
And that reminds me, I only have the power items. I still need to get that Life Orb.
---
#25darkninja157Posted 12/5/2013 2:41:35 PM
Might also want to use Scald over Surf or Hydro Pump. Not as powerful as either but the added potential for burn is a nice touch.
---
If you own a Wii you need to buy and play Xenoblade Chronicles
Currently playing - Pokemon X FC - 3265-5067-4924 Add for Friend Safari (Water type) - SV 2746
#26KeldonisPosted 12/5/2013 2:48:23 PM(edited)
AuraWielder posted...
And that reminds me, I only have the power items. I still need to get that Life Orb.

It's up to you.

As I originally said, I don't like the fact Grass Knot relies on weight. It can either be a base 120 power STAB (Mamoswine) or a pitiful base 20 power (Rotom-W).

But it does change you to Grass which also negates EQ/Electric damage, so it can be nice for the added resists as well being that standard Greninja is Water type, and will likely be seeing some Electric attacks coming its way.
---
#27AuraWielder(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 5:13:51 PM
Keldonis posted...
AuraWielder posted...

It's up to you.

As I originally said, I don't like the fact Grass Knot relies on weight. It can either be a base 120 power STAB (Mamoswine) or a pitiful base 20 power (Rotom-W).

But it does change you to Grass which also negates EQ/Electric damage, so it can be nice for the added resists as well being that standard Greninja is Water type, and will likely be seeing some Electric attacks coming its way.

I'll probably go with Grass Knot to trip up Thunderbolt users.
---
#28AuraWielder(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 7:59:47 AM
Finally got it to evolve into Greninja. 4HP/252SpAtk/252Speed is what I went with.
Nickname: Zael
Nature: Timid
Ability: Protean
31/x/31/31/x/31 IV set
Move set:
Surf
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Grass Knot

Seems pretty good to me. Your consensus?
---