This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would Pokemon be better if localization teams stopped localizing Pokemon names?

#1balkj06Posted 12/17/2013 8:29:26 AM
Would Pokemon be better as a franchise if all Pokemon/Humans/Names/Attacks where all they same?

So Instead of Charizard begin called Charizard he was called Lizardon.
Cilan would be named Dent,

Pallet town would be Masara Town

Instead of saying "use Attrack" you would say "use totally in love" or Meromero

We would catch our Pocket Monster's in Monster Ball's.

Dark type pokemon would be the Evil type.

You got the Pink Badge instead of the Soul Badge from Kyo/Koga

My personal thoughts are Attacks are fine translated so it makes sense and It's just a attack it not like it has any meaning to it.

Badges the English version does sound better Boulder Badge does sounds more mainly then Gray Badge.

But it had a deeper meaning in the Japanese version They where colour's they would have been loss in translation.

I got the Green badge from Green in a place called the colour of green eternity from a squeal game to Pokemon Green.

Does sound as green in the English version.

Human names in doesn't matter if they sound weird, It's their name and I don't like any of them being Localization since I do watch the anime in Japanese when I go and play the games It's annoying having a character I really liked, getting a new name I don't like it.
example Dent they changed his name.

As a kid I watched the 4kids version and the males sound more mainly when I learn the Japanese name like Kenji, Tracey sounds more feminine to me.
(I have not meant a guy called Tracey in real life, so I could be wrong)

Kyo got given a extra syllable at the end and became Koga, Why?

Pokemon names most of the time do sound better in English than they do in Japanese. Fire, Sand, Spear, Coil, Crab, Ghost, BooBurn and Lizardon

Some do sound better however like Hellgar, Deathmas, Dentula, Nutrey, Daikenki, Onidrill, Blacky and Elezardo (I wish they where the English names)

Really yes they changed Lizardon to Chirzard and Elezardo to Heliolisk
(where is the Electric and lizard in that word, at least Chirzard sounds like Fire Dragon. But Heliolisk what is that? I would preferred a name like Elezard!)

I do know all 151+ pokemon names (sadly I do not know all 718) In their English version and I do use their english names.

But when It come's to my Favorite Pokemon only. I would try to learn their Japaneses names even nickname it their Japanese name. Because It's my favorite Pokemon.

If I go to a Italian restaurant I don't want everything getting a Amerization. I don't care If I can't pronounce the food or understand why It's called what it is. It's Italian I accept it

If I got to a English restaurant, It would be embarrassing if I can't pronounce some food or understand and be angry as to why it has a weird name I don't accept it

Same with Pokemon. I may never understand why Kirinriki is called what it is or that I can't pronounce Fushigidane. It's from Japan they have jokes that no one in the world understands. I accept it.

Embarrassing that I can't pronounce Ferrothorn (I can pronounce Nutrey) and I don't understand the meaning behind Heliolisk name. In the end I don't accept it.

Fun Fact with pokemon localization: *Not sure how correct this is

If you talk to the Tourist Lady in pokemon x/y She would speak in Japanese with the Names Looker and PokeBall in Japanese. and Not Handsome and Monster Ball.

However in the Japanese version the Tourist Lady speaks in English with the name Handsome in English. PokeBall however is called Pokeball and Not Monster Ball.

So would Pokemon be better if localization teams stopped localizing Pokemon names, Or is it better they they do some localization on some parts?

In regard to canon, What is the canon term for Pokemon/character's etc... names.
#2Ultima_WraithPosted 12/17/2013 8:32:28 AM
Only to people who think something is automatically better just because it's japanese sounding.
---
| 3DS Friend Code 0430-8284-1167 | Gamertag: UltimaWraith
Vs. Recorder Videos: 73PG-WWWW-WWWX-UQD3 & UUNG-WWWW-WWW2-K47K
#3SalsaSavantPosted 12/17/2013 8:33:13 AM
Ultima_Wraith posted...
Only to people who think something is automatically better just because it's japanese sounding.

---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound just got re-released in the US.
#4BLAKUboyPosted 12/17/2013 8:33:18 AM
From: Ultima_Wraith | Posted: 12/17/2013 9:32:28 AM | #002

---
And then Terra's all, "SHUT UP, DAD! I WISH XEHANORT WAS MY FATHER!! HE GETS ME!!" And runs away on his motorcycle. >_> - KMA10k
#5NME_EnterprisesPosted 12/17/2013 8:39:28 AM(edited)
balkj06 posted...
I may never understand why Kirinriki is called what it is

Girafarig is a palindrome based on giraffe, based on its two-headed and reverse appearance.
Kirinriki is a palindrome of kirin (giraffe). Kirin is also the name of the Qln, the Chinese unicorn. The Qilin was feared by criminals as it was able to detect guilt. After sensing the guilt, the Qilin would stare at the guilty party and pierce its heart.

balkj06 posted...
and I don't understand the meaning behind Heliolisk name

Heliolisk is a combination of helios (Ancient Greek for sun), basilisk, and possibly obelisk, an ancient Egyptian monument that represented a ray of sunlight piercing the clouds and hitting the ground at a ninety-degree angle.

Honestly these are pretty straightforward if you just know where various words come from

also games like Ace Attorney and Pokemon benefit from localization.
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 134
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#6BLAKUboyPosted 12/17/2013 8:36:39 AM
From: NME_Enterprises | Posted: 12/17/2013 9:35:05 AM | #005
Ace Attorney

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=120913
---
The problem is this game just feels like walking down one long tunnel. - Newhopes
True, but that still doesn't mean it is linear. - NuramaTheBD
#7NME_EnterprisesPosted 12/17/2013 8:38:48 AM
i still love that comic

But the localization is fine with me. I mean that universe has possession and ghosts and psycho locks and magic bracelets running around. Japan being remodeled into "California" is the least of my worries.
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 134
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#8Tsukasa1891Posted 12/17/2013 8:39:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9BLAKUboyPosted 12/17/2013 8:40:19 AM
"Eat your hamburgers, Apollo."
---
Six Eidolons, Five Golden Rings, Four Elemental Fiends, Three Squawking Males, Two Lesbians, and One Big Ass Long, Long Line - The Final Fantasy XIII board
#10TurtleatlawPosted 12/17/2013 8:48:40 AM
balkj06 posted...
Really yes they changed Lizardon to Chirzard and Elezardo to Heliolisk
(where is the Electric and lizard in that word, at least Chirzard sounds like Fire Dragon. But Heliolisk what is that? I would preferred a name like Elezard!)

Elezard . . . what a horrible name.

If you don't know basic etymology, why not take some time to look up the root words of a name?

Take the time to understand what your criticizing. Don't just assume words don't have any meaning just because you don't understand them can't be bothered to take the thirty seconds it takes to look it up. Oh, and then, best yet, don't go coming up with something stupid like "elezard."
---
FC: 1779 0670 2328