This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else think Pursuit is an overrated move?

#1iKhan88Posted 12/8/2013 4:39:12 PM
I get that it hits pokes with a base 80 power move without letting them switch out, but it just seems really situational to me. Especially since two of the biggest users of it run it with a Choice item, limiting it's use even further.

Whenever I run a T-tar, Snorlax, or Scizor, I always opt for other options.
---
This signature does not exist
#2Gogito4Posted 12/8/2013 4:39:48 PM
If you believe it to be "situational", then you suck at predicting.
---
Tales of Xillia... here I come!
Dissidia 012: Main:Terra Subs:Squall,WoL,Cloud and Kain.
#3Redsceptile321Posted 12/8/2013 4:40:32 PM
Gogito4 posted...
If you believe it to be "situational", then you suck at predicting.

---
FC: 2852-7455-1876
Pokemon X name: Alwheezy
#4Companion_Cube_Posted 12/8/2013 4:41:44 PM
I almost never see choiced sets for any of those three you listed
---
Pokemon Y Friend Safari Pokemon: Dedenne, Electabuzz, Zebstricka
3DS FC: 3024 - 5019 - 8681 (I'm low on Friend slots ATM) IGN: X
#5Xanoe_rulesPosted 12/8/2013 4:43:29 PM
Psychic- and Ghost-types, the only targets you should be Pursuiting, often can't do a thing to any of the three pokemon you mentioned. Pursuit nets you a free kill against and forces your opponent to play conservatively with most any Psychic- or Ghost-type. I fail to see how that's overrated.
---
3DS FC: 0259-1451-4788
Friend Safari: Piloswine, Snorunt, Beartic ~~ IGN: Sozane
#6iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 5:36:56 PM
Xanoe_rules posted...
Psychic- and Ghost-types, the only targets you should be Pursuiting, often can't do a thing to any of the three pokemon you mentioned. Pursuit nets you a free kill against and forces your opponent to play conservatively with most any Psychic- or Ghost-type. I fail to see how that's overrated.

Because most of the common Psychic and Ghost types either have a way to switch out safely or to not switch out and harm the trapper. Most also have enough bulk to tank the pursuit

Ghosts:
Jellicent cripples Scizor, T-Tar, and Snorlax with burns
Aegislash lols at Pursuit with King's Shield and lols at T-Tar with Sacred Sword
Trevenant's entire strategy revolves around Substitute, so it won't care either

Psychics:
Latias and Latios run either HP Fire or Surf or both for Scizor and T-Tar. Both have strong bulk
Espeon often carries moves like Baton Pass, HP Fire, HP Fight, and Dazzling Gleam. Often runs Dual Screens in addition to bulky EVs
Reuniclus is bulky and carries Focus Blast and/or HP Fire
Celebi often carries BP or U-Turn in addition to bulky stats
Xatu often carries U-Turn.

On top of that, you need to get into the situation where you have your T-Tar, Scizor, or Snorlax against a Psychic or Ghost type.

So I say Pursuit is situational because it's really only useful when you have a frail Psychic or Ghost type who happens to have no switch out moves or no moves to attack back with. Really the only pokemon that completely fit under that description are Alakazam, Gengar, and Starmie.
---
This signature does not exist
#7Thepenguinking2Posted 12/8/2013 5:38:36 PM
Yes, just like a lot of dark type moves.
The only dark moves I like are Thief, Dark Pulse and Nasty Plot.
---
Sylveon is bada**! People who agree: 3
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and WF!
#8LexifoxPosted 12/8/2013 5:40:09 PM
Yes.

People who are bad at Pokemon.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#9OmniMidKnightPosted 12/8/2013 5:42:16 PM
Scizor would be better off with swords dance or agility as apposed to choice items. And why choice-lax? He has access to belly drum!
---
Pokemon W: 3825 7871 9422 3DS: 4553 9997 9085
"Keep that bandwagon rollin' because I won't be getting on."
#10Redsceptile321Posted 12/8/2013 5:42:41 PM
Everything you posted is extremely situational. You make it seem like all the Pokemon have outs to these guys. If that were the case you wouldn't play the game.
---
FC: 2852-7455-1876
Pokemon X name: Alwheezy