This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So... seeing supposed-to-be-fairies as not being fairies... FAIRY TYPE = FAILURE

#61LexifoxPosted 12/26/2013 1:12:00 AM
iKhan88 posted...
-Chinese dragons are serpentine.

Chinese dragons are also gentle creatures associated with clouds and wisdom.

-But just because they could have done it doesn't mean they had to. There are also examples of them not dropping the flying typing when they could have like with Butterfree (who didn't learn any flying type moves until Gen 2, when it only learned Gust) and Masquerain.

The point is that Charizard had ample chances to become a Dragon-type but was never given this, for good reason.

-And being global means that they should name their Dragons after salamanders? But I see where you are going with this. You are saying that GF wouldn't have made western dragons in a gen thats largely targeted towards Japanese audiences. But I'd argue that there is no absence of western dragons in Japanese pop culture. JRPGs often featured western style dragons like Bahamut. Animes often included western dragon-like creatures. Japanese mythology might have a different image of a dragon, but that hasn't necessarily taken over in pop culture.

There isn't an absence of Western dragons in Japanese pop culture, but there wasn't a dragon that fit the Western dragon concept until Salamence, when the game started to have a global market.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#62Lil_PuddinPosted 12/26/2013 1:14:07 AM
The lake trios are not fairies. The only thing fairy-like is their names, but their behavior suggest something very different. Psychic makes much more sense since they all affect something that is ultimately controlled by the mind. Willpower. Emotions. Memories. I could see them being part fairy, but it'd make more sense to just leave them be Psychic types.

Cherrim, Milotic, and the other few listed throughout this topic are most certainly fairy like in some aspects. Milotic is basically a mermaidsirenserpent thing, so slap a mythological tag/fairy typing on it and call it a day. Cherrim is a flower that hides away among the flowers, but transforms into a cute little floatydancy thing - it basically looks like Florges' fatter but cuter sibling. The fairy typing is basically exclusive to mythological things (which could also include most grass types) or troublemakers (not dark types).

Chansey/Blissey = no fairy typing. It would ruin things severely balance wise, and it also makes no sense since they aren't based on mythology, nor are they trouble makers. They're short and stout nurses who heal themselves by slathering themselves in softboiled egg goop.
---
I juss dun understayand.
[1712 Shiny Value]
#63reaverzPosted 12/26/2013 1:16:54 AM
I'm willing to bank that the true potential and/or horror of the Fairy type will not be realized until Gen VII, which will bring us more part-Fairy types with great stat spreads. Already I can see a potential physical sweeping Fairy/Ground type causing a metagame shakeup.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#64Emmy_AltavaPosted 12/26/2013 1:45:36 AM
With regards to Charizard and Gyarados being flying, there's a very obvious point nobody seems to have made.

Abilities don't exist at this time. Levitate doesn't exist at this time. Almost everything before generation 3 capable of flying had the flying type, with Beedill and Venomoth - low-flying, poisonous insects - as the only exception. Therefore, the ground-immunity was perceived as being more important than the at-the-time-irrelevant label of 'dragon'.

By the time of Generation 3, their typings had been pretty much grandfathered into the game.

The one you should be asking questions about is Mega Gyarados.
#65RingsOfUranusPosted 12/26/2013 2:28:38 AM
iKhan88 posted...
Mtvn posted...
Isn't that carp becomes a dragon myth also have something about it going on a rampage so It doesn't become a dragon?

Gyarados goes on a rampage so its not a dragon

(If I'm thinking about the right myth)

There is absolutely no source on this. It's a false rumor that's only been passed around by word of mouth on the internet.

Not sure if trolling, or ignorant. It's Asian folklore, not a wikileak. Try going to the library and getting a book. http://www.zengyotaku.com/carp_jump_dragon_gate.html

I actually learned this story in middle school.
---
Official Gengar of the Pokemon X board
"I'm excited to see what don't has for the ps4" -HomieKnockout
#66IwantsandshrewPosted 12/27/2013 4:54:22 PM
Ziaforce posted...
Lexifox posted...
Gogito4 posted...
Lexifox posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Just like how Charizard and Gyarados not being dragon types makes Dragon typing a failure right?

Stop pushing your Charizard fetish into everything.

To be fair, as much as I don't normally agree with iKhan, he has a point.

Except that there are valid reasons that the two Pokemon are not dragons.

Not really. They look like dragons and act like dragon. Gyarados in particular is based on a legend about a carp who swam to the top of a waterfall and transformed into a dragon, so it's silly that it isn't a dragon-type.

Gyarados was Water/Flying because Water/Dragon would have no weaknesses in gen 1.
---
RESPECT THE DOGE
This is Thepenguinking2. I will not use my other account until I hatch a shiny Sandshrew, in which I will close this account.
#67FryDays5000Posted 12/28/2013 8:11:37 AM
Iwantsandshrew posted...
Gyarados was Water/Flying because Water/Dragon would have no weaknesses in gen 1.
Wait, Dragon wasn't weak against itself back then?
---
Freiza may be cool, but his brother is..... COOLER(get it?)
3DS FC: 0645-6947-9076 Steel Safari:Ferroseed,Fortress, and Klefki
#68DigiDude77Posted 12/28/2013 9:21:08 AM
FryDays5000 posted...
Iwantsandshrew posted...
Wait, Dragon wasn't weak against itself back then?

The only dragon move was Dragonbreath, which did a set amount of damage.
---
Pokemon SoulSilver: ~*Friend Code: 1462-8550-1166 Name: Fyn*~
Pokemon White: ~*Friend Code: 0647 5616 2276 Name: Myzou*~
#69LexifoxPosted 12/28/2013 9:25:52 AM
Emmy_Altava posted...
With regards to Charizard and Gyarados being flying, there's a very obvious point nobody seems to have made.

Abilities don't exist at this time. Levitate doesn't exist at this time. Almost everything before generation 3 capable of flying had the flying type, with Beedill and Venomoth - low-flying, poisonous insects - as the only exception. Therefore, the ground-immunity was perceived as being more important than the at-the-time-irrelevant label of 'dragon'.

By the time of Generation 3, their typings had been pretty much grandfathered into the game.

The one you should be asking questions about is Mega Gyarados.

You're reading into the reasoning Game Freak had for making the types. That aside?

1. They basically planned to end things at Gen 2, which would have been a good time to retcon the Charmander/Magikarp lines when the gameplay was more balanced.

2. The fact that Megados ISN'T Dragon, but Charizard X is, and the latter exists because of how popular Charizard is with fans, suggests a lot more than you give credit for.

Iwantsandshrew posted...

Because Game Freak REALLY cared about competitive balance in Gen 1. This is why everything was so balanced.

DigiDude77 posted...

Dragon Rage, actually. DB came in Gen 2.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#70DigiDude77Posted 12/28/2013 9:27:00 AM
Lexifox posted...
Emmy_Altava posted...
DigiDude77 posted...

Dragon Rage, actually. DB came in Gen 2.

Potato, Potahto. It's 8:30 AM And I've been up all night. :p
---
Pokemon SoulSilver: ~*Friend Code: 1462-8550-1166 Name: Fyn*~
Pokemon White: ~*Friend Code: 0647 5616 2276 Name: Myzou*~